Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your waistcoats/Vests?

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
I thought this might be worth doing, prompted by consideration of my latest purchase (first photograph), so here you go:

Morning Waistcoats:

Picture399.jpg

I like this one - London tailored.

Picture404.jpg

Savile row - black herringbone, and note the detail below - an extra button set into the lapel to keep it closed:

Picture402.jpg

Another grey one:

Picture408.jpg

Sand/cream/light buff this time - possibly some sort of washed silk? It feels a little too slippery for linen:

Picture406.jpg

This is an interesting one; I suspect that it is technically an evening waistcoat, but I am thinking of trying it during the day, as part of a morning coat/frock coat ensemble:

Picture401.jpg

A single-breasted morning waistcoat with notched lapels:

Picture410.jpg

A braided and slipped waistcoat, also see the detail below:

Picture425.jpg

Picture426.jpg

A simple waistcoat in "Jersey weave" - would work as part of a half morning dress/stroller ensemble or in a more countrified setting:

Picture415.jpg

Some country ones next.

Anthony.

Josephine

One Too Many
Very nice :) If I may make a request? I'd love to see these worn, I adore a man in a well fitted vest and shirt sleeves; the vest is form fitting and the sleeves are full and he looks like a well dressed pirate! :D

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Thanks for the comments, and here are some more:

Notched lapel (I like this style):

Picture412.jpg

A versatile green:
Picture413.jpg

Wine/maroon with horse head buttons:

Picture414.jpg

A fairly busy check on an unusual light ground:

Picture416.jpg

Irish linen check, notched lapel:

Picture417.jpg

Anthony.

Lionheart

One of the Regulars
Big fan of vests here!

The vests/waistcoats in this thread are *extremely stylish*. I gotta get my hands on some of these!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Josephine said:
Very nice :) If I may make a request? I'd love to see these worn, I adore a man in a well fitted vest and shirt sleeves; the vest is form fitting and the sleeves are full and he looks like a well dressed pirate! :D

I'm afraid you are in the minority, Josephine. I like my waistcoats (vests) to be paint-like in fit and people always say that they are too form fitting in a man my age. You can't win! Needless to say, I ignore them.

Alan

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
This is a vintage British backless DB morning waiscoat that I wore in my wedding:

morning_dress.jpg

I have since sold it to another FL member, because I got this one:

DSC00388.jpg

A fully backed vintage Brooks Brothers grey wool morning vest. This one motivates me to not gain weight. Or breathe deeply when I'm wearing it, for that matter. :)

DSC00394.jpg

This is also Brooks, but modern. Tan linen.

DSC00391.jpg

Cream linen, from Alan Flusser's Stein Mart line. The fit on this one is pretty poor, IMO.

DSC00393.jpg

Brown suede, from Land's End. I wear this one primarily with tweeds and such.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Very nice!; the grey one is may favourite but they are all very handsome. I used to have a reluctance about wearing double-breasted waistcoats but now I am falling in love with them again, although there will always be room in my wardrobe for the simple single-breasted notch, like your middle two.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
The ones below are some of my former and current waistcoats. I have more, but haven't gotten around to photographing them yet.

Mid 19th century. Cool detail -- the body is satin, but the big flowers are velvet:

New013.jpg
New017.jpg

Late 19th century:

New011.jpg
New012.jpg

Late 19th century:

New009.jpg
New010.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Another silk tuxedo waistcoat, this one from the 1920s. The tone-on-tone design is pure ‘20s Art Deco:

New016.jpg

A cotton pique evening waistcoat from the late ‘20s with unusual peaked lapels:

New018.jpg

Another evening waistcoat from the late ‘20s. Unusual T-back. Needs a good soaking in Biz:

New019.jpg

Josephine

One Too Many
Alan Eardley said:
I'm afraid you are in the minority, Josephine. I like my waistcoats (vests) to be paint-like in fit and people always say that they are too form fitting in a man my age. You can't win! Needless to say, I ignore them.

Alan

Thffft to them and good on you. :)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Gentlemen, AMAZING PICTURES! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thank you. I have been searching for the better part of a year for waistcoats on ebay US & UK, in retail, etc. with little success. It's about as easy as buying a three-piece suit these days.

I did recently purchase a two-piece Harris Tweed from the UK but that's about it.

1416604710_410a265dd7.jpg

1415726567_57b36b0aee.jpg

1416605040_70e433b017.jpg

If you have better sources for waistcoats for big guys, please post them.

Thanks for starting this thread! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21