Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage knitting and crochet!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
BeBopBaby said:
I don't have any pictures of my knitting, except for a pair of mittens that I finished not too long ago:

mittens.jpg

I copied these from a surviving pair of 18th century mittens. They are constructed the same as the extant pair, except I added the garter stitch cuff to keep the cuffs from rolling up. They wouldn't have used ribbing to keep the cuffs up yet, so I did rows of garter stitch which would have been a popular period treatment.

I made a felted Scotch Bonnet to go with the gloves. I also just finished an elbow length pair of fingerless mitts with clocking on them. I made them from lace weight yarn, using size 0 needles. They took forever!

I know they're not exactly vintage but 18th century should count for something, right? ;)

So cute! I'm a little scared to try anything with fingers still. Did you find a pattern, or did you make it up? I noticed the V&A had some knitted items on their site and they're really inspiring. I love this little jug

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I was just looking at a pattern for a pence jug on knitty. :)

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter08/FEATwin08SIT.php

The mittens are from the mitten pattern on this page:

http://www.marariley.net/patterns.htm

The finger holes are pretty simple to make when you knit in the round. You just start increasing where you want the thumb gusset to be, then put those stitches on a piece of waste yarn. Then in the next round, you knit all of the rest of the stitches together. Where the stitches are on the waste yarn will be the thumbhole. Then when you're done knitting the body of the mitten, you go back to the stitches on the waste yarn, put them on circular needles, pick up a few more stitches, and knit the thumbs in the round.

I was able to figure out the mitten pattern by myself with help from here:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/

This is the greatest knitting website in the world. It has videos showing how to do just about any knitting technique you can think of. It's so much easier for me to refer to videos and actually see the knitting than to try and read instructions from a book.

Lauren

Oh my gosh! Those are SO cute! Added to the "to knit" list :)
Thanks for the tips on the mittens! I'll have to get to those one of these days, too.

evelyns-niece

New in Town
I love it!

Miss Sis said:
I FINALLY managed to finish my knitted Riding Shirt from the August 1935 Stitchcraft that I started at the end of this August. Really, I suppose I have done quite well to finish it in this time frame. It has been fiddly with lots of sewing up, although it looks quite plain. It is knitted in modern 4 ply but the original used 2 ply 'Scotch Fingering'. I didn't even need to change the needle size for the tension.

Ridingshirtpattern.jpg

Their description:
"This shirt combines a perfectly tailored apperance with the unrestricted comfort that is only to be had from the 'give' of knitted things. The back inverted pleat is set into a ribbed yoke; the sleeves finish in linked cuffs; in front there is a buttoned placket, and the collar, shaped to take a tie, fastens with a stud.
If you will be wearing this shirt under a coat, or for golf, you may prefer short sleeves; instructions for these are therefore included"

I tried to crop the picture above but it was pixelating like mad, so I left it with some of the instructions visable.

Here's my version with short sleeves. I wanted to make long sleeves but didn't have enough yarn as I bought it years ago:

Front
DSC00605.jpg

Back
DSC00606.jpg

With tie - as recommended in the pattern
DSC00607.jpg

Detail of the collar closed with a stud
DSC00608.jpg

I made this to wear with my vintage riding gear (no, I'm not a rider!), so when I have a picture of the full get-up, I'll have to post it.

This is SO gorgeous! I love it! I hope I get up the courage to knit my first sweater soon. I started knitting in November and it's all I can think about - especially vintage patterns! :) This is definitely inspiring!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Knitting patterns to trade?

I two Lux 1951 - 76 designs for the whole family.
scan0001.jpg

And two Lux 1958 - Designs for the whole family.
scan0007.jpg

I would love to trade one of my 1951 Lux Knitting books, and one of my 1958 Lux Knitting books. Either together or seperately. I would really like to trade each magazine for a sewing pattern (bust 32) but I am open to almost anything. Please PM me if you are interested.

Inky

One Too Many
I am so in love with all your knitted items ladies! Nana always said idle hands are the devils workshop, so I am determined to knit up my stash this year (or at least make a noticable dent in it!)

I was searching vintage patterns and found the following free patterns that I hadn't come across before:

Schiaparelli's Bowknot Sweater from 1927

A collection of patterns (scroll down for the 30's/40's/50's)

Many patterns from a 1922 book.

And for those of us that also love to crochet - a 1945 pattern for a crocheted clutch purse.

I am determined to put a couple of UFO's under my belt this month and am halfway through a cashmere lace scarf I started over two years ago (hangs head in shame).

Keep the yarny goodness coming!

$ally

One Too Many
Making vintage clothes for babies and toddlers

I'd love to do an exchange of directions for knit/crochet, sewing patterns, etc for infant wear. Simplicity is releasing some of their vintage baby patterns, including #2867 from 1948 which are cute transfers for felt embroidered booties.

I'll start off with some super easy instructions for knitting a ribbed baby cap (even I can do it):
-use short 7 needles and baby yarn
-newborn cast 32 stitches, older cast 38
-purl one row across
-knit 2 rows across
-repeat these three rows until you have 16 ridges on each side, 20 for older baby
-bind off
-gather around one end then pull tight
-join along end ridges
-turn up cuff on bottom
-make a pompon for the top

Lauren

Thank you! Actually I've been knitting on and off for 5 years, but only recently got up the guts to try clothing instead of hats and straight things lol I don't actually have much patience, but I ride on a commuter train so have to have something to occupy my hands... knitting is the perfect thing to make time pass for me! :D

michou1930

New in Town
Just joined in - may I show you my knits?

Hello, ladies.

I just found this lounge while searching the net for more vintage pattern sites (found nothing I did not know already except for you beauties).

When I now saw this thread I thought I should dare to come in as I am absolutely Vintage Knitting addicted (also started sewing a bit). If you are on ravelry I am michou :)

So let me ask if I am allowed to show you my darlings and share my experience with those patterns with you. I do not want to intrude with a bunch of pictures so there is just the jumper shown on my avatar as a first glimpse.

Have a lovely day
Andrea

Miss Hattie

Familiar Face
Please, please do show off your woollen wonders- all are welcome here!
I’ll look forward to seeing them, as your avatar jumper looks lovely….;)

Welcome to the forum michou1930- Andrea too.

Hats x

rachw182

New in Town
I'm so glad I found this thread! I started knitting last winter and just picked it up again and this has really encouraged me to work harder and finish my scarf :) everything looks so lovely!

michou1930

New in Town
Weldon's Ruby

Thanks Miss Hattie for your nice words :)

Although I now have more than 25 jumpers knitted from vintage patterns I am still working on my hair and my wardrobe - so here is a picture with just a jumper I love to wear expecially with tweeds.

It is from a Weldon's pattern book from 1932 and was a fairly quick knit: short sleeves do the trick ;-)

2786821730_e3c1260fef.jpg

Hope you like it and I hope to see more knits jumping from your needles.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Here are a couple of knits

Well, more vintage-inspired than from an original vintage pattern, but some snappy baby knits for my own little sugarsnap!

clowncardi.jpg

llbooties4.jpg

michou1930

New in Town
Thanks Mackenzie

When asked to do so I will oblige :) But I don't know how to really insert the picture ... what might be nice to see next? Hmmm, perhaps something from the forties?

3083999887_6ab9098c54_o.jpg

This is a very simple ribbed blouse and a skirt both made from original patterns. I am sorry that my pictures are a bit blurry but our camera does apparently have a life and mind of its own. Also I am letting my hair grow and so there is no real vintage appearance - I really should start to photograph my knits again with better clothing. When I started knitting vintage I tried to pair it with my usual mother gear (which I hated) but only recently I started to rediscover femininity ....;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21