Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

marquise

Familiar Face
And my kitchen, which deserves its own post:

45915909_eded9e452a.jpg

stolenjar.jpg

82702655_938601f4c7.jpg

139591762_7a80582bce.jpg

Novella

Practically Family
Both of those buildings are very cool looking and the decorations are great!

Marquise - is that a poster of a Caillebotte painting in your bedroom? I love his painting of a Paris street on a rainy day.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Swell stuff everyone! Atomic Glee, that's a wonderful building. If you have to live high up that's the way to go. You're doing a nice job with the inside. Living in a historic building sure helps get into the vintage mood. :eusa_clap

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Home sweet home

I live in an old building in SF right off Ofarrell and Hyde streets. Ill snap some shots of the foyer later.

My place
Home.jpg

poster.jpg

and the permanent fixture . . .
pubby.jpg

LD

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Story said:
Neat!

What's the piece of furniture you've drafted as the dry bar?

Thanks!

The old wood furniture is from Cargo, a company that made simple, ridiculously sturdy solid wood furniture. That particular piece is a dresser, one of two I have (I use the other for, well, a dresser). Don't know how long they were around, but my family had quite a bit of it in the '80s, and a lot of it ended up with me. It's simple and classic looking, and each piece weighs about six million pounds - I swear, it's hilariously overbuilt stuff. Completely solid, heavy, real wood pieces put together with huge steel bolts. It lasts forever. Heck, my old toy chest was Cargo, and it survived all the abuse I put it through as a kid - and today, I'm using it for a coffee table here in my loft! Just wiped it off, oiled it down, and it was good as new.

Unfortunately, sometime in the '90s the company was bought by Pier 1 (I think), and was reduced to children's-only furniture before being phased out completely.

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
ITG said:
AG,
Oh cool, you're across from what I call the big Indy cut out statue.
FW_Indystatue4.jpg

Yep, the good 'ole Man with Briefcase - one of my favorite bits of public art here in Fort Worth, especially because of both the Indy resemblance and the classic Golden Era imagery of a man in a fedora. I'm looking it at right now out my living room window as I type this. Coolness. :)

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Sefton said:
Swell stuff everyone! Atomic Glee, that's a wonderful building. If you have to live high up that's the way to go. You're doing a nice job with the inside. Living in a historic building sure helps get into the vintage mood. :eusa_clap

Thanks! It's cool - I especially love learning about the historical leftovers in the building from the maintenance man. He's an older man familiar with every square inch of the building, and can identify which parts in the building's current configuration used to be offices, restrooms, etc. It's fun.

Fort Worth has a lot of classic buildings in and near downtown being used for residential now. Across the street from me is the Neil P. Anderson building, a 1921 office building that's just re-opened as condos:

building4_large.jpg
building_night_large.jpg

Our old Sanger department store building is now loft apartments:

141652640_a07d7f4e87.jpg

The old 1928 Montgomery Ward building is getting loft condos:

97007664_d3bebfb0e7.jpg

The Art Deco Kress five & dime store building is becoming lofts:

109013544_77d3925396.jpg
98090025_aa583a2373.jpg

Here, our Flatiron Building from 1907 sits next to the Houston Place building from the '20s on the right, both of which are now used for residential - and, incidentally, this is across the street from the Peters Brothers hat shop:

141504374_74123ce448.jpg

Our old '30s Art Deco train station is now lofts (and still a train station as well):

171964295_2f50c24273.jpg

Here's the Forest Park apartments, using an old '20s building that was allegedly built for the mistresses of visiting out-of-town cattle & oil barons:

138446830_6707ed4e72.jpg

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
J. M. Stovall said:
Here's our little bungalow. It may be only one story tall but it's home.
(notice the 48 star flag)

100_0599s.jpg

Kitchen
100_0595s.jpg

100_0596s.jpg

I'll have to remember to shoot photos of the rest, I already had these.

That's a cool house! I've always liked homes of that style. Love that tile, and the 48-star flag is a really cool little touch! :)

HistWardrobe

Vendor
oops, wrong vintage

My house is a bit earlier than golden era (1859) and I've chosen to "interpret" it in the style of the year of the famous visit that gave the house its Warholian "15 minutes of fame." That means, authentically not just a bunch of 1860's stuff but an accretion -- from 18th century (mostly repros), lots of 1830s-40s stuff (originals) through to 1860s.

These pix are from the first year I lived here. Rooms didn't yet have enough clutter to look truly Victorian. Now they're "getting there" but still need a bit more going on, like getting some nicely ornate repro moldings, as the 1970s remodelling meant the end of the originals, alas.

kcbobparlor_th.JPG

Working on bonnet making in my parlour about 3 years ago, with my late, great best friend, BobDog

xmasreel5.JPG

Calling the Virginia Reel at 2003 Christmas Party. Had barely moved in, windows still "nekkid", before I got the swagged burgundy damask drapes & pelmet

LH1.JPG

Two of my friends getting tea ready at a small, private living history get- together. The teacups ARE 30's but the wrong 30's (1830s).

The kitchen, on the other hand, is in an addition built around 1900 and has sort of a 30s-50s farmhouse kitchen feel to it. One of these days I'll just go with that look - when I finally build my 19th c repro summer kitchen outbuilding and all the 19th c kitchenalia collection has somewhere to live, thereby freeing up my kitchen to be what it really wants to be.

On the basis that there were people in the 30s-40s who had antiques too, I think the venue, particularly the large central hallway, easily lends itself to rolling up the rugs and cranking up the Victrola and I can update the look by bringing out family knicknacks and furniture from later eras.

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
J. M. Stovall said:

Oh, very cool!

I live in a tiny (750 sq ft) 1950s house in a neighborhood that was originally built as affordable housing for Korean War vets. So much history nearby, but it's a bad neighborhood these days. I'll take pictures in the light of day.

Trickeration

Practically Family
I know my pics are in another thread somewhere else around here, but here they are again since this is a new thread and there are new people around since I last posted.
pict08676fg.jpg

My living room.
pict08699et.jpg

Dining room.
pict08715co.jpg

pict08727yg.jpg

Kitchen.
pict08822ml.jpg

The clean side of the dressing room.
pict08753wq.jpg

The messy side of the dressing room.
pict08863fw.jpg

pict08765ke.jpg

The bedroom.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
HistWardrobe said:

That rug! That house!! That gown!!! Christmas!!!!

Wow! I see a Virginia Fedora Lounge gathering in our future!

(Last Saturday during yard sales, the neighbor a block from me in the 1867 manse asked if I wanted to buy her house)

Story

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
Wow! I see a Virginia Fedora Lounge gathering in our future!

I suspect she'd force us to check our hobnail brogans at the door, at the point of a Lemat if needs be. :p

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Home decor question...

I want to redo the color scheme/set up of my apt (just the livingroom for now) and I have been looking through old catalogs for ideas. My apt has white walls and a silver/grey/dirty carpet. I really enjoy cherry wood colored furniture (tables, shelves, desks, ect) so I want to pull around that color. Also, I am heavily influenced by Greek mythology and ancient times. Most art work that depict that time is in shades of white... Now, can I successfully incorporate ancient greek art on the walls with cherry wood traditional furniture? Once that is said and done, what color should I have my couch? common colored used back then were burgandy (or deep reds), rose, green, and blue. I am partical to the reds. Now chances are I can pull in a rose couch with the greek art, but will the two look good with the cherry woods? Or should I use a different color wood? I don't care for blonde woods...

I hope my questions make sense. HomeMakers please help!

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Here is our villa circa 1928:

me-villa1.jpg

Here is the restored hallway as you enter:

me-villa-hall1.jpg

When we bought the house this hallway was entirely painted cream with white architraves and floorboards. It had an old oatmeal carpet. We stripped everything, added the chair rail and picture rail and painted & papered the walls.

Here is a closer shot of the stained glass door at the end of the hallway:

me-villa-hall3.jpg

Here is a shot of the master bedroom:

me-mastbed1.jpg

And a spare bedroom:

me-sparebed.jpg

Here is our lounge with 1908 upright piano and European furniture:

me-lounge1.jpg

me-lounge2.jpg

This room was likewise all painted white and cream with oatmeal carpet... all very plain.

We added these French doors in the lounge to match the original stained glass door from the hallway:

me-lounge3.jpg

Enjoy!

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Reactions: A-1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana