Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Vintage 1920s & 1930s knitwear & Crocheted Garments

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
crochet+dress.jpg

I’ve stupidly started to knit this- I doubt I’ll ever have an occasion to wear it, and I doubt I’ll ever finish it, as I most probably will loose interest or regain some sanity in the middle of the making! :p

Last edited:

JennieWren

Familiar Face
This is the 30s knit swimsuit I have my eye on getting made. Bet the colours would bleed, though, when wet :(
attachment

It depends on what the knitter makes it out of. There are many yarns that won't bleed. A lot of wool is oversaturated with dye and will loose some colour the first or second time that you wash it, and then never bleed again (especially if you add a little vinegar to the wash).

VintageBaroness

One of the Regulars
OOOOh, good to know. Might just need to go ahead with this idea! :)
It depends on what the knitter makes it out of. There are many yarns that won't bleed. A lot of wool is oversaturated with dye and will loose some colour the first or second time that you wash it, and then never bleed again (especially if you add a little vinegar to the wash).

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Right. Had the camera out today so took a few pics of some things on my mannequin. All are 1930s. Yes, I realise it's not the same as seeing it on a body, but I'm Home Alone, so you'll have to forgive me! Oh, and I was too lazy to get the iron out as well! :p

This one I dyed. It was white and rather unwearable, so sea green it became! It is very long and there is a turned over piece where the skirt meets the top. Obviously a bit long for the original wearer. Also the collar was a funny shape so it has been turned in and stitched.
082.jpg

Later 1930s two piece. I will be changing the belt buckle soon as I get it off a friend of mine. I'm not a fan of diamente on daywear.
085.jpg

Made from a sort of cotton/rayon. Lighter than it looks. I changed the buttons - the ones on there when I got it were put on by the friend I bought it from. These look alot better.
087.jpg

JennieWren

Familiar Face
If you can find it in the library "The Knitter's Book of Yarn" by Clara Parkes has a pretty good fibre run-down if you don't know what you are looking for, but generally for something that is going to get wet you want wool, since it will be able to absorb water without getting weighted down by it, and will keep it's shape pretty well. Any newly knit piece unless the knitter had occasion to wash the yarn prior to knitting (I'm glaring at you barfing cat of doom!) ought to be washed with some vinegar in the wash to keep your colours nice and bright. If you are getting a bespoke item made for you, be picky about your yarn and the types of dyes that were used on it. In TO you've got access to a number of great yarn stores (jealous!), and I'm sure that the ladies (or perhaps gents) working there would love to help you out. There's nothing a knitter likes more than talking about yarn, except perhaps knitting it (and accumulating it, ostensibly to knit with, but mainly, if we're really honest, just to fondle).
This is a pretty nice little article on dyeing yarn: http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer03/FEATaciddye.html

Miss Sis

One Too Many
CrazyDaisy, thank you! It is manufactured, although there is no label, but I have seen a crochet pattern with the same chevron stitch pattern floating about.

That's something I don't do, crochet. I can do a few very basic things, but I just can't get the hang of it, so I keep knitting instead.

I like this suit as I can wear different colour slips under it and change the look. I probably like it best with brown under it to give it some depth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana