Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Single breasted peak lapel

Fidena

One of the Regulars
Odd style of jacket.

http://i.imgur.com/U3EJU.jpg

I've seen this type of suit jacket in quite a few photos from the early 20th century, and it's somewhat perplexing to me. A few reasons:

1: One button; this is the most common, but I've seen variations with two or three.

2: It's reminiscent of a morning coat, but what sets it off is that it goes with a lounge suit.

Is there a name for this type of jacket? Do you think he's just using an odd jacket rule, or does it actually go with the suit?

Feraud

Bartender
I have a repro catalog of early 20th century fashion and the style seems common enough.
It looks good with the knit tie. See the angle of the breast pocket..it looks near vertical!
U3EJU.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I would suspect the 'tails' are folds in his trousers, which don't fit great. One interesting thing, though, is that the front button is a link button. I've seen it a few times on suits, though it's more common on cutaways.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ah yes. Of course. I saw them as folds in the trousers but if they would be tails the suit would indeed be odd. But I think it's just the trousers.

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
I have always loved the style too, but I am noticing it popping up on cheap suits here in Canada. Unfortunately, it seems to be associated with poor workmanship rather than a nice element of style that was popular back in the day.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
Here is a splendid example of the single breasted peak lapel jacket: Raymond Huntley in the 1944 film 'The Way Ahead'.

TheWayAhead-RaymondHuntley-PeakedlapelonSBjacket2.jpg

TheWayAhead-RaymondHuntley-PeakedlapelonSBjacket.jpg

The roll of the lapel is superb.

Rooster Joe

New in Town
Check out James Stewart in the movie Rope, A fine example of a single breasted peaked lapel 3 piece suit,in my humble opinion. I'm sorry i'm not able to post a picture. Maybe some one would able to get a picture from the movie. It really is a great looking suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana