Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
So trivial yet it ticks me off!

When one Christmas tree light burns out
causing the others to turn off but you can’t tell which one needs
replacement!

Solution:

0979414D-2959-444C-920C-E7AB6AC71875.jpeg

Works, but only if you don’t have mice in the house. :cool:
Quote copy 2.png

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, no sh*t. It's akin to someone disrespecting your native intelligence by prefacing his remarks with "with all due respect."

People that tell you, “as a friend” and
say it loud so that everyone else can hear how you screwed up and how nice they are by offering to help you.

My enemies, I know what to expect.

It’s these “friends” that I wouldn’t turn
my back for a second. :D

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Folks that think they are having a conversation with you but in reality
they are not.
They go on and on about themselves
and you try to be polite by listening.

But after a while you start having thoughts about other things and
also annoyed at this person who
won’t shut up.

Then you realize that this person
who won’t stopping flapping their
jaws doesn’t really care if you are
paying attention or not.
Finally after they have finished
they will tell you....
“I’ve enjoyed our conversation,
we need to do it again!”

IMHO:
I’d rather spend winter up North
by my lonesome self than to put up with this. :(

Last edited:
People that tell you, “as a friend” and
say it loud so that everyone else can hear how you screwed up and how nice they are by offering to help you.

My enemies, I know what to expect.

It’s these “friends” that I wouldn’t turn
my back for a second. :D

You work in news media, so you've likely seen numerous examples of politicians "befriending" people those pols think might serve their ends at some point, only to forget they ever met when that perception turns out to be ill-founded.

I can think of a couple exceptions, who weren't really career politicians anyway, including a former one-term mayor of Seattle who lost his re-election bid. Paul Schell really was a good guy, and I took the news of his death a few years later as a personal loss.

As Harry S Truman said of life in Washington, "If you want a friend in this town, get a dog."

Folks that think they are having a conversation with you but in reality
they are not.
They go on and on about themselves
and you try to be polite by listening.

But after a while you start having thoughts about other things and
also annoyed at this person who
won’t shut up.

Then you realize that this person
who won’t stopping flapping their
jaws doesn’t really care if you are
paying attention or not.
Finally after they have finished
they will tell you....
“I’ve enjoyed our conversation,
we need to do it again!”

IMHO:
I’d rather spend winter up North
by myself than to put up with
this. :(

The don't want a conversation. They want an audience.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
You work in news media, so you've likely seen numerous examples of politicians "befriending" people those pols think might serve their ends at some point, only to forget they ever met when that perception turns out to be ill-founded.

I can think of a couple exceptions, who weren't really career politicians anyway, including a former one-term mayor of Seattle who lost his re-election bid. Paul Schell really was a good guy, and I took the news of his death a few years later as a personal loss.

As Harry S Truman said of life in Washington, "If you want a friend in this town, get a dog."

Not sure how it goes exactly...
but if you can count on your hand
how many true friends you have...
consider yourself a lucky dude!

Let me add that most of them are
of the 4-legged kind! ;)

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Having had cancer, I was able to weed out a lot of my friends from my "friends." I'll say for the better, but, that year was tough. Man.

What has been amusing is that one woman, who referred to me as her "second daughter" was absolutely non-supportive of me. She'd call me up every 3 months or so with some sob story... she was sick... or traveling... or busy with work... And she hasn't been able to see me or drop off a meal. She implied many times that I couldn't really need help with anything.

When I finished chemo and radiation, I got sick. Really sick. I was exhausted and fatigued and then I had a head cold. I could barely move. She called me and I told her i needed someone to help. She replied that I needed to get used to being tired as a parent.

Years later she doesn't understand why we're not close.

Maybe I've been lucky, but I can claim more than a few good friends. Alas, many of them have shuffled off this mortal coil. Most of them, come to think of it.

Still, I've been disappointed (and downright heartbroken) enough times to know to keep my expectations in check. And not to expect more from any relationship than I'm willing to give.

I keep some good, decent people at an arm's length because I fear how draining on me they might be if I let them get closer. People who are just lovely in many ways and whose company I enjoy, generally, have too many emotional difficulties for the relationship to ever reach a healthy balance. It's just too one-way, you know? And in the case of those people more or less the same age as me, or older, I hold out little hope that will ever change.

Last edited:
Uber and Lyft drivers who load and unload their passengers (and their passengers' baggage and display materials and banker's boxes full of documents, etc.) in traffic lanes during rush hour.

Downtown Denver is kinda podunk, but even here you can't block an entire lane of traffic without it messing up the flow for at least a block or two behind the offending vehicle(s).

It's dangerous, it's unlawful, and it's inconsiderate, on the part of the driver and his or her passengers, who I'd bet are often insistent that the driver stop in a traffic lane, because, you know, it'll save them a few steps, and to hell with everybody else.

Nobert

Practically Family
Slipping on the stairs in my sock feet and dropping a full cup of coffee, which shatters into three pieces. My favorite coffee cup, the one I use every morning. Well, it didn't match any of my other dishes anyway. Still, a Haviland Limoge. And my coffee cup, the one I use every day. Stupid stairs, this is why we can't have nice things.

And so, the day was utterly ruined.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Slipping on the stairs in my sock feet and dropping a full cup of coffee, which shatters into three pieces. My favorite coffee cup, the one I use every morning. Well, it didn't match any of my other dishes anyway. Still, a Haviland Limoge. And my coffee cup, the one I use every day. Stupid stairs, this is why we can't have nice things.

And so, the day was utterly ruined.

Look on the bright side.
The only thing broken was your cup and not your bones.
Besides now you get to choose another one.
s-l1600.jpg
Start dropping hints like a 2¢ hooker to friends and neighbors!
Who knows...You might find one under the yuletide tree this December.

Cheers !:)

Look on the bright side.
The only thing broken was your cup and not your bones.
Besides now you get to choose another one.
View attachment 93652
Start dropping hints like a 2¢ hooker to friends and neighbors!
Who knows...You might find one under the yuletide tree this December.

Cheers !:)

"$2 Hooker" that one belongs in the "Terms Which Have Disappeared" thread.

P.S., I had the same thought, just be glad only the cup and not you got broken. The older you get, the less things matter and the more your physical body not breaking does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points