Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Hooray! Like I thought, their sales-boxes were still full of the good boxerbriefs, luckily with much of my size 5/M, too and I grabbed four of the great ones from Schöller. ;) And yes, the new four are all very well made, like my other ones. I'm happy.

Again:
You just have to know the right source! And never tell the other about.

Hip-hip-hooray.
I'm happy for ya pilgrim! :D:D:D

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Step out your car, go to Him, knock friendly on his window and after He opened it, say:

"Hello Sir. Was the right colour not including, for you?".

Trenchfriend buddy...this is not Germany!

Traffic in the USA is quite challenging.
And that's putting it mildly.

I doubt you would even make it to his window.
And if by a miracle you did, what makes you think he's going to roll down the window?
At most you'll probably receive the universal one-finger salute as he drove off.
And consider yourself lucky if your car is still there in one piece
where you left it. :D:D:D

Last edited:
I can tell you for a fact that the overwhelming majority of 32oz sodas and large popcorns sold from our concession stand are not finished by their purchasers. After every show we throw away many large containers still three-quarters full, and that kind of waste makes me mad. We make our money on the sales whether or not the product is consumed, but I get very upset at the thought that the product has gone thru a long and ardurous manufacturing process involving hundreds or thousands of different people around the world, only to be tossed into the garbage because the purchaser overestimated their consumption needs.

That kind of decadent profligacy is the sign of a society that doesn't deserve prosperity. If it was up to me, we wouldn't sell "large" at all.

I've been thinking a lot about this ever since you wrote it as - as noted in my prior post, while I'll leave the wholesale judgment of society to God or time - wasting food (or really anything) is just not in my upbringing or nature. And while I try very hard not to judge things that aren't my business, I do sometimes get a bit miffed when I see arrant waste.

But maybe - and here's my one small thought after much thinking with my small brain - those who are wasteful versus your or my upbringing and life experiences, didn't have similar upbringing or experiences. I've said before that if you saw the TV show "The Wonder Years" you have a good sense of the neighborhood I grew up in (mine was older and more of a town residential area than suburb, but socio-economically similar - and I grew up in about the same time period as the show's characters).

So, while it was always "that's cost money" and "don't waste this, that or the other thing" in my house, many of my friends - all far from wealthy - didn't grow up that way. Their kitchens were stocked with food and they ate or wasted it almost willy nilly (one for the "Terms Which Have Disappeared" thread) - there was almost a pride in their parents in there being food aplenty. Again, these were not wealthy or show-off households (except for "that" one or two that tried to put on the dog [another one for "Terms Which Have Disappeared" thread]) as no one was wealthy and everyone was reasonably frugal, but there was "small" waste in a lot of those houses.

For me, going into those houses and seeing the freedom with food was like Dorothy when she woke up in Oz, but for those kids, how would they have learned food thriftiness? How would it have been woven into the fabric of who they are - like it was me? If you grow up tossing away a half-eaten apple, or pouring a half-finished soda out, why would you become a different adult? Maybe they were raised "wrong," but overall, these were hard working families who raised their kids with traditional values of work and thrift (just not the full-on depression-era frugality that I learned).

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I've been thinking a lot about this ever since you wrote it as - as noted in my prior post, while I'll leave the wholesale judgment of society to God or time - wasting food (or really anything) is just not in my upbringing or nature. And while I try very hard not to judge things that aren't my business, I do sometimes get a bit miffed when I see arrant waste.

But maybe - and here's my one small thought after much thinking with my small brain - those who are wasteful versus your or my upbringing and life experiences, didn't have similar upbringing or experiences. I've said before that if you saw the TV show "The Wonder Years" you have a good sense of the neighborhood I grew up in (mine was older and more of a town residential area than suburb, but socio-economically similar - and I grew up in about the same time period as the show's characters).

So, while it was always "that's cost money" and "don't waste this, that or the other thing" in my house, many of my friends - all far from wealthy - didn't grow up that way. Their kitchens were stocked with food and they ate or wasted it almost willy nilly (one for the "Terms Which Have Disappeared" thread) - there was almost a pride in their parents in there being food aplenty. Again, these were not wealthy or show-off households (except for "that" one or two that tried to put on the dog [another one for "Terms Which Have Disappeared" thread]) as no one was wealthy and everyone was reasonably frugal, but there was "small" waste in a lot of those houses.

For me, going into those houses and seeing the freedom with food was like Dorothy when she woke up in Oz, but for those kids, how would they have learned food thriftiness? How would it have been woven into the fabric of who they are - like it was me? If you grow up tossing away a half-eaten apple, or pouring a half-finished soda out, why would you become a different adult? Maybe they were raised "wrong," but overall, these were hard working families who raised their kids with traditional values of work and thrift (just not the full-on depression-era frugality that I learned).

I grew up in a similar situation. But in my case, I hardly spent much time in other kitchens
to make a determination if there was waste.
Most of the time was spent outdoors playing with my pals.

One thing that comes to mind is that even though I had many aunts & uncles.
I don't recall anyone coming over for dinner. Only get-together was on Sundays when
everyone would see each other at my grandmother's house.

In my household, they saw to it that nothing was wasted. :D
6jcz1y.jpg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think such a throwaway attitude, regardless of what the individual might profess to believe, indicates a deep-down disrespect for the actual value of work. When you throw away a half-eaten apple you're not just wasting food, you're disrespecting the labor expended by the orcharders who cultivated and protected the trees, the harvesters who picked and sorted and graded the fruit, the shippers who carried it to market, the wholesaler who distributed it and the retailer who sold it to you. All that work so that you could take a couple of bites and toss it aside like it didn't mean anything. That's a deep and profound disrespect for the value of labor.

Something I remember strongly from watching "Misterogers' Neighborhood" as a little kid was the emphasis he always placed on the productive value of work. He was constantly going on field trips to factories and farms and such places, and always introduced these segments by saying not "here's how apples are picked" but "here's how people pick apples." His emphasis was always on the people behind the labor behind the goods and how labor value translates into the things we use every day. That lesson stuck with me thruout my life, and I think it's a good example of how parents ought to explain these things to kids: that stuff on the table doesn't just magically appear at the store. It's the end result of a lot of work by a lot of different people, and the way you show respect for the work those people do is by not wasting the things they produce.

I think such a throwaway attitude, regardless of what the individual might profess to believe, indicates a deep-down disrespect for the actual value of work. When you throw away a half-eaten apple you're not just wasting food, you're disrespecting the labor expended by the orcharders who cultivated and protected the trees, the harvesters who picked and sorted and graded the fruit, the shippers who carried it to market, the wholesaler who distributed it and the retailer who sold it to you. All that work so that you could take a couple of bites and toss it aside like it didn't mean anything. That's a deep and profound disrespect for the value of labor.

Something I remember strongly from watching "Misterogers' Neighborhood" as a little kid was the emphasis he always placed on the productive value of work. He was constantly going on field trips to factories and farms and such places, and always introduced these segments by saying not "here's how apples are picked" but "here's how people pick apples." His emphasis was always on the people behind the labor behind the goods and how labor value translates into the things we use every day. That lesson stuck with me thruout my life, and I think it's a good example of how parents ought to explain these things to kids: that stuff on the table doesn't just magically appear at the store. It's the end result of a lot of work by a lot of different people, and the way you show respect for the work those people do is by not wasting the things they produce.

The german pragmatists eat the apple, without any wasting, too. Naturally, because "that costed money!". ;)

We were told this ⇧ but, even more so, the emphasis was on "your father worked for the money that bought that apple," which is the mirror image of all the work that went into the apple as all that work was reflected in the retail price that you had to pay for the apple. So, respecting all the work that went into bringing the apple to the table or the work that went into paying for all the work that brought that apple to the table are just different sides of the same coin.

Whichever side of the coin you looked at, wasting an apple was throwing your father's efforts in the garbage can. I assure you, in my house, you didn't want to be accused of that - so I didn't waste food.

And I sincerely am not trying to justify other's waste, but just thinking out loud that I became who I am in part because of those lessons, my home's atmosphere, my upbringing; if I was raised with a relax attitude toward these things (and I saw that attitude in some other houses growing up from working families who, overall, instilled good values in their children), would I be more like them?

And perhaps now is a good time to separate out extremes. Adults, pretty much however they were raised, should have enough sense not to engage in egregious waste. But if you waste a little (which would have been a lot in my household) because that is all you know, should fire and brimstone rain down upon you?

^^^^^^
Growing up it was... "think of all the starving kids in other countries"...

I always felt like saying..."they can have my plate"

But I knew better. :D

The stories never made it across the border in my house - all comparison was to "we would have been grateful to have that (fill in the blank) food in the depression."

And like a I saw my Catholic friends do when the Pope was referenced, I showed a humble and respectful mien any time the depression was referenced and never, ever considered saying anything but "yes, sir."

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
On the note of how things influence you in ways you don't realize...

Last night my husband and I watched The Grapes of Wrath, which I read in 12th grade. I don't think it is a movie that could be made today given the way it portrays many of the police officers.

I grew up with a few stories from my grandfather of police beating up strikers and gang kids. (The gang kids being beat up for stealing food and coal, not for knifing someone.) I can remember in school when we watched footage of police beating on civil rights marchers other kids being shocked by the violence of it. I remember being a bit disturbed that I wasn't as shocked. Now looking back I'm not surprised I wasn't shocked.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
On the note of how things influence you in ways you don't realize...

Last night my husband and I watched The Grapes of Wrath, which I read in 12th grade. I don't think it is a movie that could be made today given the way it portrays many of the police officers.

I grew up with a few stories from my grandfather of police beating up strikers and gang kids. (The gang kids being beat up for stealing food and coal, not for knifing someone.) I can remember in school when we watched footage of police beating on civil rights marchers other kids being shocked by the violence of it. I remember being a bit disturbed that I wasn't as shocked. Now looking back I'm not surprised I wasn't shocked.

In wide swaths of the country during the Era, the police were not "respected." They were, more often, hated and feared -- and with good reason. There was a tremendous amount of police violence against labor, both organized and unorganized, and the police were the front line of oppression against every oppressed or marginalized group. At the time "The Grapes of Wrath" was being written, the newspapers were filled every day with news of horrific law-enforcement violence -- such outrages as the 1937 Chicago Memorial Day Massacre in which ten unarmed strikers were shot in the back and murdered by police officers were even seen in the movie newsreels. "Officer Friendly" didn't exist for that generation -- far too often he was a cheap, sadistic, gutless Fascist thug hiding behind a badge and a uniform.

ChrisB

A-List Customer
Something I remember strongly from watching "Misterogers' Neighborhood" as a little kid was the emphasis he always placed on the productive value of work. He was constantly going on field trips to factories and farms and such places, and always introduced these segments by saying not "here's how apples are picked" but "here's how people pick apples." His emphasis was always on the people behind the labor behind the goods and how labor value translates into the things we use every day.

For many people, food comes from the supermarket, those who actually produce it have become invisible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points