• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Show us your waistcoats/Vests?

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Anthony Jordan, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Anthony Jordan

Anthony Jordan Practically Family

I thought this might be worth doing, prompted by consideration of my latest purchase (first photograph), so here you go:

Morning Waistcoats:

[​IMG]

I like this one - London tailored.

[​IMG]

Savile row - black herringbone, and note the detail below - an extra button set into the lapel to keep it closed:

[​IMG]

Another grey one:

[​IMG]

Sand/cream/light buff this time - possibly some sort of washed silk? It feels a little too slippery for linen:

[​IMG]

This is an interesting one; I suspect that it is technically an evening waistcoat, but I am thinking of trying it during the day, as part of a morning coat/frock coat ensemble:

[​IMG]

A single-breasted morning waistcoat with notched lapels:

[​IMG]

A braided and slipped waistcoat, also see the detail below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A simple waistcoat in "Jersey weave" - would work as part of a half morning dress/stroller ensemble or in a more countrified setting:

[​IMG]

Some country ones next.

Anthony.

2. Dinerman

Dinerman Super Moderator Bartender

I love the look of all those double breasted ones.

3. Very nice :) If I may make a request? I'd love to see these worn, I adore a man in a well fitted vest and shirt sleeves; the vest is form fitting and the sleeves are full and he looks like a well dressed pirate! :D

4. DOUGLAS

DOUGLAS My Mail is Forwarded Here

NYC
    Great photos Anthony Jordan. I am a big fan of wearing vests.

5. International, me hearty. Yarrr!!

6. Anthony Jordan

Thanks for the comments, and here are some more:

Notched lapel (I like this style):

[​IMG]

A versatile green:
    [​IMG]

Wine/maroon with horse head buttons:

[​IMG]

A fairly busy check on an unusual light ground:

[​IMG]

Irish linen check, notched lapel:

[​IMG]

Anthony.

7. Lionheart

Lionheart One of the Regulars

Big fan of vests here!

The vests/waistcoats in this thread are *extremely stylish*. I gotta get my hands on some of these!

8. GwenLake

GwenLake One of the Regulars

Oh, I really, really like that color.

9. Alan Eardley

Alan Eardley One Too Many

I'm afraid you are in the minority, Josephine. I like my waistcoats (vests) to be paint-like in fit and people always say that they are too form fitting in a man my age. You can't win! Needless to say, I ignore them.

Alan

10. This is a vintage British backless DB morning waiscoat that I wore in my wedding:

[​IMG]

I have since sold it to another FL member, because I got this one:

[​IMG]

A fully backed vintage Brooks Brothers grey wool morning vest. This one motivates me to not gain weight. Or breathe deeply when I'm wearing it, for that matter. :)

[​IMG]

This is also Brooks, but modern. Tan linen.

[​IMG]

Cream linen, from Alan Flusser's Stein Mart line. The fit on this one is pretty poor, IMO.

[​IMG]

Brown suede, from Land's End. I wear this one primarily with tweeds and such.

11. Anthony Jordan

Very nice!; the grey one is may favourite but they are all very handsome. I used to have a reluctance about wearing double-breasted waistcoats but now I am falling in love with them again, although there will always be room in my wardrobe for the simple single-breasted notch, like your middle two.

12. The ones below are some of my former and current waistcoats. I have more, but haven't gotten around to photographing them yet.

Mid 19th century. Cool detail -- the body is satin, but the big flowers are velvet:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Late 19th century:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Late 19th century:

[​IMG][​IMG][/QUOTE]

13. Turn of the 20th century:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Turn of the 20th century:

[​IMG][​IMG]

An evening (tuxedo) silk waistcoat, dated 1915. The pattern reminds me of William Morris and the Pre-Raphaelite movement:

[​IMG][​IMG]

14. Another silk tuxedo waistcoat, this one from the 1920s. The tone-on-tone design is pure ‘20s Art Deco:

[​IMG]

A cotton pique evening waistcoat from the late ‘20s with unusual peaked lapels:

[​IMG]

Another evening waistcoat from the late ‘20s. Unusual T-back. Needs a good soaking in Biz:

[​IMG]

15. 6StringShooter

6StringShooter One of the Regulars

niiiice!!!!

16. Anthony Jordan

17. Thffft to them and good on you. :)

18. Oooo, thanks! :D

19. The Wolf

The Wolf Call Me a Cab

the fit

I too like a tight fitting vest, with loose trousers. I think it comes from watching 1930s movies.[huh]

Sincerely,
    the Wolf

20. carter

carter I'll Lock Up

Gentlemen, AMAZING PICTURES! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thank you. I have been searching for the better part of a year for waistcoats on ebay US & UK, in retail, etc. with little success. It's about as easy as buying a three-piece suit these days.

I did recently purchase a two-piece Harris Tweed from the UK but that's about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you have better sources for waistcoats for big guys, please post them.

Thanks for starting this thread! :D