Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your waistcoats/Vests?

watch shoes etc 011.jpg watch shoes etc 012.jpg watch shoes etc 013.jpg watch shoes etc 015.jpg watch shoes etc 014.jpg watch shoes etc 016.jpg watch shoes etc 016.jpg watch shoes etc 017.jpg watch shoes etc 017.jpg

Hi Folks.

I enjoyed seeing all the great looking waistcoats. Thank you for sharing, now if I may share some of my collection.
I am starting to seek shawl collar waistcoats similar to the modern gray one posted..
Thank you folks and best regards.

CCJ

Chrome

One of the Regulars
My pinstripe vest, prpably part of lost suit but I really like it. Six pocket if you count inside pocket too and nice pleats. Inside pocket is as deep as it could be. What is the history behind these pockets? wallets when not wearing jacket? That white stuff is snow :)

IMG_1296b_zps2ee34b64.jpg

IMG_1297b_zpsb856a79f.jpg

My pinstripe vest, prpably part of lost suit but I really like it. Six pocket if you count inside pocket too and nice pleats. Inside pocket is as deep as it could be. What is the history behind these pockets? wallets when not wearing jacket? That white stuff is snow :)

IMG_1296b_zps2ee34b64.jpg

IMG_1297b_zpsb856a79f.jpg

Very nice, I like the inside pocket...
Thank you for sharing.
Regards
CCJ

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
That is a great waistcoat. I like those deep inside pockets, they are perfect for a wallet in the summer if you don't want to wear a jacket.

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Here's a very recent find, a c1930's? evening dress waistcoat made in Calcutta, India during the days of Empire I'd guess?, I'd been looking for one to wear with a couple of old tuxedo's I have happily the colour/material being black barathea is spot on;
1zcixr5.jpg
x3ejat.jpg

2zog9dk.jpg
5487s8.jpg

34dh6c8.jpg
o56gw6.jpg

The colour is very good not at all washed out, lining has some slight staining from wear hopefully it'll come out with dry cleaning...back appears to be black heavy silk, buckle is a PRIMA, only downside is a very slight bit of mothing on the right lower lapel....I may get both faced in grained silk to match my other tuxedo's.

PeterB

One of the Regulars
Seeing all these vests got me thinking about asking the tailor to do one for my next suit. Given that my suits are all based on vintage styles and pants just over the bottom rib what is the correct height for the bottom vest button assuming six buttons and how far apart should the buttons be?

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
PeterB - I have an old 'Burtons The Tailor' pamphlet that states a waistcoat should sit 3" below the top of the trousers. I'll quote it to you:

'Vest Length.
Measure from the centre seam at the back of the neck and continue straight down to the bottom of the points. If the vest the customer is wearing appears to be the correct length make it the same measurement, but if you think it is too short or too long consult him on the matter. In DB short-fronted styles, the length of the vest should be 2-in. shorted than for SB's. It is necessary for the vest to cover the trousers by at least three inches.'

Hope that helps. It's from 1948. I suppose what it is saying is either take a measurement of one you like, or otherwise make sure that there's no chance of your shirt showing in-between!

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
Here as lovely perfect fitting un labelled waistcoat I found along with the suit I just posted over on the British suits section;
2hfhod3.jpg
sw5k47.jpg

ixtdvq.jpg
vsi92b.jpg

2ziwmc9.jpg
10dinlz.jpg

back is a lovely silvery mauve colour as is pocket linings, wool fron is a much heavier grade than usual and the waistcoat is a good bit shorter, in fact almost as short as my great grandfathers c1930 one.....though I don't think this is that old !

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Here as lovely perfect fitting un labelled waistcoat I found along with the suit I just posted over on the British suits section;
2hfhod3.jpg
sw5k47.jpg

ixtdvq.jpg
vsi92b.jpg

2ziwmc9.jpg
10dinlz.jpg

back is a lovely silvery mauve colour as is pocket linings, wool fron is a much heavier grade than usual and the waistcoat is a good bit shorter, in fact almost as short as my great grandfathers c1930 one.....though I don't think this is that old !
Nice one. Very 'country gent'. :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
It's the third through my hands in as many months Eddie, the first was NOS but the pockets were false so I sold it on at cost, the second was a bit too long on me but I still have it and this one IS perfect!

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I've now ordered my first waistcoat. I put it off for a few years, to focus on shirts, pants, and other things (hats, ties, tie clips, etc). It's unbranded and made of a polyester and wool blend. Here are the eBay seller's pictures, I think it looks good:

$_57.JPG

$(KGrHqYOKocE6vyuSoknBQ64lZtyBQ~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqVHJFYFDRE--t6nBQ64lHU2Qg~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqVHJEoFDOLn43(IBQ64livzy!~~60_57.JPG

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
New waistcoat. Light grey w/pinstripes. Five buttons. Two pockets. Fits just perfect! Been after a good, light grey one for ages, so this is good news for me :)

esteban68

Call Me a Cab
a Weekend lucky find whilst standing at a vintage fair, sadly too small at a 38" so will be up for sale soon.
A lovely British wool front probably pre 1960's as a heavier wool with two tone back, very good condition with brass buttons and four working pockets, lining is immaculate.
2j28h8w.jpg

f9haxf.jpg
9t1svd.jpg

21kl205.jpg
35l526d.jpg

s42pv7.jpg
e7jpq8.jpg

Shibumi

New in Town
Here's a very recent find, a c1930's? evening dress waistcoat made in Calcutta, India during the days of Empire I'd guess?, I'd been looking for one to wear with a couple of old tuxedo's I have happily the colour/material being black barathea is spot on;
1zcixr5.jpg
x3ejat.jpg

2zog9dk.jpg
5487s8.jpg

34dh6c8.jpg
o56gw6.jpg

The colour is very good not at all washed out, lining has some slight staining from wear hopefully it'll come out with dry cleaning...back appears to be black heavy silk, buckle is a PRIMA, only downside is a very slight bit of mothing on the right lower lapel....I may get both faced in grained silk to match my other tuxedo's.

Esteban, that is absolutely beautiful. Excellent taste.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ