Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vehicles

What general era was your vehichle made:

• 30s or earlier

Votes: 38 15.8%
  • 40s

Votes: 26 10.8%
  • 50s

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • 60s

Votes: 52 21.6%
  • 70s-90s

Votes: 64 26.6%
  • New with classic features

Votes: 47 19.5%

• Total voters

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
Twitch said:
The 39s and 40s are simply the best looking of the era in my humble opinion.

Thanks for the compliment. I have to agree about the styling. Ford hit a home run in 39. In my humble (and admittedly biased) opinion, the 39 Ford front end is just gorgeous. Ford put a lot of effort into styling during those years sometimes it worked and sometimes (1938) it didn't.

Tin Pan Sally

1asp071.gif
A girl can dream (thanks T-Paul)
1asp080.gif
carSally50s.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
The Reno Kid said:
Thanks for the compliment. I have to agree about the styling. Ford hit a home run in 39. In my humble (and admittedly biased) opinion, the 39 Ford front end is just gorgeous. Ford put a lot of effort into styling during those years sometimes it worked and sometimes (1938) it didn't.

Woe woe woe... 1938 was a good looking year I think... I think Ford had some great styling that year and in 1937... heck, 1932-1940 had some very nice looks in the Ford department. Not crazy for the '41 but the '42 looked nice.

I'm a MoPar man but, heck, I enjoy a good 30's or early 40's Ford too.;)

=WR=

PS. I love most 20's to 40's cars... any make!

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
My old lead sled.

1971 Mach-1, 351C 4V & 4spd, with the factory ram air set up still intact, the car came with some unusual manual quick steering box that Ford made for an aborted 71' Trans-Am season. (It's a beast to parallel park)

I've had it since 1980.

Mach-1copy.jpg

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
Wild Root said:
1938 was a good looking year I think... I think Ford had some great styling that year and in 1937

I agree with you about the '37s (and just about every other Ford from the 30s) but the '38s just don't do it for me. Generally speaking, I'm not a pre-war MOPAR guy but I have to say the '37, '38, and especially the '39 Plymouths are great looking cars. I like most of the cars from the 1930-42 period, but a few stand out for me: 1936 Chevy Master Deluxe (esp. the coupe), 1936-42 Lincoln-Zephyr, 1936-37 Pontiac, 1934 and 1939 Buick, any Packard, 1939 Caddy, the aforementioned 1939 Plymouth, and (of course) 1939 Ford. Most cars from the golden age make me go weak in the knees, but the ones above make me swoon!:)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Say wasn’t FDR a big fan of the 38 Ford V-8’s? I think he had a four door convertible… or, Phaeton I believe it was. He loved that car! It’s so funny to think that a president of the US preferred a Ford over say, something more expensive like a Cadillac or Lincoln.

For me, the ’38 Plymouth’s don’t do it for me really… I mean, if some one gave me one, I’d take it gladly but, something about the grill design on it… not crazy about it. Now, the ’39 Plymouth… Ooooooh doggie! That’s the winner right there! I’m 100% with you on all the cars you mentioned but, the 38 Ford and the 38 Plymouth… so, that’s pretty good I think!

=WR=

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
Wild Root said:
Say wasn’t FDR a big fan of the 38 Ford V-8’s? I think he had a four door convertible… or, Phaeton I believe it was. He loved that car! It’s so funny to think that a president of the US preferred a Ford over say, something more expensive like a Cadillac or Lincoln.

For me, the ’38 Plymouth’s don’t do it for me really… I mean, if some one gave me one, I’d take it gladly but, something about the grill design on it… not crazy about it. Now, the ’39 Plymouth… Ooooooh doggie! That’s the winner right there! I’m 100% with you on all the cars you mentioned but, the 38 Ford and the 38 Plymouth… so, that’s pretty good I think!

=WR=

You are exactly correct about FDR. He had a '38 four-door convertible specially modified with hand controls and he drove it frequently. Regarding the Plymouths, I have to admit I probably like the '38 because of The Big Sleep. Check out a '36 Chevy for a better treatment of the domed grill look.

In my humble opinion, 1939 was the absolute high-water mark in automobile design history. For evidence, I offer a couple of my personal favorites:

ee9d2af4.jpg

1939 Cadillac

ee9d2f2f.jpg

1939 Lincoln-Zephyr

Interestingly, I was leafing through an old book (copyright 1940, I think) on cars at a friend's house a while back. The author went on at great length lamenting the lack of style in "modern" cars. To him, nothing that was made after 1932 was worth looking at.lol The more things change, the more they stay the same!

Wild Root

Gone Home
You had a few past lives... that happened at the same time... Wow Marc, you sure got around! Now, those are the cars I like to see! I'd love to see some of the members here who have pre-50's cars... anything! I know we have a few members that have some unique autos... let's see'em!

=RS=

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Kaela

Vendor
I have a Buick Skylark, 1964...
Well, that's really quite modern for my taste, but I just stumbled on to this car and fell in Love with it... unfortunately, now I'm moving across the country and need to sell the poor gal....

051406_1141c.jpg

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
My husband and I regularly swap vehicles, so I'm usually either driving a 2000 Chevy Tahoe or a 2004 Jeep Wrangler. Lately I've been driving the Wrangler most days.

47b4db30b3127cce9bb960a008ec00000016108BbM2zhw3aW

47b4ce27b3127cce9bb961b3f3eb00000016108BbM2zhw3aW

Nothing vintage. Sorry! Jeeps are a classic, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ