Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage-vintage inspired Engagement Ring!

Lillie Librarie

New in Town
So my fiance (a fellow forum member) proposed last night on the St Charles Streetcar. My ring is Art Deco, from the 1920s, is both white and yellow gold and has a european cut diamond.

ring1.jpg

ring3.jpg

ring2.jpg

Swing Motorman

One of the Regulars
Wow, I bet that made everyone's day on the streetcar! (It's been a slight dream of mine to have passengers on a car I'm operating fall in love/propose/even marry.) That's a lovely ring, and I wish you two the best!

-Steven

Miss Peach

One of the Regulars
Mine was designed by my fiancé. Rose gold and an ode to art nouveau. It has claw feet holding the diamond in the setting. The diamond is his great-great grandmother's european cut round diamond.

I still cannot believe how beautiful and how "me" it really is.

NataliaLaGata

New in Town
We couldn't afford anything too fancy but this was basically a smaller version of a similar pear shaped sapphire surrounded by diamonds vintage ring I saw and admired (which was 5,000 USD). It's pretty enough and I don't worry as much about losing it as I would with a really pricey ring, since while cooking, grooming, or cleaning it seems I'm always taking the thing off. My ring needs a cleaning badly, is taking it to a jeweler the only option or can I do it at home? It's white gold.
Pear-Sapphire-and-Diamond-Vintage-Ring-in-14k-White-Gold_SR0187S_Reg.jpg

rue

We couldn't afford anything too fancy but this was basically a smaller version of a similar pear shaped sapphire surrounded by diamonds vintage ring I saw and admired (which was 5,000 USD). It's pretty enough and I don't worry as much about losing it as I would with a really pricey ring, since while cooking, grooming, or cleaning it seems I'm always taking the thing off. My ring needs a cleaning badly, is taking it to a jeweler the only option or can I do it at home? It's white gold.
Pear-Sapphire-and-Diamond-Vintage-Ring-in-14k-White-Gold_SR0187S_Reg.jpg
Gorgeous ring :)

All you need is a toothbrush and some jewelry cleaner (sold anywhere, like walmart) and it will sparkle like new.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Ditto what rue says. There are very good ones that come with little dipping baskets and brushes. I use one of these for my jewelry which is all white gold. :)

(As an aside: be careful not to do this too often, or to soak it for too long - The cleaner can become corrosive!)

NataliaLaGata

New in Town
Thanks ladies, I actually just cleaned it and it looks sooooo much better! I'm sticking out my hand and looking at it all the time now like I just got it. This was actually the first time I cleaned it (had it a year now), it was so dirty there were like 3-4 diamonds you couldn't see anymore. Shame on me. In my defense I thought you had to get white gold "re-rhodiumized"..

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
Beautiful ring NataliaLaGata! I love sapphires and diamonds together!

I tend to clean my ring with a tooth brush and washing up liquid and that works really well :) But mine is platinum so I don't need to worry about corroding the 'silver'. I have my mother's old engagement ring in white gold and it's just got a slight gold tone coming through, she wore it for about 5 years and didn't have it re-plated.

I inherited a really special ring, it's a dress ring in gold with a green semi-precious stone which my grandmother had made out of my great-grandfather's wedding ring.

Last edited:

Late to the Party

Familiar Face
KrIaz20IlY6gxuIGpyAd1l1w75bkk4-vi.jpg

zEUpz4OyfgYeWUG-vi.jpg

Here's my set. The stone is from my paternal grandmother's ring, married Christmas Day 1915. The rings are my mother's Orange Blossom set from 1948.
My husband and I got married (after years of cohabitation) a few years ago: a courthouse wedding, very small. My stepson witnessed for us. That's how small! I decided I wanted a set to wear even though we didn't exchange rings, so I had the set cleaned, resized, and the jeweler turned the stone so the single chip is hidden by the setting.
I don't wear it very often, since I would be just horrified if I lost it!

Grant Fan

Practically Family
here is my engagement ring. I had zero say in it, he picked it on his own. I think it is very vintage feeling. May people have asked how old it is. when I asked him why he picked it, he said it seemed like something I would wear. He was correct.

from the side

and here are both together. I had my heart set on a vintage style band. all the research I did showed that these carved style rings were very popular. I also don't like to be super matchy. ( I took this photo a couple of days after our wedding, I wanted our wedding rings and our class rings in there, it's is the best I have

Grant Fan

Practically Family
oh side not for a cleaner. I line a bowl with a piece of tin foil and put in a tablespoon each of baking soda, salt, and dawn dish soap. then I dump in a cup of boiling water. Let your rings sit until the water is cool, then rinse them in cold water and dry them with a lint free rag, and they look as good as new. And the best part is it no harsh chemicals.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
When we married, fancy rings were far out of the budget, so my engagement ring cost 25 pounds on the High Street, and over the years a couple of the diamond 'crumbs' fell out, so I had to stop wearing it. Last summer, over a date night dinner, he told me, "put down the bread". I did, and he produced a heart-shaped box, containing this lovely vintage ring. Moved me to tears.

ringcrop_zpse1602965.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ