Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Smoking Jackets

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
shaw1.jpg

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
So, what's the difference between a smoking jacket and a dressing gown? The length?

I have this one that I like to wear in the cooler months....
robe_full.jpg

Cheers,
Pyro

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What a simply spiffing smoking Jacket..!

Pyro, absolutely splendid jacket old boy! "Now is the winter of our discontent..." but not if you have the right smoking jacket to sport around your very own west wing!

Enjoy, I am still on the lookout, but have a friend out in Shanghai who is going to try and get a silk one made for me to the specs of the pics I posted in earlier threads. Could be interesting!

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
I picked one up a couple of years ago that was blue with oriental designs in gold, the lapels are black frogging as are the cuffs. It was a great find but not in my colors so I use it as a around the house. I perfer mine short jacket style as opposed to the dressing gown style. SO I contine to search and hope the right one and money meet in the middle. I have found some good ones on ebay recently but you have to get through all of the crappy costume peices first.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I would be more than happy to make up a smoking jacket (in satin or velvet) for anyone from a vintage pattern for about $150 plus the cost of fabric. ;) I have a great source for oriental fabrics around here, and I could get some samples.
Any takers?

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Lauren Henline wrote:
I would be more than happy to make up a smoking jacket (in satin or velvet) for anyone from a vintage pattern for about $150 plus the cost of fabric. I have a great source for oriental fabrics around here, and I could get some samples.
Any takers?

Ooo, I might have to do that! I've been trying to find a smoking jacket with a button closure instead of a tie wrap. Any vintage patterns like that?

Brad

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I like the smoking jackets as well, although I don't own one currrently. I'm wondering the difference between a smoking jacket and a dressing gown.
When evenings are cold I would like to keep my shirt and trousers on but have slippers, a smoking jacket and a fez. I don't mean a Shriners type but but the shorter, softer fez with a tassle.

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
Ah! Don't tempt me, Lauren. I may have to give you a ring sometime after the new year. Foley's had something that come ever SO CLOSE but it was not exactly my size. That's great that you have access to materials like that. I need to find some place like that near where I live.

Pyro

android

One of the Regulars
It seems like there are various mixes of fabrics:

All velvet
silk with velvet lapels & cuffs
velvet with satin lapels & cuffs

as well as sport jacket length and robe length.

Can anyone elaborate on the differences and if particular type of SJ is more suitable for a given occasion?

android

One of the Regulars
They've put the notch lapel on tuxedos and now on a "smoking jacket." It's a sure sign that the end is near.

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
I finally just ordered one the "dressing gown" robes like Pyro's but I got it in black. I prefer the long robe style over the short smoking jacket style. I ordered it in XXL. I hope it's long enough!
I've been on the lookout for a large "lounge robe with full length sleeves and the quilted lapels fora while now. I always liked the look of Gene Wilder's smoking jacket in "Young Frankenstein" , but again, I would want it long.

http://www.ladyofthecake.com/mel/frank/images/bags.jpg

I tried to post the above image, but for some reason menu bar wasn't working!

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
Pyroxene said:
Where did you order from? I got mine from here http://www.asiachi.com/7colbrocbatg.html Just as a heads up, I find mine to be a little tight in the shoulders.

Pyro.

Pyro,
I ordered mine from the same place! Way back when you ordered yours you posted the URL. I bookmarked it then and it has remained there until now.
Thanks for the heads-up about the fit. If it's no good I may have to take Lauren up on her offer for a custom made one!
PBG

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Still searching for my ideal smoking jacket!

Still looking around chaps, and I have a good idea of the colour and materials, but the costs coming in are ridiculous. For me to justify it, I would have to double it up as a dressing gown too! I was at a formal wedding last year, and one of the guys there was in his dress trousers, wing collar shirt, bow tie, and his great uncles dark velvet green double breasted smoking jacket (made me think of the album cover on Dr Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band!), but it really worked BIG TIME, the guy looked so cool, like something from one of the Empire's (British that is) far flung colonies in the 20s.
I'd post a pic of me at the wedding, but...I just look totally 'out of it' as I was still in recovery from a recent beastly accident. But the military tartan troose, and high cut Bonnie Prince Charlie jacket looked better! :)

anyway..mmmm, smoking jackets...we're not any closer are we..?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points