Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage French tailored garments.

Next in the "show us your" line, I ask for French vintage suits. I'll start it off with a stonker!

This is made of the heaviest fabric I've ever encountered. Very much an overcoat weight fabric. And a very basic, but lovely pattern in a nice colourway. The trousers feature a buckle back. Typical french hook fastening to the top of the fly closure. I think this one is quite early. Early 30s? Difficult to tell without labels, but the original tailor's box looks old. From a small-ish town in the Pyrénées. From the days of single-digit telephone numbers …

FrenchCheckSuit1.jpg

FrenchCheckSuit2.jpg

FrenchCheckSuit3.jpg

FrenchCheckSuit4.jpg

FrenchCheckSuit5.jpg

Last edited:
I hope BenStephens sees the thread. He has a wonderful 1920s French belt back suit. Made for some kind of aristocrat, I think. I know he's also had quite a bit of luck in France and Belgium. I never seem to find anything on trips to the Continent, though.

I have another couple bits and pieces hanging around - there were quite a few sellers in London markets had a flood of french gear a couple years ago - still pretty scarce stuff, though, to find in decent condition. An awful lot of wrecked French gear on the market.

[EDIT] Let's not restrict it to suits. Anything tailored is good for this thread (i.e. to keep it separate from workwear).

bk

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Interesting. With a long vent and the lowest button not above but level with the pockets.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
most 3 button SBs have the lowest button roughly level with the pockets.

L1040216.jpg

410brown.jpg

(apologies for going off French tailoring topic)

My perception was that in the 30s, especially the early 30s, and the 20s the tendency is towards at least a slightly higher button stance. Your pics support this view. Lowest button level with the top of the pockets seems to be the norm for 40s, no?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
My perception was that in the 30s, especially the early 30s, and the 20s the tendency is towards at least a slightly higher button stance.

only during the early 20s 'jazz suit' phase did the buttons get well above the pockets, but those suits are very rare.
other than that they're usually level with the pockets (or an inch above or below).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points