Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Shoes

Kilgour Trout

One of the Regulars
9 1/2 EEE

Hey Dave: After talking to the good folks at the Zoot suit store, they said these shoes only come in D's, but said that going up a 1/2 size would give the needed width. I'm also a 9.5 EE or EEE. I'll be interested in the comfort and fit when they arrive. I'll let you know how they go.

Warm Regards
Kilgour Trout

Max52

New in Town
l have three pairs of the Edward Green Malvern 3 spectators. l don't know how to post pictures. Sorry. Nice specs M.D:) l do prefer clogs. A varnished wood grain clog is very nice.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I bumped this thread because the Botany 500s that Sharpetoys mentioned are on sale for $24.99 right now. Interestingly, I couldn't find them browsing through their website, but I had bookmarked these, and they come up at this price.

http://www.blair.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?pcats=87768,87780,87802&categoryId=87802&catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=15834&langId=-1

As cheap as they are, I can still only afford one pair, so I think I'll go with the black cap toes. I have two suits that I could wear the black with, and two that I could wear the brown, but I'd rather have the brown in a true wingtip, not their tassel and kiltie version.

Brad Bowers

Yeah, that is what I got from my local cobbler. He looked at the shoes several times and said "These are nice shoes." :D So I figured they must be nice shoes. LOL
He sent me down to a shoe supply place just down the street from where I work. Never knew the place existed before. He actually wanted me to get some white buck dust. Comes in sort of a bag that you dab on the buck and whiten it up. The darn place was out so I settled for the eraser and the brush. It worked fine but I think I could get them whiter with the powder.
I will just have to look harder or have it ordered in for me. Anyone else use the powder for their bucks or spectators?

Regards to all,

J

P.S. I also had the guy resole a pair of Edmonds that needed a new life. I will let you know how it turns out.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'm not sure, but my new Allen Edmonds chestnut and white Broadstreets will be here tomorrow!

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
The great merged "Spectator Shoe" thread that shall rule them all!

I was in Charleston, SC this past week on business, and stopped in an old men's store on King Street when I saw these sitting in the shop window.

112_1227-vi.jpg

I went inside, and inquired about what kind of shoes they were. The salesman informed me that they were a pair of Alden's made in Chestnut and Nubuck (a suede-like finish). Apparently they are not a shoe that Alden regularly produces, but the store orders a couple dozen pairs each spring, as they have been doing for the past 70 or so years. The cost is only $345.

If any of you guys are seriously (and I mean seriously) interested in getting a pair, PM me, and I will try to help you out.

For a comparison, here is the pair of custom Allen Edmonds that I recently had made for $385. In my opinion, the Aldens are better made, and cheaper to boot. However, the Allen Edmonds aren't a slouch by any stretch, and are a little bit flashier looking.
specs5-vi.jpg

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
I had a chance to get a pair of brown and white Alden specs at a car show for $35, but I was there for parts for my junked 1936 and couldn't swing it. What was I thinking? THE CAR IS STILL A BUCKET OF BOLTS!!!! haha

Allen Edmonds has a standard black and white in their catalogue as a regular item for $245

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
I think those allen edmonds you mention are what Nathan here had customized in the brown, which is why it cost more. I frankly can't decide which I like more, the aldens or the allen edmonds :confused: Well, I can't afford either one, so I don't really havetoo much to worry about LOL

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
Not Aldens...

Well, all the talk about spectator shoes got me thinking. Interestingly enough, I didn't set out to purchase a pair. I was shopping at a Johnston & Murphy store for someone else and found these.

spectator_shoes.jpg

The "white" part is made of a canvas-type material. They are a discontinued model no longer offered by J&M. They were in my size and comfortable to wear and on sale! I grabbed them and didn't look back. The next day, I checked with my local cobbler and he said he could work on them if need be.

I think it's funny how you can find some of your best summer deals while Christmas shopping.

On a side note, I was watching Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire and noticed that they wore their "Specs" to Easter Service.

Pyro.

thegmanifesto

New in Town
The great merged "looking for spectators shoes" thread that shall rule them all!

Whats your take on spectator shoes? When is the best time to wear them? Anyone have any recommendations on where to get them or photos?

MPM

The Guide to Getting More out of Life
http://www.thegmanifesto.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider