Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Slouch Hats - the Old, the New, and the Sentimental

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For any Aussie with even a modicum of patriotism in them, the sight of the slouch hat brings to mind our servicemen and all they've sacrificed for us over the years. I have a photo of my Dad when he was 16 (cheeky bloke) in his army uniform and slouch hat taken on the steps of Mark Foye's (now the Downing Centre Courts building) in 1941. Thanks for sharing your hats and their history with us mate. The WPG leather band looks the business on your current hat! It's great you've got your Dad's Vietnam hat to honour his service.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Great hats, great photos, great stories. Thanks for sharing!

As you have done, I've been planning for a while to get an Akubra Slouch Hat for use as a "safari hat." it will be a very stylish and functional upgrade from my Tilley for traveling and adventuring in unpredictable conditions.

But since I have an Art Fawcett custom in the works and a new Stetson Excellent Quality model on order, it may be a while...

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I like hats that appear to have "been there and done that," so my favorite of those is the Bardsley, but they are all nice looking hats.

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
Amazing hats... I really like the hat band that you put on your new hat... but I am really awed by the hat that belonged to your Dad...

~shoes~

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
I did not know the brass fittings were removable. I've wanted a slouch hat to use as a safari hat for some time, but didn't want the fittings for the upturned brim because those can get caught on brush and whatnot.

How does one remove the brass fittings without leaving holes in the hat?

Can they be removed from a modern Akubra?

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
You can also buy the Everything Australian Safari hat or David Morgan Coober Pedy hat and have pretty much what you are looking for. Both are also suppliers of the military slouches as well.

Fed

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
You can also buy the Everything Australian Safari hat or David Morgan Coober Pedy hat and have pretty much what you are looking for. Both are also suppliers of the military slouches as well.

Fed

Link to the Everything Australian safari hat?

Also, I looked at the Coober Pedy. It doesn't come in olive green (British khaki) does it?

DougC

Practically Family
I really like what you call the peg bash--any directions you can give me other than to make the crown REALLY pinched?

tuco1963

One of the Regulars
i have two slouche hats one akubra the other akubra david morgon i wear one brim up on the left for partying around the bon fire the other brim down for ear everywhereelse
sorry about the spelling im deep in my cups

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Man I haven't been on here in ages! I'm here now because I finally have a slouch of my own! Since you seem to be knowledgeable on these may I be so bold as to ask some advice? The hat in question is a Mountcastle from 1991. Sweatband is vinyl, brim edge is banded and the chin strap seems to be ok leather. Anyway. It's very, very stiff right now, what's the best way to break it in and relax it some? Also can anything be done to tighten it up a little? It's marked 57 which should fit me dandy but it's wearing more like a 58. Lastly what does one do with the chinstrap when not using it?

Thanks
Matthew Picciotto

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
Good to see this thread resurrected.

Not an expert on slouch hats, but my Akubras always benefit from being worn and getting wet. Working hats do not need to be babied. Mouncastles are likely the same in that respect.

Speaking of which, ever since hearing of the Mountcastle hat, I have been wondering how to get one. How do they compare with the Akubra?

Fed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana