Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shrinking a leather belt?

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Has anyone ever attempted to shrink a leather belt?
I was thinking maybe the hot water/dryer treatment.
Need to shrink it a size or so, I'd say abot two inches total in lenght.

samo

One of the Regulars
Even if You would be able to shrink such thick piece of leather the results probably will not be flattering? It would be easier to punch additional holes?

Last edited:

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Can't really add anything that hasn't been said already. You can't shrink a leather belt but you can shorten it by cutting off the excess & punching a few holes if necessary............alternatively, you could buy a belt your size. :rolleyes:

robrinay

One Too Many
Moving the buckle is the neat way - ask a cobbler or better yet buy a stitch marker, needle, waxed thread and an awl or a stitch chisel and diy.

wdw

One Too Many
I just bought a decent leather hole punch for about £10 off Amazon. No probs at all.

If the belt's too long now, just cut something off the pointy end.

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the replies, folks.
The issue is, this belt is of the kind where the end segment on each side is narrower than the middle part (1 inch vs 1.5 in the middle). Kind of like a ranger belt without double layers.
That is why I was thinking of shrinking instead of altering it (to retain its simmetry). But you're right, it's probably a bad idea lol!

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Don't cut off the pointy end!

First try adding holes (punch and hammer), if that isn't what you want and you actually want to shorten the leather band you have to do it from the buckle end.
Unstitch it, cut and then restitch, or drill the rivets, shorten and rivet again (or replace the rivets with chicago screws).

It's actually very easy to do and that way it will be invisible.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
If you need a push, here are some belts i hand stitched:

DSC_4278_zpsymicce1f.jpg

DSC_4279_zpstnrlwwev.jpg

This is how i taught myself to do it:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112