• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Show us your vintage home!

Discussion in 'Your Vintage Home' started by LolitaHaze, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Big Man

Big Man My Mail is Forwarded Here

Here's a picture of my"vintage home" taken today through the windshield of my '48 Plymouth as we were returning home from an afternoon drive.

FB_IMG_1504924150819.jpg

2. ⇧ Iconic shot. We've all been on that road and seen that house (and wished it was ours).

While the foliage is somewhat different, that echoes many roads and many homes in Maine.

vitanola and Big Man like this.
  3. My goodness. I love this forum.

I'll be posting photos of our home at some point, it was built in the late 40's by a local congressman and restored in the early 80's. We also own a property that is adjacent to the local Mission that was built at the turn of the last century by the grandson of one of the Donner party survivors.

scotrace likes this.
  4. A chest from the attic, another junk in the house. I store the old cloth in it, it will come in
    handy when the sewing machine becomes operational.
    IMG_9340.JPG

HadleyH1 and BobHufford like this.
  5. Big Man

FB_IMG_1509975707849.jpg

The view from one of the bedroom windows of my old house.

6. Kahuna

Kahuna One of the Regulars

What an evocative photo! I always enjoy the sense of family history your pictures bring.

Fading Fast and HadleyH1 like this.
  7. Big Man

Thank you.

8. Hello, kids! Most probably none of you remember me, but I'm back, anyway. :D

So, here's a virtual tour of my home out in Elgin, Illinois. It was built in 1901 and still has all the original keys for the doors, as well as the built-in liquor cabinet, laundry chute, cabinets, coal room, woodshed, and pretty much the whole shebang. If any of you folks are in the area, we're actually having an open house this Saturday, November 18th, so drop me a message if you're in the neighborhood!

http://tours.virtuance.com/public/vtour/display/901927?idx=1

Attached Files:

9. That's a beauty!

10. Zachary

Zachary Familiar Face

Tatterscratch, that lamp on the last photo is killing me! Any idea where I can get one from?

11. Incredible and gorgeous house. Love all the built-ins.

12. Zachary - The newel light is built in as part of the house. It was originally a gas fixture that was converted to electricity. If memory serves, our place was either the first or second home in the area to have electric light...

13. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

M. Tatterscratch, what a GORGEOUS home. Wow! Thank you for sharing!

14. Great work, there, Tatterscratch. And Big Man, your views are spectacular.

I'm trying to check in at the lounge as often as possible, but time is so short right now.
    I've been digging out of all the stuff I'd been collecting and the focus turned to the kitchen. Buried under all the stuff I'd bought was the Buck's Arcadia stove. I hadn't used it in years while the house was inactive and about 17 years ago a critical part, which had been cracked before I got it, broke, allowing the lids to fall in on one end.

So... I had that fixed, cleared the area of the stove and finally was able to light it. It was so nice to have a fire in it again. After it was burning robustly, I closed the oven damper and it all worked again as it is supposed to. I kept a fire in it for most of the day, it made the kitchen very cheery and happy. I put a pan on the stove and brown a few paper thin slices of Black Forest ham and beat some eggs in a bowl and poured it over the ham. For such a simple thing, it was so tasty. I have pics, just on on the computer yet.

3fingers and BobHufford like this.
  15. You had me at built-in liquor cabinet :D

Fading Fast likes this.