Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Something old (ish) - 10 months in AL Simmons Bilt

Plumbline

One Too Many
Just thought you guys might like to see how it's aging ... this jacket got SLATED on here when it was launched ( unfairly IMHO ) and as soon as I saw this one appear on the AL Outlet page I snapped it up for £350 as a tester for buttons. Those who have seen my previous post will know I'm not a big fan but my thinking was that with some breaking in work and softening ... it might just work.

I am happy to report that continually opening and closing the buttons softens up the leather and they now operate very easilly ... in addition the Horween Burgundy Steer has sofened remarkably and the grain has just popped on it ... it's amazing leather. It was as stiff as a board when new ... but now its as soft as a very soft thing and now lies in a crumpled heap when dropped .... it's a broken jacket :D

As with those I have posted before I like my fit as I like it ... slightly relaxed .... so I don't need fiit comments thank you. It's amazingly comfortable and looks better on than off IMHO ..

Last edited:

Mark

Practically Family
Hi Plumbline

Looks very nice, particularly like the colour, would you describe it as Cordovan? Is it steer or horse?how do you like the collar? I really want one but the wife tells me buttons wouldn't suit me! She is usually right. Can't help thinking Aero seem to do it that much better though. However, at £200 + more for the Aero it's food for thought. Can I ask what motivated you to go with Alexander rather than Aero? Was it just the price.

Plumbline

One Too Many
Hi Plumbline

Looks very nice, particularly like the colour, would you describe it as Cordovan? Is it steer or horse?how do you like the collar? I really want one but the wife tells me buttons wouldn't suit me! She is usually right. Can't help thinking Aero seem to do it that much better though. However, at £200 + more for the Aero it's food for thought. Can I ask what motivated you to go with Alexander rather than Aero? Was it just the price.

It's CXL Steer ..... the colour is Burgundy ( very close to Cordovan ) and it has weathered very well ..... price and availabillity were the deciders .. it was imediately available and at a GREAT price :D

One more pic to show hiow soft the Horween CXL steer has become :D

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The buttons on my FQHH teamster were fine from day 1, although I did get the football buttons, not sure if that makes a difference to ease of use?

This isn't my style of jacket but you wear it well PL and the leather and colour look amazing! I had pretty much talked myself out of my next jacket being cordovan or burgundy but this may have changed my mind back.

Would you say these photos represent the colour accurately?

Plumbline

One Too Many
The photo of the lining probably is the closest to the actual colour of the leather in normal light .... It's a nice dark Burgundy ( much darker than the vintage Warhawk which has more brown in it ) .... it's very close to Aero's Cordovan and seems to be getting darker with age .. HTH

schitzo

Suspended
Man I hate this guy!!!

Only joking PL, I do of course appreciate your contributions.

What I urgently need to know is, did it bleed? And if so, how much, and did it ever stop?

Best wishes
Schitz

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
That AL stuff is really growing on me....that is another superb jacket from your collection PL. well done mate...

Plumbline

One Too Many
Didn't bleed ( not even a little bit) and is darkening raher than lightening with age .... which was unexpected ...

samo

One of the Regulars
The last picture really illustrate how the break-in jacket should look like. The burgundy also seems quite appealing! Thanks. :D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points