Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some good lookin' hats

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
027-vi.jpg

12-vi.jpg

15-vi.jpg

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I wanna look like them too

But I gotta drop 30 pounds, grow 5 inches, and buy a new face.LOL

Seriously, those guys did know how to dress. It is frustrating, I have seen beautiful vintage suits, but the darn things are all size 37, or 39. Sometimes a 40.

Heck of it, I haven't been size 38 since high school when I weighed 145 lbs!!!

havershaw

Practically Family
Andykev - maybe we should swap home states for a while. All I ever find in vintage suits are your size - and I'm a size 38, so I barely ever find anything that'll fit me.

havershaw

Practically Family
No problem, Dusty. generally stuff at vintage stores both here and in LA. The pants sizes are always way way too big for me (I have a size 30-31 waist), and the jackets are always much too roomy. Online it seems to be the same case. size 42-44 and up. A lot of 46 also (I'm talking about eBay here).

I will be happy to check in at my local vintage clothes store (although I haven't been there in a while) and see what they've got available. What size are you prowling for?

(A last minute side note: I sent a fellow over to one the vintage stores where I bought my first vintage hat. They generally have a rack of nothing but fedoras there. The whole place is 40s-60s only and has been that way for years. Anyway, I haven't been there in probably a year or so and the fellow who I sent told me that there was one fedora on the rack - the rest were those trucker mesh hats. Just when I thought I couldn't find any more distaste for my generation...even the vintage stores are giving up!)

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
Havershaw...welcome to the small club :p how tall are you? I have the same problem as you it seems. Except 38 is still akward, as I'm probably a 40-42 in length, but about a 36 in width :( So I prefer 38 long. I'm a weird size :p But I can wear 30 waist pants....though I need 32 length. Back on subject...I wanna look like those guys!

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hey

Daryl,
DON"T RUSH IT. Put on a few years, what will follow is a few pounds.

You are lucky to be thin. It is a great thing, you will live a long time, and not be afflicted with the #1 killer in America: the GOOD LIFE * Also known as * OBESITY.

Seen Dr. Phil ? Thats all he has on now...fatties.

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
My doctor's name is Phil. I call him Dr. Phil. He says I'll put on weight too. I can't wait, this underweight thing gets old after a whilie.

havershaw

Practically Family
Daryl,
You never know. I weighed 150 when I was 18. I weighed in at 148 this morning, and I just turned 30. Not only do I not exercise (although I do play drums once and again), but I don't eat particularly healthily either. It's a mystery to me. In high school, my waist was a 32, but really only because I liked baggy clothes back in the day. Now I wear a size 30 waist, and I generally like size 38 jackets and suits, although I'm not against a size 36 from time to time, depending on the cut of the jacket. I've seen your photos, and you do seem a lot taller than me. I'm only 6' or 5' 9" or something like that.

Anyway, most of the folks I know who were skinny in high school put on the pounds in college, or exercised like mad to keep the weight off. I guess it's just a metabolism thing. I've never taken particularly good care of myself, though I don't drink or smoke (apart from the occasional pipe) or do any kinds of drugs. Maybe that has something to do with it, too, I don't know. I guess I"m lucky...but it's hard being a little guy all your life, too.

Fedora

Vendor
It seems most folks in the 30s and 40s looked really slim. But remember the depression literally starved many people, plus they did not have all of the processed and fast food back then. I think our heads grew with our bodies if you look at the hat sizes available on ebay. Lots of 6s and low 7s. You thin guys are lucky. You can never be too rich or too thin or so the saying goes. Consider yourself lucky, and envied by folks like me. My dad was a small fellow. How I got to be a little over 6 feet and burly is beyond me. As you get older, your metabolism will slow and you may pick up some weight like my dad did. I would rather be thin, and able to eat as much as I want, than to be overweight and constantly starving yourself so you don't get larger. Count your blessings and your genetics. ;) Fedora

Kwebs

New in Town
Havershaw,

I wish I had your problem. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m 26, 5?¢‚Ǩ? 11?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ and weigh 300 pounds and a 42 waist, I am not sure what jacket size but all my dress shirts are a 19 ?Ǭ? neck, I will never with out a lot of luck find a vintage suit. Your still young, about a year and a half ago, I was at 320 and a 48 waist, well I started losing weight and went down to 270. I started collage this past fall; I met a guy who was in to lifting and started working out with him, long story short I put on thirty pounds of muscle. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m not a small guy, but I am happy where I am. So don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t feel bad about being an odd size.

Dave

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
Taller than you my bony butt, Havershaw. I'm about 5'11, and 106LBS LOL And you're right fisk, I do need muscle. I'm kinda working on that...

havershaw

Practically Family
Daryl -
huh. from the photos, I thought you looked taller. You're right, you've got me beat. But Ren is right - you can do something about it. I have a lot of upper body strength and that section's pretty developed from 15+ years of drumming...I sort of 'retired' from drumming a couple of years ago, but it hasn't seemed to affect my physique in any way I can tell. I think I got to this weight around fourteen or fifteen years old and I've pretty much stayed with ten pounds my whole life - and I'm 30 now. (now, watch - in the next six years, I'll have to sell off all my vintage clothes as I mysteriously gain forty-five pounds...)

I'm sure if I did some kind of exercise or ate better, I'd probably be more defined and all that...but it's not that important to me. i think if I felt less healthy, I'd probably take some action, but so far I've felt pretty good, have tons of energy all the time, etc. Must be in the genes, I guess...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112