Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sou'west Chunkies Sweaters

Mark

Practically Family
They do a softer wool as well as the rougher/scratchy wool. Prices have gone up a tad since I last ordered one but still good value and lovely and warm too.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I've bought a few sweaters from Peter. Great guy! He actually made me a turtleneck (not sure if there is a UK term for that) out of a great faded denim colored wool.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I should add that Peter went out of his way to find me a colour that hit the sweet spot, so I am now anticipating a fisherman's jumper in a dark wine mixed colour. I'll post pics when it arrives.
What's the best way to get in touch with him and how would you go about paying him? I've been thinking about those sweaters for some time, but it looks a little confusing. Any advice?

BobJ

Practically Family
I should add that Peter went out of his way to find me a colour that hit the sweet spot, so I am now anticipating a fisherman's jumper in a dark wine mixed colour. I'll post pics when it arrives.

Sounds like the perfect complement to your Cordovan Board Racer! Or any jacket, for that matter. Or all by itself!

Did he say how long it would take?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
What's the best way to get in touch with him and how would you go about paying him? I've been thinking about those sweaters for some time, but it looks a little confusing. Any advice?

This is exactly the case for me. I've held off for ages but wanted to add to my winter jumpers. It's really best to email Peter and then prepare yourself for a barrage of block capital responses. It's worth perhaps following the instructions on the web site and measuring a jumper that fits you before starting your correspondence (it would have cut down mine considerably). Peter's very good at gauging whether or not you've got the proportions right and won' move forward with it until they're nailed down.
Regarding colour, I had originally asked for maroon and grey but they'd run out of maroon. He then suggested fuscia and black (which is nice, but not really a colour I think I could pull off). He then had a rummage through the wool cupboard and came up with this plum/wine mix that was just the ticket.
They really should redo the website to include an order page, instead of relying on a chain of emails at the end of which I had to say 'so, are we good to go forward?', before we finalised the jumper. As far as waiting time goes, it should be here later next month, though Christmas might see that pushed into January.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Jumper arrived today. Beautiful job: fit is spot on, quality is top notch.
43e97ee4a23dbdc58a613c515e1086bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobJ

Practically Family
Oh my gosh, that IS a nice color - rich, royal, and warm!

How does the wool feel against your skin? How does it compare, in that regard, with your Harris Tweed jumper?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's not lamb's wool soft, but it's wearable with just a t-shirt under it. I would say it's pretty much on a par with the Harris tweed and will soften up nicely. The colour's magnificent: it's a mix wool, not something you can see in the pic, but there are reds, blues and purples in there.
Interestingly, it's very warm but the knit isn't incredibly tight - you can tell what colour of t-shirt I'm wearing under it - so I should be able to throw a jacket over it without overheating.
I've got to give it to them, Peter and co managed to nail the fit on the basis of some rather shonky measurements from me - I had them slim the jumper down and they got it just right.

dubpynchon

One Too Many
Jumper arrived today. Beautiful job: fit is spot on, quality is top notch.
43e97ee4a23dbdc58a613c515e1086bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lovely sweater, I may have to buy one like it, and by like it I mean that exact sweater ;). I got wallpaper paste on one I like (thought I could get away with it for one strip) so this would count as a replacement rather than a new purchase.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Very kind of you, gents. Road tested it today - up at 5.30am and pulled it on with my Irvin. Total overkill! Was sitting down in the drafty old foyer of my office having a coffee after the show and I was suffocating. One or the other, but not both. Ideal for sticking under an Aero with a cotton or light wool lining.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider