Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your Vintage Office Supplies.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
what vintage item would one use to keep names numbers and addresses in on a desk? rolodex is possible, but what about older? what did they use throughout the 20's 30's and 40's?

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Josephine said:
My FIL had one of those, the dividers has a "Jo" in addition to the other letters (a plethora of Jones! Don't know about an "Sm"). His was metal though as it was old Navy issue.

thank you :)

Pina Bridgette

One of the Regulars
Another alternative for the card file would be a Bates Listfinder, the original rolodex. The refills are practically non-existant so if you find one with a full set of unmarked inserts I would snatch it up! eBay Search tip: bates "list finder" or bates listfinder.

I have two cavalier models: a beautiful pink(!)/brushed metal and the more common burgundy/brass. When I get a few more minutes, I will post some pics.

If anyone has the skills/resources to create replica inserts, there is a little market for it, however small. Most online searches will come up with more than a few weary souls looking for refill inserts. I would be willing to give up the burgandy model (pages are used however) in exchange for a spare set. anyone please pm me if interested.

P.

ps. MrNewportCustom, is that Arrow stapler pink or beige? I have been lusting (perhaps this adjective is a bit strong so let's just say I really like it) after it since you posted thinking it looks the same pink as my listfinder. Please put me out of my misery.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Mid-fogey said:
...great stuff. I'll be going to see my folks this weekend. I guess I'll have to take an empty suitcase into the old man's office.

there ya' go...wish i did that with a few of my relatives...found out my uncle has a desk in his barn that my great grandmother used...think ill snatch that up...

and thank you for the listfinder ideas!

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I couldn't find the office supply thread!

I've finally got some of my vintage office supplies together and now I can't find the thread - so I started a new one for the time being!

VintageOfficeSupplies.jpg

Here is stuff I've had all my life; this all belonged to my Dad who was born in 1901. Take a look at those crazy paperclips! That's something you just don't see anymore! The big yellow thind is actually a magnet. The the little item is a metal pencil sharpener with it's own leather case.

-dixon cannon

panamag8or

Practically Family
Goodness, where to begin...

I could start with the 2-car garage full of office supplies my Grandfather brought home when he sold his business. Or, the 3-car garage that has a few dozen old typewriters and more boxes of office supplies. I bet there might even be some of those listfinder refills. I know there are some of the listfinder units in that mess somewhere. Boxes of unused ledger books, rubber stamps, and who knows what else are everywhere in both garages. I found a box with about 50 old Parker and Sheaffer fountain pens and sets(sold on eBay), and I have a couple that I use today. He even had old chairs and desks piled up.

I have some neat items with the name of his store on them, but it's late, and I don't want to take pictures, but I will add some shortly.

I suppose I should really catalog some of the stuff in the garages, but my Dad gets in my way and slows things down.:mad:

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Maybe "Map Room" would be more appropriate?

I did some digging through my desk and found this:

I don't know the vintage, but I think the pictures explain it.
dscn0771.jpg

Inch to statute miles, kilometers or nautical miles.

dscn0777.jpg

Inches to miles, centimeters to kilometers.
The Thomas Guide is from 1964.

Lee

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Dixon Cannon said:
I've finally got some of my vintage office supplies together and now I can't find the thread - so I started a new one for the time being!

VintageOfficeSupplies.jpg

Here is stuff I've had all my life; this all belonged to my Dad who was born in 1901. Take a look at those crazy paperclips! That's something you just don't see anymore! The big yellow thind is actually a magnet. The the little item is a metal pencil sharpener with it's own leather case.

-dixon cannon

Now that's the sort of thing I love to see! Really cool!

RetroToday

A-List Customer
That's some swell stuff, everybody!

panamag8or, I'd love to get into your garage and "borrow" some vintage office supplies. Don't worry, I'll return them.... yeah...

Here's a few of my vintage office supplies that I've actually gotten around to taking pictures of:
You can see all the photos at the following link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremyhopkin/sets/72157601942624211/

1353855914_37509200ff.jpg

1930s-40s Park Sherman perpetual calendar

1446287370_15c44feb2b.jpg

Graffco map tacks

1446288782_c4dbe5bba1.jpg

No.1 Parcel Labels by the Dennison Mfg. Co. of Canada Ltd.
Drummondville, Quebec, Canada

1446290188_24a9d099a1.jpg

No.25 Mailing Labels - Made by Eureka Specialties, Scranton, Pennsylvania, USA.

1353609810_3a1d803e96.jpg

1950s? Cellotape canister

1445546548_98d066a2ff.jpg

Eagle Turqouise Writing Pencils (4 full boxes) Graphic design on boxes created by Robert Foster in 1938.
They're not Turquoise coloured, just plain lead pencils. Hmm, maybe they really are lead, not graphite?

1446436612_05a493b5a1.jpg

My Underwood manual typewriters. Dates range from 1919 on the left to the 1950s on the right of photo.

1353873856_841840f82d.jpg

1940s Maple Leaf Typewriter Ribbon Box

1352973603_04c9b55951.jpg

1930s - Stafford's "Out-Rite" Ink Eradicator

1446427482_a07f7bcf65.jpg

1934 American Electric model AE34 telephone. Was originally used in a hospital
You can see "surgery" and "fire call" numbers still in place on the dial paper. Needs some TLC.

Hope you enjoyed the pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ