Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Source of James Spader's hats {The Blacklist}

RBH

Bartender
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/james-spader-the-strangest-man-on-tv-20140421

''...Spader wears a Reddington-esque forest-green felt fedora that matches his forest-green scarf, which matches the lenses of his sunglasses. "It's a fine hat, it's not a great hat," Spader corrects me when I note the similarity. "Red wears finer hats than that. It's an everyday hat for me. I've got a lot of hats." (In fact, between his summer straw and winter collections, divided between New York and his home in Los Angeles, he reckons he owns around 30.)...''

T Rick

Practically Family
I have 40. I win :)
I believe we've got Members here with many times that number (I also am somewhere around 40 hats I think).

Either way, The Black List is a great show, my favorite of the year. Now I just need to catch up on the last 7 or 8 episodes, after I gave up while on the road working 6/12s. No DVR with me, and streaming internet was spotty at times.

carldelo

One Too Many
Andy, I'd like to get one of these hats but I'm far from NYC. What info would I need to id the hat elsewhere?

You should look into Bencraft - they're in NYC but are the largest Borsalino dealer in the US, I believe. They could probably tell you over the phone which hat you're looking for - I'd wager you won't be the first one asking for it. They're fine to order from, but it's a nice excuse for a trip to NYC - Peter Luger's is on the next block if you like steak. I just did a quick look, and the Bellagio looks pretty close:

http://www.bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=1042&subcname=Borsalino
BorsalinoBellagio_Blk.jpg

RayR

One of the Regulars
Name that Fedora

I am trying to figure out what Fedora is being worn in the photos of James Spader as character Red Reddington in the TV show The Blacklist.

Do you recognize it? It seems to be a Dark brown with a hint of green Trilby style. But who's the maker? What's it called? Who sells it?

Fedora.jpg

fedora2.jpg

RayR

One of the Regulars
Hats Plus believes it's a Borsolino Bellagio. I don't think Reddington's looks like a 2 3/8" brim, though.

However, this article claims he wears Biltmores. He's shown in one episode purchasing hats from JJ Hat Center in NY (although it's in DC in the show). Maybe we could ask them.

Indeed. It also looks a lot like the Borsalino Francesco which has a smaller brim, but the center dent seems a little wide and the Brown's I've seen online aren't dead on. I put out an email to J.J.'s Sat, so I hope to hear back by Tues (assuming they're closed for the Monday holiday.

View attachment 29914

Red Borsalino.jpg Not the same hat here, but in the last scene of Season 2...loo: at the ribbon:

RayR

One of the Regulars
Having already found and purchased the hat James Spader wore in the pilot of the Blacklist, I'm moving on to a more difficult to match hat.

View attachment 12927

I must apologize, as these are captures from video, none are very sharp. Can anyone ID the maker and/or model hat? I've found similar panamas, but none quite match.

Thanks!

I would love to know which hat (maker/ style) you refer to. I think I am looking for the same thing. The original Pilot hat, that is. Brown Borsalino I believe. Thanks!

RayR

One of the Regulars
I just got off the phone with J J Hat Center. In fact, the person I spoke with claims to be the one responsible to issue out the hats used on The Blacklist. He says the Hat in question here is the Borsalino Fortissima, which is the high-end beaver version of the Anello in rabbit. I can't find one for sale and only came across this old post on pinterest:

Fortissima Borsalino.jpg

fedora2.jpg

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The Fortissima is the 2 inch version of the Beaver Borsalino hat. JJ does supply Mr Spader with these hats. We did have the designer for the show pop by our store a short time ago . We gave her a hat for Mr Spader and we will see what happens.

Cheviot

New in Town
I am trying to figure out what Fedora is being worn in the photos of James Spader as character Red Reddington in the TV show The Blacklist.

Do you recognize it? It seems to be a Dark brown with a hint of green Trilby style. But who's the maker? What's it called? Who sells it?

It's the Borsalino Fortisma, limited edition in olive.

fortissimachar_grande.jpg

JJ Hat center had them last year.

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
The hat is available in black, navy vlue, dark gray, dark tan and olive freen which is almost brown. There were some red ones made last year but they all went to Japan.

RayR

One of the Regulars
The hat is available in black, navy vlue, dark gray, dark tan and olive freen which is almost brown. There were some red ones made last year but they all went to Japan.
Available Where? J J's had black, I am looking for Olive 7 1/8. Any one else carry this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points