Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vehicles

What general era was your vehichle made:

• 30s or earlier

Votes: 38 15.8%
  • 40s

Votes: 26 10.8%
  • 50s

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • 60s

Votes: 52 21.6%
  • 70s-90s

Votes: 64 26.6%
  • New with classic features

Votes: 47 19.5%

• Total voters

shamus

Suspended
bronco_2.jpg

my daily driver...

Naama

Practically Family
Ah, all those great cars make me melancholic......... :( This thread makes me want to drive my mothers ugly little renault clio against a tree!

Naama

Speedster

Practically Family
Some of my previous cars:

1966 Ford Fairlane 500 XL 2 dr ht with 289 cui V8 and C4 automatic in Wimbledon White with red interior (Picture is not of my actual car):

Fairlane66.jpg

Sold it in 2000 to buy this:

porsche008.jpg

A Porsche 356A Speedster Replica. Built on a VW Beetle shortened floorpan. This had to go in 2003 though due to house, kids etc.

In 1996 i bought this one brand new:

113_1383_2.jpg

A Rover Mini Cooper. That one was sold last year and replaced with a modern
5-door hatchback.

Now i only have the memories and dreams of future cars (and bikes).

Speedster

matei

One Too Many
Wow... very cool pictures everyone!

I am a pedestrian now, by choice. Driving and parking in London would put me in the poorhouse. In Ireland I either couldn't or didn't need to drive when we lived in Dublin, but when we moved to the suburbs I got a somewhat uninspired 98 VW Polo. We called it "the donkey" because it was grey and difficult to drive (no manual steering, slow, cramped). Dependable but unexciting.

When we lived in the US I had several cars, but my favourites were my VW Golfs and my MGBs... a '72 and a '77.

I think those big American cars from the 30s - to the early '50s are tr?© cool. Some of you have some very nice examples.

That being said, this would be the car of my dreams (if it only came in a 4-door model):
volga-00.jpg

Here is some more info (it is in Russian)

They basically took a V12 from a BMW 850 CSi and shoehorned into a Volga sedan. They had to work on the frame and suspension obviously! Very little of the original car remained.

I would settle for a V8 though! ;)

CWetherby

One of the Regulars
Indy Magnoli said:
Here is our 1936 Ford V8 Deluxe:

30s%20Family3.jpg

And here she is getting push-started by the groomsmen at a wedding:

1936-2.jpg

lol

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Wow!! What a beautiful car!! Even getting pushed it looks great!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
In your old cars, do you have to pour in lead with the gas when filling up? My dad is restoring several late 60's Olds Cutlass's and he informed me that you have to pour lead in those when using unleaded gas otherwise it could hurt the engine. This made me wonder if others have to do this on their old cars or if it's just certain older cars.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
ITG said:
In your old cars, do you have to pour in lead with the gas when filling up? My dad is restoring several late 60's Olds Cutlass's and he informed me that you have to pour lead in those when using unleaded gas otherwise it could hurt the engine. This made me wonder if others have to do this on their old cars or if it's just certain older cars.

I don't think so, once you use fairly high octane gas at the pump. Also if you are not racing these cars or carrying 6 people up a hill. I think this applies for '40s cars too.

H.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
matei said:
Here is some more info (it is in Russian)

They basically took a V12 from a BMW 850 CSi and shoehorned into a Volga sedan. They had to work on the frame and suspension obviously! Very little of the original car remained.

I would settle for a V8 though! ;)

Blimey!

Woh a moh-ta!!!

H.

:D

Michaelson

One Too Many
ITG said:

Depends on the make of car. MOPAR products do not require lead in the gasoline, as the lifters in the engines were built of hardened steel left over from aircraft machining from the War. Ford and GM products did not, and therefore require the lead additives that replace the lost lead that used to be put in gasoline.

If he's restoring an old Cutlass, he may want to look into hardened lifters to replace the originals, just to get past the problem of lead free gas. The problem was more apparent in cars prior to 1960, so his car will be borderline.

Regards! Michaelson

Regards! Michaelson

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Michaelson said:
Depends on the make of car. MOPAR products do not require lead in the gasoline, as the lifters in the engines were built of hardened steel left over from aircraft machining from the War. Ford and GM products did not, and therefore require the lead additives that replace the lost lead that used to be put in gasoline.
Regards! Michaelson

Any idea about the Buicks (pre-war)?

Wild Root

Gone Home
You've all seen Jenny.

Some of you have even ridden in her too.

For the new kids on the block, I give you....

Jenny, the '46 Plymouth P-15 Special Deluxe!

plymouth135qo.jpg

Cheapest car I've ever owned! Best looking car I've ever owned and a very reliable means of transport! Putting money into this girl is not a chore at all; it's an investment well worth its weight in gold! Plymouth Built great cars!

=WR=

Mike K.

One Too Many
Nice ride Root...what does she get on mileage?

Here's my vintage ride...good ol' pedal power. Besides the 30s-40s, I also collect things from the more innocent years of the 60s. Here's my adult Schwinn Stingray. The originals were little 20" bikes, but I took a 24" frame and scaled up all the components. Candy apple red, ape hanger bars, and banana seat...it's a really fun ride down the beach.
MikesBike.jpg

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Michaelson said:

If he's restoring an old Cutlass, he may want to look into hardened lifters to replace the originals, just to get past the problem of lead free gas. The problem was more apparent in cars prior to 1960, so his car will be borderline.

Regards! Michaelson

Regards! Michaelson

Valve seats can be a problem too-

B
T

EL COLORADO

One of the Regulars
Speedster said:
porsche008.jpg

A Porsche 356A Speedster Replica. Built on a VW Beetle shortened floorpan. This had to go in 2003 though due to house, kids etc.

Heh, heh, ...thats the "Reckless" car.

matei said:

I havent stopped thinking about the Volga V12 since the day it was premiered. It still leaves me speechless.
But those guys are raving madmen! The company built only one of those Volgas and they REFUSE to build anymore,..on account a they think it would be "unimaginative"!
Psychos!!

That car by the way is COMPLETELY hand made inside and out and 100% metal.
Just like the old days.
So it can be done. Cars today can be made and styled to be just as great as the classics. But I guess this t-shirt and sneakers world today dont deserve em anyway.

EC

Shadow

New in Town
70 Trans AM

Cool cars!
I had a 70 Trans Am for 19 years
Sold it a few years back.
Loved that car but I didn't use it & needed the $.
Last I heard it was in AZ

Also ran on leaded fuel.
I'd supplement the gas with the lead substitute stuff.
It was a 10.5 to 1 hi compression 400 ci RA3 engine...

It was a sweet car!

I have a 88 Volvo
It gets me where I want to go...

:D

shamus

Suspended
What was the logic on the poll in only breaking down the 40's 50's 60's and grouping everything else together?

Tin Pan Sally

shamus said:
What was the logic on the poll in only breaking down the 40's 50's 60's and grouping everything else together?

Thank you for assuming I used logic lol
Most people I meet have a daily driver which was made in the 70s-90s that they aren't very interested in talking about. The focus of conversation usually seems to be on the older restorations or the brand new vehicles. Very few people I meet use a mode of transportation earlier than the 1930s.
See; reason and accountability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk