Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Singer 66 vs 99 vs 301

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I’ve been reading the sewing machine threads on here and I’ve kind of decided I’d like to get a vintage Singer to keep around the house. I had narrowed it down to a 66 or a 99, but I just stumbled upon a 301 “slant needle” at a local antique store. It appears it was a good machine, but I’m wondering how it stacks up against its forerunners.

I don’t sew (yet) but my wife does and I’m hoping she’ll have the patience to teach me. I’d like something that’s as similar to a modern machine as possible in the basic controls and features, but obviously I’m looking for something with proven design and materials like a vintage Singer.

Thanks for any help!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have a Singer 66 (made in 1921) and I love it. While there aren't a lot of modern-type features, you can easily find attachments that do zig-zag, buttonholes, and other such fancy functions, and bobbins and needles are still as close as your nearest notions department. The one drawback of an older 66 is that it won't backstitch -- there's no reverse function. However, the 66 added this feature late in its run, and it's not hard to find machines so equipped. Singer also made a sturdy motor attachment for the 66, which means you don't need a treadle for it.

It's a very simple machine to maintain, and manuals are readily available online. Shangas here on the Lounge has had much experience with Singer restoration and his posts on the subject are well worth examining.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I have a 15-89, that was given to me in the 90s, still purrs like a kitten! If you go on line, they call it the leather machine, it will go through anything.

emigran

Practically Family
I have a Singer 66 (made in 1921) and I love it. While there aren't a lot of modern-type features, you can easily find attachments that do zig-zag, buttonholes, and other such fancy functions, and bobbins and needles are still as close as your nearest notions department. The one drawback of an older 66 is that it won't backstitch -- there's no reverse function.

I can clearly see my grandmother (and Mother) pedaling their Singer and having to continuously turn the fabric around and around... Now I understand what was going on... NO REVERSE...!!!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The 301 slant needle was claimed to be revolutionary. The slant meant that the needle went through the material at an angle, creating a stronger stitch. Subsequent models ending 01 also had a slant needle. Today, modern Singers no longer have a slant needle. So much for revolutionary. It's only a guess, but did the 301 which had a strong plastic body, as opposed to the more robust cast iron bodies of previous models, be the start of what we know as, planned obsolescence? Don't get me wrong, it's a very good machine, but consumers would have been wary about it being 'not a proper Singer.' They needed something to give it publicity. A slant needle.
For what it's worth, any Singer that has the letter K after the model number, K for Kilbowie, the factory on The Clyde near Glasgow, if it's been well cared for, will outlast us all. They are almost indestructable.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I have four Singers:

15, 99, 128, and a Singer 201.

Of these, I'd say that the 99 (or the 66, which is simply the big brother of the 99) is the easiest to use. It's pretty much an idiot-proof machine. It's easy to load, it's easy to thread, it's easy to operate. The only problem with it (as with all these machines) is that it is pretty heavy (a vintage singer weighs on average, 30lbs or more).

I have my Singer 128 as my regular sewing machine whenever I'm doing anything. It's an older model called a vibrating shuttle (or VS). They work just as well as the 66/99 machines, but they're a bit more antiquated and complicated.

If you're only going to get ONE vintage sewing machine, I can definitely recommend the Singer 99 (or 66, if you want something bigger). Either Lizzie, or I would be more than happy to help you pull it apart to service it and clean it. Once it's cleaned and lubricated, it will run like a dream.

Singer 99, which belonged to my grandmother:

1491740_1374403799484769_674982613_n.jpg

The 99 came in foot-pedal, knee-lever (what you see there) and hand-crank variants. Manufactured from 1921-1963, I believe.

Singer 128:

11898913_1636423139949499_1188944372117684096_n.jpg

The Singer 27-28 models were one of Singer's first really successful domestic machines. As a result these were made for AGES. From about 1878-1962, I think. This particular one is from 1936.

Singer 15:

12120143_1653302314928248_3668099528632953397_o.jpg

Clones of the Singer 15 are still made today in India and China, but not to the same standard as the originals. They came out in the 1870s, and have basically never died. I'm yet to understand the attraction to them, as I find them tricky to use, but hey, people like them...

12640454_1687184918206654_6072466333115792726_o.jpg

This is the 201. I need to build a new base and case for it.

Last edited:

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Wonderful detailed reply, thank you Shangas! My wife was given a Brother recently, so she will at least be sewing again.

After all this I'm well convinced that it would be nice to have a 66 around. Maybe I'll teach myself to use it, if nothing else.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
This is a typical Singer 66 handcrank of the 1910s:

f1c2d268f05dfcf8c1cbd7dc7b315a29.jpg

As you can see, they're quite large. They were what were called 'full-sized' machines, whereas the smaller machines (like my 128) were 'portable' (I use the term loosely), 3/4-size machines. A Singer 66 (electric, hand-crank or treadle) should be good enough for most sewing applications. The extra size means you can sew more things with it more easily. But it does also mean it's quite a bit heavier.

Here's a size-comparison between a full-size & 3/4 size:

12140741_1653334818258331_8104758316156434951_n.jpg

At the back: Fullsize. Singer 15.
At the front: Portable 3/4-size. Singer 128.

robrinay

One Too Many
I've taught myself to use Singers. The manuals are available online for free as pdfs if you search widely - you don't need to buy them. I've got an early (1929) hand cranked 99 with no reverse and an electric 201k. Both are excellent machines and will sew anything up to denim and leather provided it's not too thick. I prefer the 201k as the reverse is great for fixing the thread simply at the start of a seam without the need to rotate my material. I bought both after a bit of research on the internet - I was impressed to read that the 201 was allegedly the best domestic machine Singer made costing the modern equivalent of around £1000 In the 1960's. The other advantage of the 201 is that you can use both hands to feed the material - you can only use 1 on a hand cranked machine. You'll find lots of Singers in charity shops junk shops and on eBay at wildly different prices once you start looking so make sure you know what you want - don't just buy the first model you find. It's always worthwhile searching for 'local pickup' machines close to you on eBay - as they tend to go cheaply and you get to see them before you buy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana