Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shrinking (HWT) a A2 HH Seal Brown from USAuthentic

kasa7

Familiar Face
Dear friends; any of you have already shrunk an A2 HH from US Authentic using the hot water treatment?
I have a size 42, but it gets a little big on the chest and the sleeves. I was thinking of doing the HWT to try to reduce the size.
I have read in other posts people who have done with other brands of jackets, but since there are different leather types and treatments, and I have never seen anyone who has made this to a HH Seal Brown from US Authentic, I'm afraid to try it. Any opinions?
Thank you very much.

I've done it to a few "lesser" jackets. One came out great, one shrunk badly (goat).
I agree with the others. Unless you can afford to ruin it and are really curious, sell it and get one that fits better.
OTOH, if you don't try things you don't learn. I'd base it totally on your budget/curiosity ratio. :)

I've turned one into a crispy cracker. The jacket was literally crumbling how dry and brittle the leather got once it dried out... I found it and it was really dirty but the leather was okay prior to the HWT. Granted, it was a really lightweight jacket but the result convinced me to never do it again. One heavy jacket that I literally cooked came out great. It shrunk evenly, exactly one size and the result was perfect but I think it had a lot to do with the fact that it was a really heavy leather.

kasa7

Familiar Face
I've turned one into a crispy cracker. The jacket was literally crumbling how dry and brittle the leather got once it dried out... I found it and it was really dirty but the leather was okay prior to the HWT. Granted, it was a really lightweight jacket but the result convinced me to never do it again. One heavy jacket that I literally cooked came out great. It shrunk evenly, exactly one size and the result was perfect but I think it had a lot to do with the fact that it was a really heavy leather.
The horsehide is a heavy leather, but.... o_O

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone remember that water glass test Andy did? The veg tanned goat strip submerged in hot water just shriveled up, while the chrome strip maintained its form. I'd never try it on a pure veg tanned leather. The US Authentic chome tanned leather I'd not be afraid to try if I was desperate, but I've read horror stories of lining and zippers going wavy/getting misalinged with the leather shell.

I'm waiting for Seb to tell you to do it, and throw it in the washing machine.

Yes, first figure out if it is worth the risk. If it is...go for it!
If not- sell as is!
I have done it with older HH jackets and Horween FQHH with good results. I wasn't looking to shrink though. I was looking to stretch and re- shape things.
Don't do it with goat!!!
As others have said.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I soaked my shinki Dust Bowl's arms - I know, I know! - and while it brought up the grain, it didn't really shrink the arms. Actually, having read this, I'm now considering getting the sleeves shortened for next year...

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have performed the HWT on several jackets with varying levels of success. My Teamster in FQHH shrunk nice and evenly as did the wool lining, this one was a complete success. The Horsehide A2 from Diamond Dave did not come out as well. The leather was fine, although it did not shrink as much as I'd hoped, but the knits came out loose and wavy. In the end I had to have them replaced.
I agree with handymike, if you are willing to roll the dice then go for it. At the end of the day though, you will probably be better off selling this jacket along as is and buying one that fits better from the start.

willyto

One Too Many
I've done it to a few "lesser" jackets. One came out great, one shrunk badly (goat).
I agree with the others. Unless you can afford to ruin it and are really curious, sell it and get one that fits better.
OTOH, if you don't try things you don't learn. I'd base it totally on your budget/curiosity ratio. :)

If not- sell as is!
I have done it with older HH jackets and Horween FQHH with good results. I wasn't looking to shrink though. I was looking to stretch and re- shape things.
Don't do it with goat!!!
As others have said.

What they have said. Don't ever put a goatskin jacket into warm or hot water. It will ruin the jacket, dry out and become crispy. Literally like crispy bacon.

I did it with my Aero Leathers A-1 I got second hand and I was lucky enough that it came out great (The lining didn't shrink though) but it was heavy horsehide. It was the oil pull leather so now it's almost suede like.

I've been postponing taking pictures of the disaster but I still have the jacket. I should take them to put off people from doing it.

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
I did it on several Eastman jackets, B-3 , Irvin's and A-2 HH.
All well and perfect!.... but during ( slow) drying, I oil it every 6 hours , and put it over a clone of my torso and arms I fabricated with styro.
Never had an issue.
Would do it again with any jacket...but my way only.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

If not- sell as is!
Don't do it with goat!!!
As others have said.

Yep - stick it in a washing machine with detergent to help break it in. I've done it to more jackets than I can remember over many years - goat, calf, steer, cowhide. But here's the problem. The jackets never shrink or change their appearance (apart from loosening up). So if it's a size issue you're trying to fix I suggest sell it and get one that fits.

kasa7

Familiar Face
Yep - stick it in a washing machine with detergent to help break it in. I've done it to more jackets than I can remember over many years - goat, calf, steer, cowhide. But here's the problem. The jackets never shrink or change their appearance (apart from loosening up). So if it's a size issue you're trying to fix I suggest sell it and get one that fits.
Thank you for all the advices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana