Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So through with COOL!

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Yep, I'm finished with the word COOL!

I'm going to try and rid my self of that term! I'm replacing it with "swell" "Keen" or "super"! I see what people today consider COOL and it ain't pretty! The most ugly, hideous, ridicules, obnoxious, stupid, dirty, nasty things are considered COOL today!

So, who's with me in this purging?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Sorry, I've been using it since the 60's. [huh]

Now, if you want to eradicate awesome, I'm all aboard.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am giving up neither COOL nor AWESOME. Awesome is my generation's word, and you can pry it from my cold, dead hands! lol However eradicating misused and misplaced "LIKEs" works fine for me.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
next_essay_chart.gif

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't mind "Awesome" if it's referring to something that truly is -- "Wow, look at that GIANT RADIOACTIVE LIZARD DEVOURING CLEVELAND!" It's AWESOME!" Entirely appropriate in that setting. But "Oooh, awesome, you got new shoelaces" or whatever makes my head hurt.

What I'd like to purge is "Dood," especially when used thusly:

Me: Have you boiled that popcorn kettle yet?

Concession Kid: Dood, I'm on it.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
What tickles me is how on the west side of the pond it's been "awesome" for some odd years now, in the UK it's been "brilliant".
I'd like to fill in some of the blanks, however. Can we back track further?
Bertie Wooster, I believe, used the term "spiffing" incessantly.
And how far back does "keen" go?
Film buffs: what words do the adolescents in golden age movies use when they want to be obnoxious?

mike

Call Me a Cab
HA!

I had no idea dope was the new tight!

I bet bruce campbell is solely responsible for that chart's groovy reemergence in 2000.

lol

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
I don't mind "Awesome" if it's referring to something that truly is -- "Wow, look at that GIANT RADIOACTIVE LIZARD DEVOURING CLEVELAND!" It's AWESOME!" Entirely appropriate in that setting. But "Oooh, awesome, you got new shoelaces" or whatever makes my head hurt.

What I'd like to purge is "Dood," especially when used thusly:

Me: Have you boiled that popcorn kettle yet?

Concession Kid: Dood, I'm on it.
If he doesn't notice you're a chyk and not a dood, he has problems a greater vocabulary can't possibly solve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk