Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage knitting and crochet!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
This is super inspiring! I can't believe how talented you all are with your needles! It makes me want to keep on going with mine and not move on to other projects, which is definitely a good thing :D

Aurora

One of the Regulars
Elizabeth.F said:
Just as a side note for anybody who wants to do the 3-hour sweater: The 4 stitches to the inch is referring to the ribbing on the bottom NOT to the stockinette stitch on the body! If you work 4 stitches to the inch on the body you will have a 27-inch chest! What you should be working the body at is about 3 stitches to the inch, which will give a 36-inch chest.

I thought that the germantown on size 15s is a bit big, so I'm knitting it in Cascade 220 doubled on size 15s.

It might be fun to do a knit-a-long to see how long everybody takes!

I found some 3-strand wool!!! I'm going to have a hissy fit about sizing then start, I hate clothing sizes, I only want measurements! I'm going to give it a go on my wool and see if it'll knit up smaller than a 36", otherwise it'll be a Birthday present for my Mum.. Like most of my other hand-knitted tops!

Lauren

Inky said:
Here's a good article at Knitty.com about using Vintage knitting patterns that we might find helpful:

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/FEATvintage.html

That's a great article!! I'm doing one that called for 6 stitches per inch, but I didn't get it small enough, so I am doing 5 stitches per inch, so it's good to know it's normal and I figured it out right. Math's certainly not my strong point. [huh]

Sunny

One Too Many
Miss Hattie said:
Well I thought I would share one of mine. It’s my second attempt (well third if I include my odd sock…. don’t ask!:eek: ).
This took an age to knit too- I started knitting it last September, did two months then gave up for the making of Christmas presents and then took it up again on and off in the New Year to finish the fronts and back and part sleeve. I manage to finish all the pieces in the summer time- in reality it only took about 4/5 months out of the year- but like many of my projects they are started with gusto then I loose the will to live with it and start something new.:eek:
Anyway it’s from a 1940’s pattern and has the best shoulders ever! It should have pockets but I wanted to save the leftover for a matching beret- it should also have buttons with loopy bits but I haven’t got round to that yet or rather my mum hasn’t (I cant crochet). I don’t think the fastening is urgent as I wear it often with just the belt.
Hope you like it

P1010045.jpg

That is amazing! The shoulders really are great!

Miss Hattie

Familiar Face
Elizabeth.F said:
Yes I am on Ravelry. My name on there is Paddington. I found the pattern about a year ago though Google, though.

Just as a side note for anybody who wants to do the 3-hour sweater: The 4 stitches to the inch is referring to the ribbing on the bottom NOT to the stockinette stitch on the body! If you work 4 stitches to the inch on the body you will have a 27-inch chest! What you should be working the body at is about 3 stitches to the inch, which will give a 36-inch chest.

I thought that the germantown on size 15s is a bit big, so I'm knitting it in Cascade 220 doubled on size 15s.

It might be fun to do a knit-a-long to see how long everybody takes!

….And on another note! Remember that the stated garment size is an old size 16 so this would mean a 34-inch bust- the stitches may only come to 27 inches on 15 (000 or 10mm) needles but then again imagine how it will stretch!
And to conclude- I only said that the tension/ gauge is worked out on the BIG needles because that is the norm on all of my vintage patterns- unless it’s a rib throughout!
Well that’s what I think…whether I’m right or if anybody takes my advice is another question! ;)

Thank you Sunny,
The shoulders are fantastic but wearing them means I am constantly knocking into things a great deal more!

H x

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
i ahve a question for you ladies who have completed the 3 hour sweater.
I just finished the back, and I was binding off, the plain old cast off way.
and my neckline has no give. it does not stretch at all.

is that how the top is supposed to be or is there a special way to cast off stretchy like?

does that make any sense???????[huh]

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
I bound off the traditional way, in pattern, and I found that mine really kind of needs the stability of the stiff neck... I've worn mine a few times and found that it kind of helps the sweater hold its shape.

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
oh, ok, I wondered since the pattern didnt specify.
But mine is 22 sts at the top, and bound off it looks TEENY TINY. lol
ok, I guess I will just trust what i have and start on the front :)

Lauren

I just finished the 3 hour sweater, which was more like 12 hours. It didn't really come out like the illustration. And I didn't even read the thread on it until I was mostly done with it. Ah well. It's really not very good and my yarn stretched out A LOT. It was cheap-o pound of acrylic yarn that I had sitting around and since it was only supposed to be three hours lol I thought it would be better than wasting it.
I'm kind of ashamed to show my pictures, but here it is anyways. Like everyone on the thread, it came out way too big... even after I swatched it.
3hour1.jpg
3hour2.jpg

I need to go take a pic of the other thing I was working on so I don't feel so made of fail. :(

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
lauren, did you do a traditional bind off on the top, or a "sewn" bind off???
I feel so trouble by this sweater. lol.

and yes, mine is GROWING, it seems SO huge comapred to when I started, and I even used smaller needles.[huh]

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Lauren said:
Here's the other thing I've been working on during commute. In another million years it might be finished.
yc1.jpg
yc2.jpg

That's lovely! I love cables but haven't tried them yet.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Lauren said:
I just finished the 3 hour sweater, which was more like 12 hours. It didn't really come out like the illustration. And I didn't even read the thread on it until I was mostly done with it. Ah well. It's really not very good and my yarn stretched out A LOT. It was cheap-o pound of acrylic yarn

I have the same problems when I use acrylic yarn. It stretches out and will not go back. I think it's more a problem with the yarn, not the knitter. I think natural fiber yarn has much more spring to it and it will stretch back. Even blends seem to be much more forgiving than all arcylic.

Where is the link for the 3-hour sweater? I can't seem to find it.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
kamikat said:
That's lovely! I love cables but haven't tried them yet.

Cables are so easy, especially the basic ones pictured. Once you figure out how to do them, you'll kick yourself for not learning sooner. All you need is a cable needle.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I don't have any pictures of my knitting, except for a pair of mittens that I finished not too long ago:

mittens.jpg

I copied these from a surviving pair of 18th century mittens. They are constructed the same as the extant pair, except I added the garter stitch cuff to keep the cuffs from rolling up. They wouldn't have used ribbing to keep the cuffs up yet, so I did rows of garter stitch which would have been a popular period treatment.

I made a felted Scotch Bonnet to go with the gloves. I also just finished an elbow length pair of fingerless mitts with clocking on them. I made them from lace weight yarn, using size 0 needles. They took forever!

I know they're not exactly vintage but 18th century should count for something, right? ;)

Lauren

BeBopBaby said:
I have the same problems when I use acrylic yarn. It stretches out and will not go back. I think it's more a problem with the yarn, not the knitter. I think natural fiber yarn has much more spring to it and it will stretch back. Even blends seem to be much more forgiving than all arcylic.

Where is the link for the 3-hour sweater? I can't seem to find it.

Here's the link:
http://www.lrvictor.bravepages.com/Free/3-HOUR.htm
I actually have the book, and was leafing through and realized it was actually a vintage pattern everyone was talking about lol
Thanks for the condolences in the yarn. I had it sitting around and figured since it was only going to take three hours I'd "waste" the yarn on that. NEVER again. I usually hate synthetics. I don't know what possessed me. I bought a knitting machine from Michaels and it was meant to be a "test skein", but I ended up taking the machine back (it was all plastic and faulty) so I was stuck with the yarn. lol Should have taken that back, too...

Thank you, Kamikat! I love cables :D They're really not hard. When I did it for the first time I flipped it, so screwed them up, but I made a scarf a few years ago that I used as a "practice" piece for cables. I named it "Clark Cable" and gave it away as a gift. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points