Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your waistcoats/Vests?

Edward

Bartender
Anthony Jordan said:
A versatile green:
Picture413.jpg

Anthony.

I can imagine this in a good canvas or linen, pockets stuffed full of ammunition, worn with a pith helmet on the savanna... :)

I'm another admirer of the trim fitting waistcoat - definitely helps keep thed flab in check in my case. I'm thinking of having some customs run up with steel boning and laced backs. lol

BTW.... the pirate look rocks...

8c059696.jpg

...and it's amazing the sins a big frilly shirt will hide... lol

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I find what I call 'clothing fashion reversal' to be an interesting phenomenon. It happens with denim (as has been noted elsewhere) and also with vests. I grew up in the 40s and 50s, when waistcoats were still normal wear for a man of any age. Apart from a brief flirtation with fancy weskits by teddy boys in the late 50s, for at least 4 decades they became the province of the middle aged and elderly. Except when worn with morning or evening dress and for waiters and barristers etc., they were definitely an 'old man's' garment. I wouldn't have been seen dead in a waistcoat (apart from my leather biker vest) until I passed 50, when I realised that I had unconsciously begun dressing like my father. For the last ten years or so I have worn them (as part of a suit or separates) more often than not. Now, because a few young musicians, film stars and soccer players have begun wearing them (usually with jeans), they are suddenly 'young men's' garments and provoke, 'Should you be wearing that at your age?' comments when worn by the middle aged. Go figure, as they say.

The Wolf said:
I too like a tight fitting vest, with loose trousers. I think it comes from watching 1930s movies.[huh]

Sincerely,
the Wolf

Starius

Practically Family
Where do you guys find your waistcoats? I've been looking around for them a lot recently, online. The majority of online stores I find are just in the UK, Ireland, and Scotland. Very very little in the US, unfortunately. (Unfortunate largely because the US dollar is the most low it's been in 30 years.)

It doesn't help matters that they're mainly called "vests" here in the US because that also includes a variety of other garments aside from the classic waistcoat.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My collection isn't quite as vast, but here are a few humble offerings:

Brooks Bros. corduroy:

brookscordvestfh9.jpg

Brooks Bros. linen:

brookstatvestck0.jpg

Barbour shooting vest:

barbourgamevestot4.jpg

I also own both of these pictured below. Orgetorix sold me the backless morning waistcoat, and he alerted me to the ebay offering of the BB tan linen (I have one exactly like the one pictured)

Orgetorix said:
This is a vintage British backless DB morning waiscoat that I wore in my wedding:

morning_dress.jpg

DSC00394.jpg

This is also Brooks, but modern. Tan linen.

Perhaps slightly off topic, here are my sweater vests (would that be jumpers to you folks across the pond?):

p1011241cg0.jpg

Clockwise from top left: Shaia's store label (wool, Scotland), Corbin (cotton, USA), Alan Paine (lambswool, England), L.L. Bean (lambswool, Scotland), Ballantyne (cashmere, Scotland)

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Welcome all to the fray! Sir RBH, I like the overchecks very much - is one Pakeman Catto and Carter, by any chance? I also used to have almost an exact match for your burnt umber waistcoat until I disposed of it as it was getting too big.

Alan - I like your collection, especially the sweater vests, which I would call slipovers. Here's mine:

Picture001-1.jpg

I'd like to get a knitted waistcoat in a similar pattern but can't persuade either my mother or mother-in-law to take up the needles again...

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^I like it, Anthony.

Today's ramblings produced this modern all silk evening vest from the American bowtie maker Carrot & Gibbs:

cgeveningvestxj7.jpg

I believe they make things like this for weddings and such. It's quite nice, though.

onlyoneintown

One of the Regulars
does anyone wear vests everyday? I bought one tonight nothing special just went to a store in the mall and bought one (black) I don't know anything yet so I don't know what to look for but I would like to wear vests everyday if possible does that sound like a good idea? What should I look for and where? whats the price range? would I be able to find them in my size I weigh 225 and I'm 5' 7 1/2 well I can keep going but I guess I'll stop now :)

carter

I'll Lock Up
Where to buy a waistcoat

I spent a few hours yesterday visiting Harold's, Pockets, Polo, and a couple of department stores in Dallas just to see what is available in waistcoats.

The short answer is Nada.

I think I'm going to have Harold's tailor a waistcoat for me in herringbone with pants to match. What I'm looking for which is a high-waisted pant with a fish-tail back, an adjusting belt in the back, no belt loops, and buttons for braces on the outside of the waist. I want a 6/5 vest with 4 pockets and a notched collar to match the pants.
They can definitely make the vest. I'm waiting to hear regarding the pants.
This definitely allows for a proper fit since they can make adjustments at their shop in Dallas.

Here's a Country Sporting Suit that was offered on ebay UK. I don't believe I'll ever find one in my size but I may have one made.

1422572801_3a28000f44.jpg
The only change I'd make to this vest would be the addition of a notched lapel.

1422572847_fab8dc9498.jpg
The only way I'll ever have pants like these will be to have them made. However, smaller gentlemen can still find them if they are patient and look high and low.

1422572921_2693af42df.jpg
Detail of pant waist.

1422572985_38cbb8c5d4.jpg
I like this jacket but I'd add a breast pocket on the left and change the pockets to patch pockets with an inverted pleat. I'd keep the flaps. I'd also add a throat latch.

1422573027_6bb6fcca17.jpg
I definitely like the double-vented back. I'd add a half belt and an inverted pleat to the center of the back above the belt.

That would be a suit! :D

I apologize for going somewhat :eek:fftopic: [huh]

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
That's a great one, I really like it. Where did you get it done?

John,

Thanks for the comment - the waistcoat is actually vintage (by a London tailor whose name escapes me at the moment) and was bought on eBay, as were all but one of the rest of the double-breasted waistcoats. Most of the others were charity shop finds.

Onlyoneintown - I tend to wear vests fairly seldom these days but I used to wear them very often, generally with a tweed jacket and corduroy trousers. I would suggest trying the local thrift shops as a first resource.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
I think I missed this one - vintage evening/mess waistcoat in white pique with full back and detachable buttons by John Jones, military outfitters, of Regent Street:

Picture411.jpg

I also have another which is fairly unusual in having peaked lapels (single-breasted); unfortunately it is at a friend's house and not accessible to be photographed at the moment.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Josephine said:
Very nice :) If I may make a request? I'd love to see these worn, I adore a man in a well fitted vest and shirt sleeves; the vest is form fitting and the sleeves are full and he looks like a well dressed pirate! :D

A bit late, and not as good as Orgetorix's photo, but here are a couple of images - both of the black single breasted morning waistcoat I wore to work today:

Picture445.jpg

Picture441.jpg

Starius

Practically Family
onlyoneintown said:
does anyone wear vests everyday? I bought one tonight nothing special just went to a store in the mall and bought one (black) I don't know anything yet so I don't know what to look for but I would like to wear vests everyday if possible does that sound like a good idea? What should I look for and where? whats the price range? would I be able to find them in my size I weigh 225 and I'm 5' 7 1/2 well I can keep going but I guess I'll stop now :)

Personally, I would love to wear them almost every day.
I just can find many.

:(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112