Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shuron Glasses

Chamorro

A-List Customer
A few of the LA guys have asked me where I got my eyeglasses and I'm finally getting around to posting about it. Anyway, here's the link:
http://www.shuron.com/
They have a lot of cool old "horn rim" style glasses. The style I have is Ronsil Zyl in ebony. They happen to be the same frames that Kevin Costner wore in the movie JFK! Before I bought these I had a vintage pair of glasses and they were VERY expensive. Unfortunately, one of the sheilds broke and I wore them around with it glued on for a while. These Shuron frames look almost exactly like them, cost less and you can get replacement parts if you're a klutz like me!
Enjoy,
PBG

Copy of post by PrettyBigGuy

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
hey, I was looking online for some new glasses, as my current pair is wearing out. Shuron makes some glasses I really like, like the Ronsir in the grey tortoise, and the clear frame freeways.

anybody here have glasses made by them? what's the quality like?

gpwpat

Familiar Face
I tried hard to get the shuron frames. but everybody around here that took my insurance would not order them. I got so fed up I too went to lenscrafters and got these. but in Black / gold. even getting these was hard so I gave up on places that took my insurance and just paid cash through lenscrafters. I have since cancled my policy. what good is it when the places that take it will not order the frames you want.

visionglasses_1926_122099215

gpwpat

Familiar Face
It seems that if frames are not in their catalogs from the distrubiters then they will not order them. I went to 4 different opticians. All said the same. Even on the DKNY frames I got I had numbers and everything. They don't seem to deal with anything that is not in their books. Customer service seems to be gone now too. Funny how I could order any frme I want on the net for cheaper than from the optrician anyway.

as far as I was concerned the optrician would just have to order the frame from Shuron " I even brought in printed numbers and phone number" add their markup and charge the insurance. but nope doesn't work that way.

Zach R.

Practically Family
Help Finding a Pair of Eyeglasses

Now, I know this isn't exactly Golden Era, but I was wondering if any of you could shed some light on where I could get some tortoiseshell eyeglasses as shown in this picture, preferably very affordable, seeing as I don't need corrective lenses put in:

What exactly would you call this kind of eyewear?

[Fixed Picture]

Zach R. said:
Now, I know this isn't exactly Golden Era, but I was wondering if any of you could shed some light on where I could get some eyeglasses as shown in this picture, preferably affordable, seeing as I only need clear lenses put in:

StrangeVisitor47.jpg

What exactly would you call this kind of eyewear? It doesn't have a frame going all around the lens?

Those look like Shuron Ronsirs and i can sell you a vintage pair . . . I have one pair in grey and one in red.

StrangeVisitor47.jpg

Wow, i have no idea why that image doesn't work . . .

bk

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Ronsirs

I am about to invest in a pair as the price of AUD500+ in Aussie for specs is ludicrous.

For a wide face - original Wayfarer type width face - are Ronsirs kosher for such people?

Please advise.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Ronsirs

That is a huge firm and I suspect you should go with the "one stop shop".

By the way there is a litlte surprise on the Shuron site.

The General Macs type "I shall return!" type sunglasses are advertised as left over originals from their war supply contract I suspect.

I had a pair in the 80s and they were in glass and heavy with that big lense. I suspect the modern plastics would be easier.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Horn-rimmed glasses

I would like to get my boyfriend some horn-rimmed shades for Christmas, does anyone know a good place online to check out? I have only found one site that had what I was looking for, but their costs were astronomically high.

Oh and I live in a city with a huge vintage market and I have scoured it, so please don't suggest that! I was able to find a couple pairs but they were all cracked or bent....I would preferably like to find some deadstock glasses or ones that have been only gently used.

Thanks for any help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana