Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sizing Question - Need Help From GB Members

polocoat

One of the Regulars
I've been looking at Ebay UK for a summer rain jacket and I think I've found one. The problem I'm having is with what their sizing means. When a jacket is advertised with a 44 inch chest, does that mean the actual jacket chest measurement is 44 inches? Or, does it mean the jacket is for a person with a 44 inch chest and therefore has to have an actual jacket chest measurement of over 44 inches? Whew-:confused:

In theory, it means the chest, plus x amount. So, my 48 would measure pit to pit lying flat 26". OK, why is that? If you double this, it's 52". Typically, a decent fit is your chest size (MEASURED) plus 4". Now, we all have different physiques and desires for fit. Even a jacket style can dictate how it "should" fit. Most of my favorite jackets follow the above rule. That's why tag size means little. Always ask/get actual measurements. Vintage jackets tend to run small, so they're even more complex to figure out with only a tag number.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
As Butte and others have said in other posts, to get a good fit get the coat's actual measurments, eg, across chest, pit to pit. You can then work out if it fits by measuring one of your own coats and comparing. Trouble with sizes like 44 or 42 is that they vary from company to company. My 44 by Johnson Leathers is like a 42 in other makes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk