Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your 'vintage inspired' suits ....

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Vaish did a briliant job with your suit Chasseur. Added to that is you really know how to wear it, too, just to set it off right with complementing shoes, tie and hat.

Thank you for the kind words Benny, I highly recommend Vaish they've been very willing to work on recreating vintage styles with me.

GBR

One of the Regulars
My trousers always have a rear pocket on the right hand side. I don't have a fob pocket, although I suppose I should.

It would certainly add to the visual authenticity and I must say try to use pockets in the way intended in the 1950s.

matei

One Too Many
Very interesting pics, nice suits. It is heartening to know that there are still some open-minded tailors out there.

This thread is particularly timely, as I will soon be looking for a tailor to make me a similar suit. The tailor I used to use in Romania had passed away some years ago. To look for a new one there would be time consuming, as we only seem to visit nowadays once a year.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
After looking for 1930's suits that fit or could be tailored to fit, with fabric that I liked, I gave up and ordered a suit from Luxire. They've done shirts, trousers, and waistcoats for me, so I decided to try a complete suit. I sent a 1940's sports jacket with nice arm holes, photos of a 1930's summer suit, and my measurements. After the suit arrives I'll post photos of suit on. The jacket is a straight 3 button, not rolled to a 3/2.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I'll post photos as soon as the suit arrives. I'd like feedback, to adjust as needed, before I ordere the second suit. There's no pretense about making a vintage suit, just wanted the vintage look.

Last edited:

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
This is another one of mine, that was made for me back in about 1995. It was styled after a 1930s suit:

greensuit1.jpg

These days it fits rather oddly on the back, due to some problems I've had with my shoulders over the last 15 years.

This is my wedding suit, back in 1992. it was copied from a photo of my uncle's wedding suit circa 1950:
weddingsuit0001.jpg

It stills fits (just about):
IMG_1286.jpg

I remember seeing this thread when I was just a 'lurker'. I'm glad I've found it again. Do you mind giving me some details on your trousers TT? The sizing looks spot-on around the thigh, knee and ankle. What measurements do you tend to have to achieve that good-looking wide-leg? I don't feel that the trousers I've had made quite have it right.

Just to mention - your wedding suit is almost exactly the same as my Grandad's wedding suit from about 1950-51. He was of a similar build to yourself, and wore the same sort of single-button-fastening DB suit. A brilliant variation on the norm.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Here's my 'vintage-inspired' tweed suit that I wore the other day. It has a simple belt-back, single vent, and patch pockets, and the trousers are high-waisted, with a fishtail back and a rear cinch-buckle. It also has a waistcoat, but it was too warm even for me that day!

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Eddie, I will dig them out and take measurements. I think the secret is getting the right fullness in the seat and thigh. It's how the trousers drape from the seat that really defines the shape. The maker was a really experienced owner of a vinage shop who had trained in fashion, with the advantage of being a tailor's daughter. Strangely, the green suit jacket doesn't fit properly now. It was made just after I'd lost a fair bit of weight but that isn't the problem (I still fit into it). However, back then I had lost weight on my body but my shoulders were broad, since then my shoulders have had numerous problems and they don't hold the shape properly. It's odd since the grey jacket doesn't have the same problem, I guess it's something to do with the cut. The green is much more cuilt up in the chest and shoulder. I suspect it needs a visit to an expert in alterations.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Thanks for the advice and for having a look at your trousers. The difficulty is that if I do order anything, it won't be actually with a tailor so achieving the right look and fit could be difficult. I think my next suit will perhaps be from Luxire - I'll get them to copy a jacket and I'll have to be very detailed about what I want from the trousers.

Shoulders can be tricky. If they don't fit, they don't fit. And it's hard to hide the fact. The only remedy is probably as you say - professional adjustment!

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I'd rather take it to a tailor locally if I were you. Thus you can micromanage, which is essential. You can surely find a bespoke tailor who makes you what you want for the same price as Luxire. Not every tailor has Saville Row prices. I have seen too many blunders by Luxire just with my shirts alone and all their jackets I have seen on pics were wonky, even the modern ones. I am quite positive that they will be unable to get the details right. Or let somebody make it who really understands vintage. Ask Qirrel, for example. He made Two Types a wonderful suit. Or take a look at the SJC suits when they are out. From what I have seen so far they are going to be amazing. The pattern maker is actually a Saville Row tailor as I have understood.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Thanks for the advice Rudie. Maybe you're right :/ Luxire quoted about £400 for a suit, which is cheaper than I've been able to get anywhere else. I guess I could be throwing that cash away, though, if they aren't very satisfactory.
The ones I've had made before I've done via a friend of mine who is an outfitter, and then sends them off to a company (i.e. not tailored), but they're getting ever more expensive, and as you say, it's difficult to micromanage. Plus, although lovely suits, I don't feel they quite achieve the vintage aesthetics I want.
There aren't many/any local tailors around me really. Would Qirrel be open to a PM out-of-the-blue?

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
£400 would most certainly be with the cheapest cotton fabric. Using a good quality suiting the likes of J&J Minnis or Fox Bros. would cost you significantly more at Luxire's, I am sure. Qirrel has an Etsy shop, so he is certainly open to PMs.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
It's was a wool flannel they quoted - about £450 to be more exact I think. Thats what made me very interested. I've sent Qirrel a message via Etsy :)

That price sounds about right, and I don't think they meant a really cheap fabric either. Their Dugdale linens, corduroys and worsted flannels would set you back $150-200 for trousers. Take twice that amount for a jacket, and you'd be just about at the price quoted for a 2-piece. Dugdale fabrics are fairly inexpensive, but good value, although on the soft side like most modern fabrcs.

Luxire are fine for trousers, you just have to be very specific about the measurements of every detail. I had good results with copies from originals, simply by providing specs, not even sending in the garment.

With Luxire suit jackets I have no firsthand experience, but the ones I've seen on fora don't encourage me to try one, and least not a structured jacket with canvas and all. What I've seen there looks a little unrefined, and somehwat angular if that makes sense. They weren't bad, though.

I might at some point try Luxire to have a completely unstructured summer suit jacket made, 1930s US style.

Still, Quirel is the safer option, I think.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
It's was a wool flannel they quoted - about £450 to be more exact I think. Thats what made me very interested. I've sent Qirrel a message via Etsy :)

That price sounds about right, and I don't think they meant a really cheap fabric either. Their Dugdale linens, corduroys and worsted flannels would set you back $150-200 for trousers. Take a little more than twice that amount for a jacket, and you'd be just about at the price quoted for a 2-piece. Dugdale fabrics are fairly inexpensive, but good value, although on the soft side like most modern fabrcs.

Luxire are fine for trousers, you just have to be very specific about the measurements of every detail. I had good results with copies from originals, simply by providing specs, not even sending in the garment.

With Luxire suit jackets I have no firsthand experience, but the ones I've seen on fora don't encourage me to try one, and least not a structured jacket with canvas and all. What I've seen there looks a little unrefined, and somehwat angular if that makes sense. They weren't bad, though.

I might at some point try Luxire to have a completely unstructured summer suit jacket made, 1930s US style.

Still, Quirel is the safer option, I think.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana