Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single breasted peak lapel

StanleyVanBuren

I should also note that Jon Stewart is repeatedly seen wearing a black SBPL on his show. And, he favors a spread collar. Now, I know he doesn't choose these clothes himself, but still, this pleases me.

StanleyVanBuren

OK, and I want to go on further about Tobey Maguire -- when he stepped out wearing suit & tie, Jon Stewart complimented him on looking so good, then joked about how most people come on the Daily Show in sweats, etc. Maguire joked that he'd had a bigger show (Letterman) tape just prior. But even if so, I really think that such a guy as Maguire, starring in a huge film like Spiderman, and bothering to dress as well as he did last night is a really good sign.

I think that if there is hope, it lies in his/my/our generation. Not to disparage the efforts of anyone older, but if there is to be a major shift, I just don't see it starting anywhere else. If guys our age start insisting on looking right & wearing suits, and furthermore to appreciate details such as peak lapels, then we are heading in the right direction. Guys my age are not yet set in their ways and will be open to these ideas.

We talk about how the suit is the new rebellion and while this sounds good on paper, I've begun to see that it is more than just a good idea. More and more, I see my comrades in law school wanting to learn more about suits; how to wear them, what makes a good suit, what types of shirts & ties are right for them, etc. Moreover, this is in backlash to the older generation of current practicing lawyers in LA who are seen by us as being, for the most part, sloppy and uneducated in their manner of dress. It's not entirely their fault; these men are victims of things like business casual and poor salesmen in whom they mistakenly place all trust. But we DO notice these failings and we DO say to ourselves, "we can do better."

Now, LA is very fashion-conscious so this could be a localized phenomenon.

But seeing a big-name actor making the effort is certainly a good sign that it may not be.

Jovan

Suspended
I agree entirely. It really does lie in our generation of educated 20-somethings (or even younger, of course) to give classic style a boost.

Feraud: My mistake in calling him hip. I meant that young celebrities that many younger kids look up to can help save style by dressing well effortlessly. People take after those they look up to.

neyus

New in Town
Matt Deckard said:
Gary Cooper 1930
2 button single breasted peak lapel
steichen_gary_cooper_b.jpg

Next time I say I'm getting a suit made, remind me that this is what I want.

I have a blazer like that. Ventless, single breasted, peak lapel. Made by Chester Barrie. The gorge looks quite low. The only problem with my blazer is that the button placement seems a little low too. But I like to wear it with my pants pulled up high, and it doesnt seem as noticable.

Feraud

Bartender
Thanks Marc!

SVB, the suit brand is Merona and the material is cotton. I am not sure of the fabric weight but it is not a flimsy lightweight cotton.
StanleyVanBuren said:
Feraud, if you don't mind me asking, what is the make of that suit? And what is it made from -- cotton?

It looks like exactly what I've been looking for, that is, if its cotton.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Small award ceremony tonight...Here are the pics!

DSCF06411.jpg

DSCF0642.jpg

DSCF0635.jpg

DSCF0639.jpg

DSCF0636.jpg

I know I'm not the most masterful with pattern matching, but I'm working on it!

*edit* adding in few more pics *edit*
DSCF0644.jpg

DSCF0645.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
Quite awesome. The argyle socks are something I dig (and I'm wearing some now... with jeans!) and the suit, of course, looks wonderful.

The shirt's collar seems to do a lot of curling. I hate to say it, but you may have to use the stays. A lot of dress shirts today -- fused collars -- simply don't want to be worn without them. I know it's not vintage-accurate, but it's a tradeoff. [huh] If you can find a good soft collar shirt (or get one made), go for it. They stay in shape surprisingly well. Look at Cary Grant's point collars to see what I mean.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Jovan said:
Quite awesome. The argyle socks are something I dig (and I'm wearing some now... with jeans!) and the suit, of course, looks wonderful.

The shirt's collar seems to do a lot of curling. I hate to say it, but you may have to use the stays. A lot of dress shirts today -- fused collars -- simply don't want to be worn without them. I know it's not vintage-accurate, but it's a tradeoff. [huh] If you can find a good soft collar shirt (or get one made), go for it. They stay in shape surprisingly well. Look at Cary Grant's point collars to see what I mean.

No, no...you're absolutely right about me needing collar stays...I was in a bit of a rush and didn't get a chance to put any in...To make things worse, I only have the plastic variety...I'm gonna need to get some quality stays some time soon...Thanks for the comment!

That's an excellent suit. Love those knife-sharp lapels. Great stuff. Personally, with that suit, i'd understate everything else (see below and the gary Cooper pic above). I would even avoid a hat. Nothing should draw the eye from the suit itself.

I don't like those shoes with it. The socks are a good move as they reflect the button colour. I would also have gone for a brown in the shoe dept. Also a brown tie, probably plain with a white shirt . . . Maybe a black tie. The maroon somehow doesn't work for the shoes or the tie and the shirt is a bit distracting.

bk

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Thank you for the comments, Kurtz! I'll take your comments into account the next time I try to put together an outfit...Your points definitely hold some reason...

neyus

New in Town
slicedbread said:
Small award ceremony tonight...Here are the pics!

*edit* adding in few more pics *edit*
DSCF0644.jpg

DSCF0645.jpg

Nice suit. I would change the tie however...and shirt.

Although nice pieces on their own. The shirt is quite good. Just not sure about the curling of the collar.

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
Mr. 'H' said:
Thanks guys.

But I still can't visualize how on earth smaller armholes effect the body of the suit not rising when one moves one's arms.

I do understand the point you are making but I just can't see it in my mind.

Does anyone please have some stills to illustrate this point?!

Mr. H, while I have no stills, please imagine wearing a jacket with bat-wing arms. The fabric extends from your wrists to your waist, permitting you to soar between fruit trees. Now raise your arms. Can you feel the body of the jacket tug up? Alternatively, remove your jacket and shirt. Your are now topless. Raise your arms. Does your skin slide up over your ears?

I was introduced to high armholes by our dance instructor. She and her husband were, years ago when dancing-while-touching was briefly in vogue, multiple champions. She referred to low armholes as "dreadful". Now, everytime I hear that word -- not all that often, come to think of it -- I'm reminded of her last years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points