Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Site for golden era clothes

Originally posted by Wild Root
JP, I would keep an eye out for you but, if I find any thing that big, it just might go to my closet:D I'm a 44 Long. If you're a 44 Reg, then I will try and find you something. ;)

You're a bit taller than I am so you need a long. I am sort of at the cusp of 44 R at 6". I don't like the jackets too long though and my legs aren't all that long. ;)
If you see something that would be great. I don't know exactly how many you can find though. :beer:

Regards,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
More of a 36 or 38? There is one I know of that would work for you as well! It's early 40's. Pant's are about a 36. Would that work?

I know about good food. I can't seem to stay away from it my self. I'm needing to drop about 20 pounds to fit itno some of my other stuff. LOL

Regards.

Velma Kelly

Familiar Face
Re: For Velma...

Dear Dollface,

thanks so much for your message and the link to ReVamp. I didn't know this site before. Anna Marie makes beautiful vintage reproductions, indeed.

It's always nice to find other vintage clothes collectors through the internet. I started to collect when I found suitcases full of old dresses of my grandma and mom when I was 14 or 15 years old. Most of the dresses didn't fit my size though since my grandma and mom were very daintly, not to say skinny, when they were young. I immediately fell in love with the old wardrobe and kept every single piece. Later I discovered the joy of Ebay and soon I had bought a humble but sweet collection of casual streetwear, nightwear and eveningwear that actually were my size and I started to add a touch of retro to my everyday life. I try to wear something vintage every day, even if it's just an ornament or flower for my hair but I usually try to combine my vintage wardrobe with my modern clothes. And nowadays it's easier than ever since fashion repeats itself continuously. Call me crazy but I truly believe that these things help to keep the spirit of the times gone by alive.

I just have a gown made for me in the style of the 20s/30s Hollywood gowns but with a modern twist. It's a two piece consisting of a beautiful corset that I had to order from the US where they will have to make it for me and which costs about 400 $, and secondly I have a designer here from Germany who will make me a beautiful matching skirt that designed myself and which costs again about 250$ - 300$. I know it's a lot of money and I saved a long time for that but it's worth it. It will be for the wedding of my best friend and I will be her maid of honor. I've known her since we were babies and it's a very special occasion for both of us. I also made sure that I can combine both the corset and the skirt with lots of other stuff, too, so I will be able to wear them again and again for several occasions without someone pointing at me and saying "Didn't I see you in this dress before, did I?" ;) Ladies... ::sigh::

I also have a little collections of reproductions of movie costumes, e.g. the red gown which Sarah wears in "The Fearless Vampire Killers". I'll celebrate my 22th birthday on Saturday and I will fullfill me one big wish with having a reproduction of one of the dresses from "Titanic" made for me. I'm so in love with this dress and it's a long secret dream of mine.

I wish you a wonderful day, Dollface!

Love,
Velma

Originally posted by Dollface

Hiya Velma~

I to am a vintage clothes collector...my collection is worth over $3000. I am to the point where i have resold some of it to get something new. I am very particular about what i may buy now. I collect from 20's-40's. My favorite period being the 1930's. The silhouettes back during that time were very feminine...and i LOVE the bias-cut...it looks GREAT on any women...no matter what her size and shape is...hehehe

A lot of my stuff i don't where out very much any more, because it is so fragile. Most of my 1930's stuff, i will still wear when i go to the ballet, theatre, or symphony. But, i am too afraid to wear some of my stuff dancing...i have had...what you would say...ah yes...the 'ol wardrobe malfunction... so alot of my vintage costuming i wear now i buy as reproductions.

Most of my repos are from ReVamp Vintage. You can find them on the web at www.revampvintage.com

Anna Marie who owns the company is great about finding a fabric etc. you may not see on her site or coming up with a design for you.

And for you gents out there--she has a GREAT selection of men's clothes. I even had her tailor one of her men's suits for me...and all the guys back here are green with envy everytime i wear it...hehehehe

Well, that's my 2 cents! ;)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I'm not holding my breath looking for a vintage suit. Finding a size 46S coat with size 40 pants is only a dream! Repros might be the only way to go.

Brad Bowers

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
WOW!!!!

Bid placed, my friend, thank you so much!

You are the master at finding these things. Now, if it's only possible to let the pants out a little bit...

Brad Bowers

havershaw

Practically Family
You're welcome!

I'm OK at finding stuff, but this was pure luck. When the suit was originally put up, there were no measurements listed. I emailed for them and I had just got them last night.

Lucky coincidence!

I hope you win 'em.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yep! Summer weight wool as well. Some what of a tweed blue with a slight pattern.

I'll look,

Root.

PS. Brad, you have got to get that suit!!! Cheap as I'll get out. The pants should have the inch you need to let out. Good luck my friend! See, never give up!

Dollface

New in Town
For Velma Dahling....

Hello Love~

If you are interested in a reproduction Titanic gown, i can certainly point you in the right direction. I had a women make me Satine's "Black Diamonds" from Moulin Rouge. She did an awesome job at making the costume. She makes her own patterns. She makes many different kinds of movie costumes from many eras. She is based out of Tampa, Florida here in the states. Here is her website check it out....

MOVIE GOWNS

Shoot!!!! I have some pics to show you of my costume, but it looks like the only way you can view them is uploading them on to the board here from another site...**taps fingers** . Let me figure out another way to show you the costume.... hehehe...I will be back....

Dollface

New in Town
phew....

Ok...i figured out how to show the costumes...hehehe

here ya go....

hellothere.jpg

helloboys.jpg

chair.jpg

spread.jpg

howdoilook.jpg

STHill

One of the Regulars
I've always thought a good product would be vintage-style repro neckties. I love the way 40's ties look, but I prefer the longer modern style, and I love the modern fabric "holder" on the back of the wide part.

So, does anybody sell vintage-look ties with modern amenities?

Wild Root

Gone Home
Do you know why vintage ties are shorter? Not because men were! Because men wore their pants higher. Also, most men did wear a vest. Tie bars or tacks were very common then. That?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s why ties never really needed any strap in the back to slip the rest of the tie through. There are some repros that were made by Fossil, and Tommy Bahamas. They look nice, but I don't care for the long look. I believe a man?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s tie should only come to his navel, not his crotch. I'm a purest and love the 100% vintage look. That's just what makes me tick. I do find some vintage ties that are rather long from the late 40's and early 50's. Just keep your eyes out for them. And a shiny 1933 World's Fair Art Deco tie bar is my #1 choice to keep that tie from flapping in the wind.

That?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s just me.

All the best!

Root.

havershaw

Practically Family
The holder is great...and I too missed it at first, as I hate the two layers of my tie flying all about...but I just got myself a tie clasp, and the problem was solved!

Canadave

One Too Many
Originally posted by havershaw
...DaVinci, a company which made casual shirts back in the day, is making them again, and I've tried on a few. The sizing is like modern sizing. I had to get a small just to get anything like the mediums I usually wear, and even then, it felt weird in the armholes and shoulders...

I just checked them out here.

They look pretty nice. Besides your comments above, havershaw, how is the quality (stitching, fabric etc)? Does anyone else have any experience with them?

Thanks,

David

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
A lot of vintage ties I own have the design on the upper part near the knot and I think it's because of double-breasted suits which allowed only the upper 4-5 inches to be exposed. I really love the ones that, when tied properly, leave the knot a different color than the remainder of the tie.

Today, there aren't many men who will dare to wear vintage as their only choice. I have yet to see anything close to vintage design...I've seen some VERY ugly designs. In my visits to various vintage clothing shops in the DC area it seems to me that the narrow ties are in vogue. I recently sold a couple of hundred to one local store (I never wore them anyway...too plain...plus I have several hundred more of nicer late-50s and early 60s ones...you guys don't wear those do you?). I was amazed at what they paid me for them compared to what I bought them for...and they thought they were getting a steal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21