Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sourcing Hat Blocks

Moviehats

One of the Regulars
Fred Rabb (Fred's Hatblocks) makes great hat blocks if you need a special one. Otherwise I get mine from eBay. Tried to use Home Groan for used blocks, but she never has the ones in the photos it seems.

Thanks guys , I looked at them , the Straight Sided Dome is $38 , I think . Here's Matt's Vid from Monster Bash Thread using it ...

It would work . Plus I put my name in to be messaged by Mark DeCou on Etsy when he gets caught up , for a few Band Blocks in 7 3/8 LO . He was recommended , but Art makes them , too .

I heard if I kept looking a Wood Hat Block would (ha) eventually pop up on eBay .

There are going to be long oval band blocks available as well. This isn't too far out. Maybe 2 months out.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Hey Tim , What size Block do you think I could use to re-block , smooth out Crown Creases < This , Re-Blocking is Totally Different . I wear a 7 3/8 (LO) ? Did I ever get a question put together straight ? What Size Block do you recommend ? If I pop the sweat down would a 7 3/8 work ? And not leave creases ?

Have you bought from Mark DeCou before ? He was recommended to me for Band Blocks .

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
From Hatshapers? They said that might be in the works at some point, but I was given no time frame. Would like one for sure!

Fed

I think Tim's saying he's going to be making band blocks , probably 2 months out , looks that way now . The ones I've seen are made out of Poplar , the most stable hard wood commonly available . Doesn't warp or crack . (The Tulip Poplar is the TN State Tree)

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
I think Tim's saying he's going to be making band blocks , probably 2 months out , looks that way now . The ones I've seen are made out of Poplar , the most stable hard wood commonly available . Doesn't warp or crack . (The Tulip Poplar is the TN State Tree)
Michael is correct, for wood blocks you want Poplar for the reasons he mentioned. Luckily for us Poplar is also cheap, would have been $$$ if these were Oak or Walnut. Luckily I belong to a woodworking club out here and I get some good pricing on Poplar for my needs.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Anyone used www.hatterssupplyhouse.com? Looks interesting with #52, 51 and 81 blocks. Is this the one you were referring to @cane-rod-maker?

I'll add Tim's @Cane Rod Maker so he'll see your question . I think I know the answer to mine from 7/18/16 , but he might add more . Hmm Loveland , I've been there several times . Looks like a good place to get needed items including ribbon , and 2 and 3 ply Hat Bands , Sweatband Bows , etc. . Plus the tools , Blocks , Band Blocks , and Flanges . Good that they're adding more options as they go on . I'm thankful they offer LO on everything .

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Hey Tim , What size Block do you think I could use to re-block , smooth out Crown Creases < This , Re-Blocking is Totally Different . I wear a 7 3/8 (LO) ? Did I ever get a question put together straight ? What Size Block do you recommend ? If I pop the sweat down would a 7 3/8 work ? And not leave creases ?

Have you bought from Mark DeCou before ? He was recommended to me for Band Blocks .
Per Art Fawcett, you want to get a hat block that's a 1/4 inch larger than the circumference of your head measurement. If you measure out at 23 inches, then you want a block at 23 1/4 inches. Don't pay attention to the size stamped on the block. It's the width of the circumference you want to go by. I found that to be true, (that's if you're taking out the sweat).

Last edited:

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
Per Art Fawcett, you want to get a hat block that's a 1/4 inch larger than the circumference of your head measurement. If you measure out at 23 inches, then you want a block at 23 1/4 inches. Don't pay attention to the size stamped on the block. It's the width of the circumference you want to go by. I found that to be true, (that's if you're taking out the sweat).

I don't know if you have modern or vintage blocks but in your experience, does this apply even in the modern cut blocks, meaning that the current makers have not adapted / taken the sweat into account? This is more of a "double check my understanding" question as I am sure you / Art are right but...

I am a 7 1/8 (actually between a 7 - 7 1/8 US) so should I go for a 7 1/4 modern block then if without sweat and 7 1/8 if reblocking existing hat with sweat?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I don't know if you have modern or vintage blocks but in your experience, does this apply even in the modern cut blocks, meaning that the current makers have not adapted / taken the sweat into account? This is more of a "double check my understanding" question as I am sure you / Art are right but...

I am a 7 1/8 (actually between a 7 - 7 1/8 US) so should I go for a 7 1/4 modern block then if without sweat and 7 1/8 if reblocking existing hat with sweat?
If you're going to get a block, buy one that's a 1/4 inch larger than the measurement of your head circumference. The extra 1/4 inch makes up for the sweat. I measure out at 22 3/4, so I use a 23 inch block to reblock my hats. Just go by the circumference, 1/4 inch larger than your head measurement.

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
If you're going to get a block, buy one that's a 1/4 inch larger than the measurement of your head circumference. The extra 1/4 inch makes up for the sweat. I measure out at 22 3/4, so I use a 23 inch block to reblock my hats. Just go by the circumference, 1/4 inch larger than your head measurement.

Thanks for the confirmation, thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

You're welcome, buddy. It was Art Fawcett who originally passed along that information. I took his information and and used it on a couple of conversions. I'm close to finishing another one at this moment. I know from having tried it, Art's information is correct.

Last edited:

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab

What Art was saying doesn't mean your correct size Block isn't 1/4" larger , Blocks may or may not be 1/4" larger to accommodate the sweat , you should just ask them to measure . What I was thinking about was the size Block to use to smooth out creases , so I think I need a Block one or two sizes smaller , but a 7 1/4 would probably do it . I know a Garve' Hat Stretcher or something similar would be a better choice for what I need . Plus I would like a Block for Westerns , more domed and taller 6 1/2-7" , fuller , also . I think Art said something about that , but I'd have to look back . I think the # ended in a 9 as I recall , but I would recognize one I believe when I saw it . Thanks , and Thanks @T Jones TJ .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk