Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

So trivial, yet it really ticks you off.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
How wonderful was the sleep they induced?

It was very peaceful.
I don’t have any bad after effects of any kind.
I was kinda ticked off that they woke me up though.

If anyone is like me about having doubts or putting it off.
I would recommend having it done.
The prep job at home was the worse part.
Now I can eat what ever I want....

Oh how I wish I could enjoy a nice slice of your NY pizza my friend.:)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My husband has them done every 5 years (he had polyps as a child, so he restarted them at age 30, they typically take out a polyp or two). He's really cute and sweet when I pick him up afterwards. ;) I always think I should hit him up for a new diamond or a puppy or something after.

If it was me, I wouldn't need this operation to make me show you
how much we appreciate what you have to put up with from us guys.
Your husband is a lucky man.

It was very peaceful.
I don’t have any bad after effects of any kind.
I was kinda ticked off that they woke me up though.

If anyone is like me about having doubts or putting it off.
I would recommend having it done.
The prep job at home was the worse part.
Now I can eat what ever I want....

Oh how I wish I could enjoy a nice slice of your NY pizza my friend.:)

I wish I could take you for a slice now. But most importantly - it's behind you (tee-hee) and all is good.

My husband has them done every 5 years (he had polyps as a child, so he restarted them at age 30, they typically take out a polyp or two). He's really cute and sweet when I pick him up afterwards. ;) I always think I should hit him up for a new diamond or a puppy or something after.

My girlfriend still laughs about the time she picked me up and I called her "a good egg," an expression I have never used before or since. One is quite loopy for awhile afterwards.

My girlfriend still laughs about the time she picked me up and I called her "a good egg," an expression I have never used before or since. One is quite loopy for awhile afterwards.

Yeah, there's a reason they won't let you out of there without another party to sign off on driving you home. A person THINKS he's just fine, but ...

Doc removed one small polyp and said...
“You’re good to go...see you in 5 years.

Great news 2jakes! I'm on the five year plan due to my Mom's colon cancer (which she beat). No issues so far. I've woken up a little during the procedure the past couple of times. Very interesting view of my innards on the video screen... :confused:

Great news 2jakes! I'm on the five year plan due to my Mom's colon cancer (which she beat). No issues so far. I've woken up a little during the procedure the past couple of times. Very interesting view of my innards on the video screen... :confused:

Oh dear God, I'd pay extra to make sure I didn't wake up during that event. Whatever they have given me has completely and fully knocked me out. As noted, best sleep ever.

Last edited:
^^^^
After my most recent encounters with the scope I was sent home with photos of my innards. Or, more accurately, the innards of my innards, with captions describing what I was seeing. Inflammation here, a polyp removed there, etc.

Anesthetics and sedatives can affect people in unexpected ways sometimes. Several years ago I had to go to the ER because I woke up with such severe pain in my lower back that I was barely able to get out of bed. The doctor wanted to take x-rays, so he injected me with who knows what to try to diminish the pain and relax me so I could assume whichever postures they wanted. They waited 30 minutes for it to take effect, but it never did so they proceeded with the x-rays anyway. On the way home my wife and I picked up some burgers because we hadn't eaten, and the last thing I remembered was sitting down to eat and lifting my burger to my mouth. The next thing I knew my wife was waking me up, and I was still sitting in the chair, holding my burger half-way to my mouth. My wife said it was one of the strangest things she'd ever seen--I had fallen asleep while lifting the burger because the sedatives finally kicked in, and my body froze in that position.
I1SQyi8.gif

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Anesthetics and sedatives can affect people in unexpected ways sometimes. Several years ago I had to go to the ER because I woke up with such severe pain in my lower back that I was barely able to get out of bed. The doctor wanted to take x-rays, so he injected me with who knows what to try to diminish the pain and relax me so I could assume whichever postures they wanted. They waited 30 minutes for it to take effect, but it never did so they proceeded with the x-rays anyway. On the way home my wife and I picked up some burgers because we hadn't eaten, and the last thing I remembered was sitting down to eat and lifting my burger to my mouth. The next thing I knew my wife was waking me up, and I was still sitting in the chair, holding my burger half-way to my mouth. My wife said it was one of the strangest things she'd ever seen--I had fallen asleep while lifting the burger because the sedatives finally kicked in, and my body froze in that position.
I1SQyi8.gif

Young 2nd Lt. “rookie" dentist injected novocaine to numb the pain to
drill & grill away at a cavity.
Each time he started to drill, I would jerk because of the pain.
"Why are you jerking?” He asked.
"Because it hurts!” I told him.
“Well don’t jerk, just raised your hand next time!” he said.

He proceeded and I still jerked from the pain.
I told him, ”look..I’m trying to cooperate, but it’s impossible not
to jerk when you hit a nerve!”
So he gave several shots of novocaine.

Later that day and the next, I could only move one side of my lips
and saliva dripped from the numbed side.
Remember the movie, “Elephant Man” when he tried to speak?
Yep..that’s exactly how I felt. :(

^ 40 or so years ago my dentist attempted to fix a cavity in one of my molars, but when he started drilling I could feel pain. Another shot of novocaine, more drilling, more pain; another shot, more drilling, more pain; lather, rinse, repeat. Eventually he told me he had reached the safe limit and could overdose me if he gave me any more, but that he was almost done and advised me to "grin and bear it". Which I did. 23 hours later, I finally started to get some feeling back in my face. o_O

EngProf

Practically Family
These days they have a lot better "knock-out" stuff... I had to have some dental surgery done and the nurse was describing the anesthetic's effects before giving it to me. She said I'd be in a state such that I would not be aware of the surgery or any pain. However, she said I'd be mostly awake and capable of conversation.
I was a lot skeptical of that so we arranged a test. I gave her a question about an obscure and highly-technical engineering concept to ask me after I was "out". When I "woke up" she gave me a little note with the correct answer written on it.
I remembered absolutely nothing about hearing the question or giving the answer.
How that stuff works I don't know but it does its job well.

These days they have a lot better "knock-out" stuff...
What surprised me is how much more efficient modern anesthetics are. When I had my appendectomy in the early-70s they gave me the typical "Count backwards from 100" instruction; I got to 80 before the lights started going out. And when they woke me up after the procedure I was really "foggy", had some difficulty focusing when the nurses spoke to me, and had a lot of trouble sleeping that night. Conversely, when I had my back surgery in 2004 they gave me the same "Count backwards" instruction, and I barely made it to 99. And after that procedure the nurse in recovery gently shook my shoulder, said my name, told me to wake up, and within a few seconds I was fully awake and aware. Quite a difference.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Interesting view huh? Didn't you ask for a photo so that you could share with us? I did, when I saw the X-ray I asked if I could have a copy. They asked for my phone number and texted it to me.
hip replacement 004.JPG

What surprised me is how much more efficient modern anesthetics are. When I had my appendectomy in the early-70s they gave me the typical "Count backwards from 100" instruction; I got to 80 before the lights started going out. And when they woke me up after the procedure I was really "foggy", had some difficulty focusing when the nurses spoke to me, and had a lot of trouble sleeping that night. Conversely, when I had my back surgery in 2004 they gave me the same "Count backwards" instruction, and I barely made it to 99. And after that procedure the nurse in recovery gently shook my shoulder, said my name, told me to wake up, and within a few seconds I was fully awake and aware. Quite a difference.

Could not agree more. I had the count backwards for surgery in the '80s and remember at around 80 telling the nurse - this isn't working and please don't let the doctor start cutting until you're sure I'm out. Recovery was hours of weirdness, grogginess and some nausea.

For the colonoscopy last year, I felt the anesthesia going into my arm, looked over at it and, then, woke up in recovery (feeling like I had just had the best sleep ever) - and less than an hour later felt no noticeable after effects.

I have never had any interests in doing drugs (alcohol works fine, thank you), but I would consider buying a shot or two of that stuff for when I was desperate for a good sleep.

Just be careful...

360_propofol_mj_0722.jpg

I appreciate the thought and humor.

What's also funny is I don't even like taking things like aspirin - I try to never take any over-the-counter pills / medicines / etc.

I'm quite happy to try this or that cocktail, new beer, etc., but I have an odd aversion to drugs, even the simple, pretty safe ones like Tylenol. As far as I know, drug addiction doesn't run in my family, but I did see some ugly things in my neighborhood growing up in the '70s that has made me aggressively avoid drugs my entire life.

To be clear, I'm not judging others or moralizing as what I do is right for me, but others should strike whatever balance is right for them. And, of course, there are people who need some, many medicines - again, I am not judging any of that at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points