Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Showcase of Non-Indy Federations

Goose.

Practically Family
Here's my tugboat Federation IV Deluxe.
Kind of a hump near the front on the crown.
A lot of tugs have the bridge or working quarters of them towards the front of the boat. This gives it a distinct profile.
Well, that's my two centavos...

500565779_ZHzqf-S.jpg
500629954_Wrtdk-S-1.jpg

250px-

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
kaosharper1 said:
What's a "tugboat effect?"

Crown starts out low in the front, goes up, and then slopes off to the back. My Fed IV goes from 4" in the front to 4 1/2" just behind the dents down to 3 1/2" in the very back.

I have no idea why it's called a tugboat. For that matter, I don't remember where I read that name.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
kaosharper1 said:
I see. My Fed also has a tugboat then as do most of my hats. I thought maybe it had something to do with the brim.

Do you have any 'mushroom effects'? Ask IndyCop but I think it refers to a wide almost reverse taper look from the front ;).

rrog

A-List Customer
Gilgamark said:
I changed the heights and added the tugboat effect. Those are the only differences. I might have brought the front of the brim down a little more than yours. I like my brim fronts to be almost perpendicular to the ground.

That's a good bash G. It looks good on you.

rrog

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Nice Tugboat Examples, Everyone!

My center dent is functional but just not exciting enough. I'm gonna have to try out this effect on mine and see if I can pull it off. This hat has begged for a center dent, but time to show it who's boss. Or, failing that, time to buy a Moonstone sibling for it.

If I'm successful with the re-bash, I'll post pics here.

OddSteve

Familiar Face
I consider this my first "real" hat. It's awesome. Compared to the Fed, my cheap hat feels like a piece of cloth.

The delivery took three and a half weeks to me. German customs are slow, and they charged me 20 Euros (about 27 USD) for it. Anyway, this hat is absolutely worth it.

I tried dry bashing first, but that didn't really work out. The side dents just didn't want to stay there. So I used steam and it was much easier then. This was my first bash and I have to say I'm quite happy with it.

Here are some pictures:

P4020508.jpg

P4020512.jpg

P4020513.jpg

P4020514.jpg

And here it is on my noggin:
aP4020511.jpg

I think I will shape the brim a little bit more down at the front. And I wonder if I should lower the crown a tad more, what do you think? Maybe I'm just not used to it.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi Steve,

The crown height is fine for you as it is. I am sure it is just you are not used to it, which is a common occurrence. You could lower a little the front "vee" by means of pinching the crease and pressing down the crown top edge at the same time - try it and see if you like it better.

The front brim will drop just by use, so no need to work at it specifically.

Maybe you could give a little snap-up to the rear part, too.

My 2 cents anyway, and it amounts very much to personal taste.

Nice to meet new European members! Regards!

kaosharper1

One Too Many
Steve:

I'm with Torpedo. The height is fine. The only thing you might do with the brim is curl up the sides a little. As Torpedo said, the front will drop. Be sure to wear it in the rain. That really helps loosen a Fed up.

OddSteve

Familiar Face
Thank you all for the hints and compliments!

Torpedo, I tried lowering the front v and I like it a lot, it makes the front of the hat more distinct.

Do you have any directions on curling up the brim a little? I'm not sure if I can give it a nice and even shape by just steaming it and shaping it with my hands.

Steve

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Nice job, Steve. I agree with everyone else: the crown height looks fine on you.

I wet my Fed IV, rather than using steam. I wet the front of the brim and pulled it down because I like my fronts snapped low. Of course, wearing it in the rain will work just as well.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
OddSteve said:
Thank you all for the hints and compliments!

Torpedo, I tried lowering the front v and I like it a lot, it makes the front of the hat more distinct.

Do you have any directions on curling up the brim a little? I'm not sure if I can give it a nice and even shape by just steaming it and shaping it with my hands.

Steve

Just get it (the brim) wet. Spray with water, or even run it under a tap. The Fed can take it.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
New "Maltese Falcon" bash

I've rebashed my Fed III once again, and I think I'm much closer to the Maltese Falcon style bash. I did this as well for my recent Art Fawcett acquisition:

DSCN1541.jpg

DSCN1542.jpg

DSCN1543.jpg

I was inspired to post this by the "Too Much Crown" thread. Hats of the 1930s often had 6" crowns (like the Fed III) and they gave them deep bashes to bring the crown down. Bogie did this with many of these hats. BTW, the shallow side dents occur because they are just above the crown of the deep bash. So they can't be very deep.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
kaosharper1 said:

I was inspired to post this by the "Too Much Crown" thread. ...

The Campdraft in that thread is a little scary I must say lol.

DSCN1542.jpg

Are you sure that's not too much crown ;)? Looks pretty good to me!

kaosharper1

One Too Many
CRH said:
The Campdraft in that thread is a little scary I must say lol.

Are you sure that's not too much crown ;)? Looks pretty good to me!

Yeah. I think its about right for me. It's 4 1/4" in the front and 3 1/2" in the back. 4 1/2" or so on the sides.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112