Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site for golden era clothes

Velma Kelly

Familiar Face
A really nice collection of vintage wardrobe, indeed. I've been collecting vintage clothing items for quite a while now but I always find it hard to find lovely dresses from the 20s, 30s, 40s. :(

Love,
Velma

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, I believe we have a new member here. Welcome! Well, try finding men's clothes in a size 44 long!!! It's not at all easy. But, I do it some how!;)

I have a few friends that know all the tricks to finding good women's dresses from the 30's and 40's. If you are serious about finding stuff, you'll find that it will pop up in vintage stores or antique shops. I have friends that find good stuff even in Thrift shops! So, when there's a will, there's a way. Women?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s clothes of the period are so much easier to find. There was just more of it made! Ebay is the golden ticket for some of the girls I'm friends with. They seem to find such awesome stuff for cheep.

Regards,

Root.

havershaw

Practically Family
Root,
I'm sure you know this already, but I thought I'd add that another reason men's vintage clothes are very difficult to find is that men don't take care of their clothes the way women do. Women will buy a new dress for a special occasion, wear it once or twice, then never wear it again. men wear their clothes until they fall apart, and then they mow the lawn/paint the house in them! So it's harder to find well-preserved clothes of the era, especially casual clothes. Even my work clothes are the vintage items that didn't look respectable anymore. Additionally...there are a lot more women merchants and consumers when it comes to vintage clothing (with a few notable and worthy exceptions!), so naturally, they focus more on women's clothing.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Hey Havershaw,

Yeah, I knew why it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s so difficult to find good men?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s duds. But, however, I do find a way to get them! People are amazed to see me find clothes that fit from the 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s and 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s in my size! I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m 6?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ 3?¢‚Ǩ? just as tall as James Stewart! Oh, how I would love to find some of his suits!!! I have casual clothes like gab shirts, plaid shirts, tweed trousers and so on.

Another reason men?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s clothing is hard to find is because during the war, lots of women took their husbands old suits and altered them into outfits for them. I have seen victory booklets that tell the war time house wife to make the best of what she has. Lots of stuff also were just thrown a way. For what we find today, we have to give thanks for packrats! With out them, we wouldn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t have any thing from the golden era!

Fisk, about reproductions?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ For men?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s fashion, it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s hopeless. I have seen some people make reproductions of pants, and shirts. The pants are very 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s looking and the shirts they make are really bad looking bowling shirts. The fabric is also poorly chosen. I have seen some good repros and they cost a handsome sum! For suits, you can find some tailors that will make you a suit, but the fabric today is just not what it used to be!!! Nor, will ever be again. However, Matt has found some fabric that is very good. I would even have a suit made out of it if I had the cash. This fabric however, is imported from England and cost like $100. bucks a yard! So, that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s why I stick to vintage because it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s just in my price range and you get the real deal. I would buy reproductions if I could afford to have stuff made, till some one comes out with some really good ones, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll stick to vintage. Fisk, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll make a deal with you. Tell, me your size and I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll keep my eyes peeled for any 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s or early 50?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s suits for you! I am ways finding stuff and I know where to look.

Take care,

Root.

havershaw

Practically Family
Ren, I kind of agree with Root's assertions about repros. The additional thing is, I like the patina that goes with old clothes. when I go to thrift stores. The materials they used to use just have a certain look about them.

DaVinci, a company which made casual shirts back in the day, is making them again, and I've tried on a few. The sizing is like modern sizing. I had to get a small just to get anything like the mediums I usually wear, and even then, it felt weird in the armholes and shoulders. Most of the repro stuff that's made just isn't done with enough attention to detail. I did see MattDeckard's suit which was made for him, and I thought it was beautiful.

I would love for someone to be able to do it right...take Art, for example. He makes (essentially) repro fedoras, trying to come as close to what a vintage hat would be like as possible, and by all accounts, he does a great job. And of course, someone like Art has that kind of an eye for detail.

I just got a jacket which was dated as being made in 1933, and I had it at my tailor -

- SIDE NOTE - fellows, I cannot recommend enough that you have your vintage suits altered to fit you perfectly. I have done that with quite a few items in the last couple of weeks - items I thought fit me reasonably well - and the result is magnificent, and far more authentic. I will post photos when this newest jacket is done - END SIDE NOTE -

- anyway, I was at my tailor, and she too was saying how superior the craftsmanship and materials were back in the day, and that she thought the clothes I brought her to alter were so much nicer than even the most expensive clothes made today.

Plus, there's price. For $400 I can get an Optimo, which comes PRETTY CLOSE to being as nice as vintage felt. For $75 - $100, I can get a vintage Borsalino on eBay that still edges out the Optimo (though I would still like to own at least one Optimo).

Finally (sorry, I know this is long-winded, I'll wrap it up), there is the fact that vintage items have built-in history and character. I love putting on a piece of clothing and wondering about what kind of travels it's seen on the road to ending up being owned by me. Who knows where it's been, or who owned it? A vintage item has seen more of this planet than I have, and was made in a time which I think is far superior to this one.

Sorry for the rambling, A-D-D-style post.

Wild Root, I need you to look out for me, too!!!

Wild Root

Gone Home
:D Amen brother! Haver shaw, you just said every thing that I wanted to say! You feel the same way I do about this stuff! We need to get together bud! Yeah, I'll keep my keen eye open for you too! You email me with your size and I'll keep it in mind;) Let me know when you and the Mrs. are in LA and we can go for a drive in the old Plymouth and I'll show you two around to the antique shops here!

Regards,

Root.

Wait, Wait! Don't forget me the guy who can take either the 44 or the 46 suit---good luck in finding them. I will just take either to the Italian tailor. It has been a while since I have taken clothes to him though. I hope he is not retired just yet. There is nothing like a tailor trained in Europe. ;)

Regards to all,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
Cool Havershaw. Let me know when you are going to be in town.

JP, I would keep an eye out for you but, if I find any thing that big, it just might go to my closet:D I'm a 44 Long. If you're a 44 Reg, then I will try and find you something. ;)

Regards.

Renderking Fisk

Practically Family
I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m a 42 jacket and my pants are 33W 32L. I appreciate giving me the heads up if you find anything.

I have to believe there has to be an ?¢‚Ǩ?ìArt Fawcett?¢‚Ǩ? for clothers out there. [Congradulations, Art?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re name has become an adjective for professional reproductions of Vintage Quality goods!] Not to sound like a lunitic and mabye you people get it?¢‚Ǩ¬¶ but the vintage look appeals to me and I wince at what?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s pushed off as fasion.

?¢‚Ǩ?ìOh, this is what men are wearing this season?¢‚Ǩ??¢‚Ǩ¬¶ not this Y-chromosome.

I actually believe we can change the world back if we pushed hard enough.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Gentlemen, please know that I am and have been in search of QUALITY repros for quite a while but to date the stopper has been getting the fabric. The weights are all wrong, period. Now, I know I can get special order fabric made but who can use 5000 yd runs?
That being said, I did a job in San Francisco a couple of weeks back and during waiting periods for the stone wash to dry I had the chance to get into Seigal Bros Tailors who have been around since the late 1800s and STILL have their original patterns. Yes, they were making frocks, zoots, pachuco suits ( still on display and for sale). I had a conversation with the gen Mgr and they LONG to be able to show off their tallents. I looked at the suits available and with the exception of the fabrics they are very very good. The neighborhood has dramatically changed over the years so they now cater to the less affluent ( Stacy Adams wool hats abound...gag) but I'm told the owner will accept any challenge to go back to what they WERE known for.
Zoot Suit Store

havershaw

Practically Family
I think they have some kinda cool suits on their site. Too bad the fabric quality's not there...but hopefully they're working on it.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, I'm sure they can make a good suit, but the stuff they show right now looks like every other Zoot suit I've seen. The swatches they offer are all solids and there are no stripes, windowpanes, plaids, checks, or tweeds. :(

If I ever get a Zoot suit, (I'm not the type to wear one though) But, if I did, it would have cream pants, with a single breasted coat that had those wide peaked lapels. I would go with a wide bowtie as well! Just like you saw in the old Soundies.;)

Root.

Dollface

New in Town
For Velma...

Hiya Velma~

I to am a vintage clothes collector...my collection is worth over $3000. I am to the point where i have resold some of it to get something new. I am very particular about what i may buy now. I collect from 20's-40's. My favorite period being the 1930's. The silhouettes back during that time were very feminine...and i LOVE the bias-cut...it looks GREAT on any women...no matter what her size and shape is...hehehe

A lot of my stuff i don't where out very much any more, because it is so fragile. Most of my 1930's stuff, i will still wear when i go to the ballet, theatre, or symphony. But, i am too afraid to wear some of my stuff dancing...i have had...what you would say...ah yes...the 'ol wardrobe malfunction... so alot of my vintage costuming i wear now i buy as reproductions.

Most of my repos are from ReVamp Vintage. You can find them on the web at www.revampvintage.com

Anna Marie who owns the company is great about finding a fabric etc. you may not see on her site or coming up with a design for you.

And for you gents out there--she has a GREAT selection of men's clothes. I even had her tailor one of her men's suits for me...and all the guys back here are green with envy everytime i wear it...hehehehe

Well, that's my 2 cents! ;)

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, I know of Anna Marie. She has the women?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s stuff down! But, the men?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s stuff is where I will have to disagree. I have two closets full of men?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s vintage from the 20's to the 50's and well, unlike women?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s clothes of the period, they hold up better because they were made of tougher fabrics. Any way, I have seen her men's fashions and they are not close to any thing I have in my closet. I have offered her to copy most of my collection and she wants to, but never seems to be too serious about it. The men's stuff she makes looks good to those who are untrained in vintage men?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s apparel.

It's very e-z over here to find one pair of pants from the 40's and have them copped. Lots of my friends over here in California will buy their own fabric and take them to China Town and have a tailor copy a pair of vintage pants they like. I have seen these and some of them look spot on! I like Anna Marie, she is so nice and she knows the women?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s fashions very, very, well! But, the men?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s fashions are very poor in my opinion.

All the best,

Root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points