Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

colleency

One of the Regulars
Vogue Patterns on sale

Vintage Vogue patterns normally cost up to $27. Joann Fabrics has them on sale for $3.99 each from November 19-23.

There are some really great 30s, 40s, and 50s patterns in this line, including hats and gloves!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
ooh ooh thank you!

Thank you so much for telling me this!

One of my best freinds gave me a 10 dollar certificate to Joanns just for the next pattern sale. Granted, it wont go quite as far on the Vintage Vogue ones when compared to the 99cent sales...but still....

colleency

One of the Regulars
Hey, that'll get you two patterns, which is kind of a better value than the 99 cent Simplicity, at least as far as quality goes.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
on indeed....and i have a shoebox full of patterns already...

which considering I dont -quite- actually sew yet....isnt too bad...

of course this all will spur on yet another trip to the fabric district in downtown LA....what a pity ;)

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Argh! I was just there last night for the second time this week!

Well, shoot. Guess I'm gonna have to go back and gobble up a few more. I have almost all of the ones I want, including a few discontinued ones, but there are still about 5 more that I really "need"...

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Vintage Pattern Tutorial on VFG

Hello all,

I'm not certain how many of you are members of the Vintge Fashion Guild message board, but here's a link to a tutorial that happened today on the vintage patterns. If you're not registered, I suggest you do so! The information is fantastic, very similar to what was publised in the Patterns of Fashion books, but free :)

Here's the link: http://www.vintagefashionguild.org/public/viewthread.php?tid=3451&page=1

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help you out, though I'm not as knowledgable as she is about vintage patterns (yet) :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
*Appeal* Ladies...Really need some vintage patterns for a men's smoking jacket

Felt this was the best place to pop the question! Noooo, not marriage!;) Vintage patterns for a men's smoking jacket of course :cool:

I have a designer who is prepared to make me one. But he needs some patterns to work from (preferably 20s and 30s).

I know that many of you ladies (ie: Vanessa and Lauren..) collect vintage patterns. I appreciate that you'll mostly be going for ladies' patterns, but on the off chance, wondered if you had a pattern for a man's smoking jacket from the golden era..?

I wouldn't expect you to part with the original, but copies would be great, as this chap would need some patterns to work off (and they are really hard to get hold of in the UK).

Please, please help me out here, as I can't think of any other place to go, and I'm just so excited that this fellow is prepared to do the work for me!

Thanks in anticipation :)
XmasNorthernIreland2005.jpg

swankysister

New in Town
I'd agree with decodoll that the Folkwear pattern is a 'vintage' smoking jacket pattern and probably your best option.

Another option is to look through the Costuming and Sleepwear sections of modern sewing pattern catalogues and see if your tailor can adapt any of those patterns.
For example, options contained within this pattern (apologies for links, my Mac won't allow the coding):
http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B4317=x&TI=10013&page=4
or
http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B3721=x&TI=10013&page=7
could pass as a smoking jacket if your tailor can adapt them and use jazzy fabrics. I've made a man's black & paisley dressing gown with black fake fur collar from a stock-standard dressing gown pattern. It's not fitted like a smoking jacket, but it doesn't look like a standard dressing gown because of its materials and suggestive cut.

Third option is to find an existing blazer/jacket in the style you like (maybe a suit or peacoat from an opshop), have the pattern copied and make it up in more 'smoking jacket appropriate' fabrics. Have fun!

Lauren

Sorry, Paddy, I've been ridiculously busy! I'll take some pictures. I probably wouldn't be able to copy them for you until around the first week in Feb. I'll get back to you with photos.

Lauren

Ok, here's what I have. These are robe patterns, but I think they could be shortened into smoking jacket patterns. I also have used the Folkwear pattern when I did a custom jacket and that one is very good too.
paddy1.jpg

paddy2.jpg

paddy3.jpg

Also try the men's vinage sewing patterns category on Ebay. Check to make sure they ship internationally in the item description

OcNikki

New in Town
Sizing Vintage Patterns

I have a stupid question... I've never used a pattern to sew anything and I have some great vintage patterns. What is the best way to determine my size? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

decodoll

Practically Family
Measure yourself (Bust, Waist and Hips) and then look up your measurements on the back of the envelope. Unlike modern pattens, most vintage patterns I've used have been pretty true to size. These are the measurements for each size for pre-mid 50's:

12 = 30-24-33
14 = 32-26-35
16 = 34-28-37
18 = 36-30-39
20 = 38-32-41

Some of the companies in the 30's (some 40's) made the waist measurement 1/2"-1" bigger in each size. If you are between sizes, it is usually best to use a pattern closest to your bust size for a dress and hip size for a skirt or pants and alter from there.

Hope this helps. :)

Lauren

Yup, What she said ;)

And for a dress, match the largest measurement. Say your bust and waist measure would fit a size 16, but your hip measure matches a size 18. You would most likely get an 18 and take it in in the bust and waist. It's much easier to take in things than let things out, especially since the seam allowance for vintage patterns is between 3/8" and 1/2" (unlike the 5/8" that is on modern commercial patterns). When you get your pattern all ready to sew, check the instruction sheet for the seam allowance. It should say what it is somewhere around the top of the sheet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points