Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simonds Caps

Simonds

Vendor
Beginning stages of the new/old caps that we are currently working on. Here is the bill made from cardstock and vintage type interfacing. The bill is surprisingly flexible and can be shaped without showing any signs of stress, such as breaking or creasing. We are excited and confident that these will be long lasting with proper care.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
This type of fabric is called Duck cotton color brown.
Here is a jacket in this fabric.
rising-sun-co-x-barneys-new-york.jpg

This jacket is from Rising Sun Jeans.

Simonds

Vendor
Thanks guys, yes, it is a medium weight canvas that works great for the workwear caps. Got a request to make a new style, I guess you could say it's a motorist cap. Still tweaking the pattern as we speak but thought I'd share results so far.

Last edited:

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Barry, that is seriously cool! Please keep me posted on cost when you're ready to unleash it, OK? LOVE the colors.

Feraud

Bartender
Barry, great job on the style! :eusa_clap
As a novice leatherworker I am trilled to see the leather strap and bill.
I am getting ready for a Fall season cap purchase and looking in this style direction.
I hope to see updates as you tweak the pattern.

Thanks guys, yes, it is a medium weight canvas that works great for the workwear caps. Got a request to make a new style, I guess you could say it's a motorist cap. Still tweaking the pattern as we speak but thought I'd share results so far.

Simonds

Vendor
Feraud,Thanks, I have finished up the pattern and completed 3 caps so far I am sending them to the customers this week and hopefully they will be posting pics once received. They have been much harder to construct than the concept cap due to the thicker leather I used. I must say that I enjoyed the part working with the leather but sewing it on a regular straight stitch machine was not an easy task, one really needs a cylinder arm machine which has been on my wish list for awhile now. :)

Thanks,JC! The stamp has been long overdue and Florian(flat foot floey) really did and great job helping us make it possible.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender

Very much looking forward to seeing how these turn out. IMO, this would be an ideal civilian alternative to a crusher cap...

Feraud

Bartender
Feraud,Thanks, I have finished up the pattern and completed 3 caps so far I am sending them to the customers this week and hopefully they will be posting pics once received. They have been much harder to construct than the concept cap due to the thicker leather I used. I must say that I enjoyed the part working with the leather but sewing it on a regular straight stitch machine was not an easy task, one really needs a cylinder arm machine which has been on my wish list for awhile now. :)

Thanks,JC!

I hope to see additional pics and how it wears on different head shapes.

May I ask what leather weight you are using, also if you are applying a dye or finish to provide stiffness? Just curious..

Very much looking forward to seeing how these turn out. IMO, this would be an ideal civilian alternative to a crusher cap...
Agreed!

Simonds

Vendor
We beefed up the leather bills and straps with a 9-10 oz vegetable tanned cowhide and finished with oil dyes and acrylic top coat.
I turned myself a burnishing wheel made from an old piece of Mahogany I had, it works much better and faster than the plastic "slicker" that was recommended. I am really enjoying working with leather as I'm new to it as well, hopefully I can purchase the equipment soon needed to produce a much better quality job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points