Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show Us Your Vintaged Inspired Business Cards

Tuesday_Next

Familiar Face
That article from the BBC talked about how it takes SOOOO long to enter someone's number into your digital contacts.... this kind of horrifies me. Culturally, we have time enough to watch endless television, movies, play video games and cruise the internet but the time it takes to key in a genuine contact into your digital-device-of-choice is too time consuming??!?! I hate to sound like an old fogey but this is ridiculous. If someone is not worthy of the five minutes it takes to add them to your contacts, then you probably don't want them in your contacts, right? Okay, enough grumbling.

My husband makes his living printing lots and lots of business cards using old technology and new materials. They are solid and beautiful:

I guess they are not all that vintage-looking but the technique used to print them is definitely old-school.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Here is my personal business card, inspired by film noir and old time detectives:

sharplookoutcardimage.jpg

Colonel

One of the Regulars
That article from the BBC talked about how it takes SOOOO long to enter someone's number into your digital contacts.... this kind of horrifies me. Culturally, we have time enough to watch endless television, movies, play video games and cruise the internet but the time it takes to key in a genuine contact into your digital-device-of-choice is too time consuming??!?! I hate to sound like an old fogey but this is ridiculous. If someone is not worthy of the five minutes it takes to add them to your contacts, then you probably don't want them in your contacts, right? Okay, enough grumbling.

My husband makes his living printing lots and lots of business cards using old technology and new materials. They are solid and beautiful:

I guess they are not all that vintage-looking but the technique used to print them is definitely old-school.

First, let me add my agreement to the fact that so many people today have time to waste sitting in front of the "glass commode" and then claim they don't have time for even the most basic of interaction with real, flesh-and-blood people.

Secondly, can you tell us more about the printing that your husband does? It looks like letterpress - something that I find fascinating.

Katinka von K.

A-List Customer

Those look amazing. Does he also do the design or just the lovely printing?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I hope it's okay to post this stuff here. I wasn't sure where else it would go.

What I'm about to show you is an ACTUAL vintage business-card which I found just tonight.

As some members might know, about two weeks ago, my grandmother died at the age of 97.

After her death, my father and I cleared out her room at the nursing-home and took home two big bags of...STUFF.

Tonight, we were looking through that stuff. And I was flipping through one of the several old photograph albums that gran had held onto for god-knows how long. As I looked through, this fell out:

IMG_0689.jpg

It is at least fifty years old.

It is my grandfather's business-card. Printed ca. 1955. Cheong Kai Chor was his name (As with Chinese names, surname first). He worked at a photography studio in Batu Pahat, Malaysia, for about 20 years, after the end of WWII until the mid-1960s. This was the card he would've carried in his pockets when he went to work.

IMG_0690.jpg

Grandpa was born in China and moved to Malaysia in the early 1900s. He didn't speak a word of English, unlike grandma, who was born and raised in British Colonial Singapore. So, the business card has all of grandpa's details reprinted on the reverse side...

IMG_0691.jpg

...in Chinese.

The first business ("Capitol Studio") was the photography studio where grandpa worked.

The second business ("Kam Seng Beauty Parlour") was the shop where my grandmother worked. She was a tailor there for nearly 50 years. She shared her clothing shop with a womens' beauty-parlour at the time. Kam Seng is Cantonese. In English, it reads "Golden Star Beauty Parlour".

Just thought I should share these with you.

Grandma must've held onto these cards (there's three of them) since at least 1950. And brought them with her from Malaysia to Australia when she immigrated here after my grandpa died in '83. I'm amazed she held onto them for this long and that they haven't been lost. They're a neat piece of family history.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points