Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Small rewards?

St. Louis

Practically Family
I'm nearing the finish line on a major project that had me tearing my hair out and secretly shedding tears in the wash room. Not only was it a terrible bear, but it had also been harshly criticized (rightly so, I'm afraid), which rendered the work all the more horrible. I'm closing in on it now and will turn it in (God willing and the creek don't rise) next Friday.

What should I do to reward myself? I'm not wealthy, so a vacation would probably be prohibitive. And I'm trying to avoid food as a reward for reasons I'm sure I don't need to detail.

What do you do when you want to reward yourself? I would be especially grateful for suggestions that involve the Golden Era way of life.

EngProf

Practically Family
I'm nearing the finish line on a major project that had me tearing my hair out and secretly shedding tears in the wash room. Not only was it a terrible bear, but it had also been harshly criticized (rightly so, I'm afraid), which rendered the work all the more horrible. I'm closing in on it now and will turn it in (God willing and the creek don't rise) next Friday.

What should I do to reward myself? I'm not wealthy, so a vacation would probably be prohibitive. And I'm trying to avoid food as a reward for reasons I'm sure I don't need to detail.

What do you do when you want to reward yourself? I would be especially grateful for suggestions that involve the Golden Era way of life.
It couldn't be any cheaper, and people did it during the GE, and that's to take a longer and open-ended sleep. After a long and difficult project, extra sleeping is both therapeutic and rewarding.
No alarm clock - just sleep until you wake up naturally...
After sleeping and recovering, then buy yourself a "toy". A present from you to you... It doesn't have to be expensive, just a treat by your own definition. (A GE item?)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I sit on the porch, turn on the radio, and read a book. I used to take the phone off the hook while I did this, but they've got that irritating electronic beeping alert on it now that won't let you get away with doing that. If I really want to be serious about it I go outside to the phone company network interface box, open the lid, and disconnect the line. That keeps things quiet for as long as I want them quiet.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Treat yourself to a vintage makeover: Hair, make-up, & nails. Get dressed up in whatever vintage era style is your preferred choice and then go to a busy place like a shopping mall and be gorgeous. We won't mind if you post a photo or two.

The relief you feel when you hand it in should be reward enough. But, take in a movie, or do whatever you do for fun.

Having the monkey off my back is its own reward.

It's not that I'm not materialistic. But I was raised by a person who was never satisfied with what he had and measured his own worth by whatever outward trappings of "success" he managed to acquire. This had him living beyond his means, with predictable consequences. I realized by my teen years that what he could never acquire was satisfaction with himself.

I'm not suggesting that any of that applies to you. You are able to delay gratification, and to give some thought to the form it might take.

In my gift giving I prefer unique or exceptionally high quality examples of "ordinary" items. You know, little objets d'art, or hundred dollar ink pens. A real nice kitchen knife, maybe. Same applies to treating myself.

Thinking about my Dad and Grandmother - to GE people if ever there were any and their "small" rewards for accomplishing something:
  • Go to the movies (my grandmother's favorite small reward for anything)
  • Go for a drive (must be at least a half hour) for ice-cream (I know you said no food, but the drive was a big part of it and all we'd get is a single-scoop cone, but it had to be from a place you wanted to go to / you'd think about their ice-cream or atmosphere)
  • Buy yourself something (less than, say, $50) - my Dad used to by old Big Band albums for himself as a "reward" ($10 in the '70s, probably the same as $40 to $50 today with inflation
  • My personal choice: if you have a minor league baseball team that you can get to, treat your family or some friends to a day at the park - very GE except the major league tickets were affordable in those days. But in many ways, the minor league experience today is more GE than the over-produced major league extravaganzas at today's ballparks
And, most importantly, congratulations on a hard job well done.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I'll go to the wilderness away from everything, everyone and no
phones.

I'll take a blanket and relax doing
nothing but enjoying nature.

Other times, I'll bring my oil paints
and canvas. Painting relaxes me.
Some wine & cheese with French bread
helps.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I'll go to the wilderness away from everything and everyone.
I'll take a blanket and relax doing
nothing but enjoying nature.

Other times, I'll bring my oil paints
and canvas. Painting relaxes me.
Some wine & cheese with French bread
helps.
Not wishing to derail the thread, but my simplistic pleasure is nothing more than a french baguette, with thinly sliced pancetta topped with that ubiquitous cheese, French brie and a generous dollop of mango chutney. My wife has a wheat allergy, so that particular delicacy is off our menu, but whenever I'm out and about.............

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Not wishing to derail the thread, but my simplistic pleasure is nothing more than a french baguette, with thinly sliced pancetta topped with that ubiquitous cheese, French brie and a generous dollop of mango chutney. My wife has a wheat allergy, so that particular delicacy is off our menu, but whenever I'm out and about.............

I like your "derailing pleasures".
I'll have to try that this Sunday.
Thanks!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Getting my hair washed, cut, dried and styled at the Aveda School is very soothing. I see there is a well-regarded Paul Mitchell school in St. Louis where you could probably have that done.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Getting my hair washed, cut, dried and styled at the Aveda School is very soothing. I see there is a well-regarded Paul Mitchell school in St. Louis where you could probably have that done.
You are so right, being pampered for the day always puts my lady in a good mood. She goes to the beauty department of a large department store, spends hours there and comes home looking like a film star, along with yet more MAC make-up.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I enjoy packing a picnic and going to a park (with a blanket, which is essential picnic wear) and having a pleasant lunch. You can make quite a fancy affair of it too... tea in a thermos with a teacup, nice bread, etc. But it can also be what you throw in a bag, too.

If the park is by calmly running water, all the better, but it is best if you have a friend (furry or otherwise) that can join you.

I also like to sit out on the front stoop, with a book or company, some wine, and watch the world go by.

Or sew something as a victory outfit.

I have a major project due next June 1st; I'm rewarding myself with a nice walk tomorrow once I get the next segment done.

Also, and this is going to sound somewhat odd, but every once in a while I reward myself by going through my closet and playing dress up, pulling out a few thi mgs I haven't worn in a while, accessorizing them, and then making a point to wear them over the next couple of days.

And for a boughten treat: a new tube of lipstick.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
.....this is going to sound somewhat odd, but every once in a while I reward myself by going through my closet and playing dress up, pulling out a few thi mgs I haven't worn in a while, accessorizing them, and then making a point to wear them over the next couple of days.

Not odd at all!
It's called the "weight-room" because I
had some barbells to work out.
Now it's just a huge closet with all sorts
of clothes, jackets, books and stuff I've collected over the years.
It's like going shopping... discovering
things I forgot I had.

Had a late meal & cannot sleep!

Tomorrow I will pay dearly for staying up so late!

I wonder if I except credit cards or
PayPal? :)

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I enjoy packing a picnic and going to a park (with a blanket, which is essential picnic wear) and having a pleasant lunch. You can make quite a fancy affair of it too... tea in a thermos with a teacup, nice bread, etc. But it can also be what you throw in a bag, too.
That's a great idea. All the years that we lived in London we rarely got to see the sights just for the sake of seeing them, nor did we ever enjoy the many parks in Central London. Now we live in a National Park we are determined to enjoy the amenities, none more so than to drive in the old classic car to a designated picnic spot. The boot lid (trunk) of the old car drops down to a horizontal position, we have a fold up picnic table that, when open, is the same height as that boot lid. Put together with a table cloth thrown over the two, we put together all the fancy trimming for an English high tea. Dressing the part is fun too, but don't do that if you don't like being photographed.
English Tea.jpg

This would not work for St. Louis, but if I want to feel like a million bucks for a just a few, I go get a professional shave. There's just something about that clean feeling and I don't know, maybe pampering, that makes you feel great. I would guess getting your hair done at a nice place like that would give the same feeling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112