Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage knitting and crochet!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I FINALLY managed to finish my knitted Riding Shirt from the August 1935 Stitchcraft that I started at the end of this August. Really, I suppose I have done quite well to finish it in this time frame. It has been fiddly with lots of sewing up, although it looks quite plain. It is knitted in modern 4 ply but the original used 2 ply 'Scotch Fingering'. I didn't even need to change the needle size for the tension.

Ridingshirtpattern.jpg

Their description:
"This shirt combines a perfectly tailored apperance with the unrestricted comfort that is only to be had from the 'give' of knitted things. The back inverted pleat is set into a ribbed yoke; the sleeves finish in linked cuffs; in front there is a buttoned placket, and the collar, shaped to take a tie, fastens with a stud.
If you will be wearing this shirt under a coat, or for golf, you may prefer short sleeves; instructions for these are therefore included"

I tried to crop the picture above but it was pixelating like mad, so I left it with some of the instructions visable.

Here's my version with short sleeves. I wanted to make long sleeves but didn't have enough yarn as I bought it years ago:

Front
DSC00605.jpg

Back
DSC00606.jpg

With tie - as recommended in the pattern
DSC00607.jpg

Detail of the collar closed with a stud
DSC00608.jpg

I made this to wear with my vintage riding gear (no, I'm not a rider!), so when I have a picture of the full get-up, I'll have to post it.

Lorena B

Practically Family
Miss Sis said:
I FINALLY managed to finish my knitted Riding Shirt from the August 1935 Stitchcraft that I started at the end of this August. Really, I suppose I have done quite well to finish it in this time frame. It has been fiddly with lots of sewing up, although it looks quite plain. It is knitted in modern 4 ply but the original used 2 ply 'Scotch Fingering'. I didn't even need to change the needle size for the tension.

Ridingshirtpattern.jpg

Their description:
"This shirt combines a perfectly tailored apperance with the unrestricted comfort that is only to be had from the 'give' of knitted things. The back inverted pleat is set into a ribbed yoke; the sleeves finish in linked cuffs; in front there is a buttoned placket, and the collar, shaped to take a tie, fastens with a stud.
If you will be wearing this shirt under a coat, or for golf, you may prefer short sleeves; instructions for these are therefore included"

I tried to crop the picture above but it was pixelating like mad, so I left it with some of the instructions visable.

Here's my version with short sleeves. I wanted to make long sleeves but didn't have enough yarn as I bought it years ago:

Front
DSC00605.jpg

Back
DSC00606.jpg

With tie - as recommended in the pattern
DSC00607.jpg

Detail of the collar closed with a stud
DSC00608.jpg

I made this to wear with my vintage riding gear (no, I'm not a rider!), so when I have a picture of the full get-up, I'll have to post it.

iss Sis, that,s a lovely jacket, so well made, i love it!!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Thanks ladies! It's been a bit of a beast in ways. As I said, very fiddly with all the sewing this and that, placket, picking up the collar, knitting a LINING for the collar. It was like I was never going to finish it. There was no picture of the front so it was a mystery till I knit it what it was going to come out like.

Laura, yes, 4 ply is a certain thickness of yarn, but modern 4 ply is thinner than the stuff used then. Confusing, I know. English patterns often mention Scotch fingering wool. I don't think it was a certain brand, just a particular thickness. I already had the yarn and I tested for tension on the needle sizes in the pattern. Came out perfect so I didn't even have to change that.

Yes, knitting takes ALOT longer than sewing. It's not for the faint hearted! lol

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I love that sweater! Back pleats = SO INCREDIBLY 30s!! I'm currently making a 30s blouse with a back pleat. They are lovely. This sweater would look so great with a trumpet skirt, some cute white sockies and white "old lady" oxfords.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Here's the first sweater I knitted that wasn't a failure. Was a beginning pattern from "The Learn How Book" from 1941. Just finished it tonight, after a battle with how to set in the sleeves :eusa_doh: Hopefully my next one will look better.
l_236ab7b5d8804379abd6670fcca95d89.jpg

l_479782667e014fd69d6b7c1877c4113e.jpg

And a jumper I made last month and forgot to take pics of. I'm not that happy with it, but oh well. It's not really crooked... I just put it on the form funny, I think. :eek:
l_643942a8cca34214926500a2acbf1442.jpg
l_8ee09e5af6c64c4aa6fe6b52f76ea730.jpg

newtovintage

One of the Regulars
Lauren said:
Here's the first sweater I knitted that wasn't a failure. Was a beginning pattern from "The Learn How Book" from 1941. Just finished it tonight, after a battle with how to set in the sleeves :eusa_doh: Hopefully my next one will look better.
l_236ab7b5d8804379abd6670fcca95d89.jpg

l_479782667e014fd69d6b7c1877c4113e.jpg

And a jumper I made last month and forgot to take pics of. I'm not that happy with it, but oh well. It's not really crooked... I just put it on the form funny, I think. :eek:
l_643942a8cca34214926500a2acbf1442.jpg
l_8ee09e5af6c64c4aa6fe6b52f76ea730.jpg

Lauren, I love both the sweater and the jumper. What pattern did you use the jumper?
Sarah

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Well done on the sweater, Lauren. The first garment you make is always the hardest! Like sewing, it's learn as you go. Looks like your yarn was quite thick so hopefully it was quick too.

Amy, that is a great blouse pattern. Gonna have to get it. Also the Past patterns skirt pattern you posted in the patterns thread, I have been drooling over. It will look good with my jumper (sweater for you Americans!) Sigh! All these lovely things to make but where's the time????

S.
Who is home sick, AGAIN, and therefore unproductive to doing anything!

Sunny

One Too Many
Miss Sis said:

Ridingshirtpattern.jpg

Their description:

Front
DSC00605.jpg

Back
DSC00606.jpg

I am so incredibly jealous of this it's not even funny! I LOVE the back pleat!

Foofoogal

Banned
I cannot believe anyone can even knit anything that great. Miss Sis and Lauren are both so talented.

The pink polka dot is cute also. I am a polkadotholic.

Lauren

I was wondering how you did it! It looks really hard to set.

Thanks, gals, for the comments on my sweater and jumper. Hopefully the next sweater I make won't look as homemade :eek: I started one this week but I only have 5 inches of the back done so far. lol I'll be surprised if it gets done, but I've got lots more train rides in front of me so hopefully it will happen. If I wasn't stuck there for so long every day I'm sure I'd never knit a stitch lol

Lauren

We have one for sewing and one for crafting, so how about those needlecrafts?
What projects are you ladies working on?

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
i am working one new knitting projects, I have a GREAT pattern for a knitted diaper cover form the 40s I am going to attempt for my littlest one.
I will post pics soon.

Does anyone have a crochet pattern fora snood? I really want to try my hand at one.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
also, I got some great magazines with tons of patterns for crochet clutch handbags, I can post pics if there is interest. and I can PM the patterns :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk