Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Spectator Shoes

Isshinryu101

One Too Many
Because nothing screams "elegance" like canvas!

As a vintage clothing dealer with 15 years experience, 'workwear' style is the only thing keeping the vintage/repop market afloat, it is interest in everything else that has narrowed.

If you want to complain about a dressy SJC shoe than have at their balmorals.

No one is complaining about their style selection, just making a point. It is narrow in the sense that only one with a love for vintage workwear would have interest. With 15+ years experience in modern, as well as vintage footwear I was disappointed because not a single non-vintage client of mine was interested after seeing the last and shape. Plenty had interest in trying out some tarsal strap specs, though. The workwear styling turned them off totally... they all wanted something more elegant. A squandered opportunity to get new people interested in vintage styled footwear.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I have been enjoying wearing my vtg. Bostonians. I have had protective rubber soles put on the fronts, new heels (old ones starting chipping off in chunks), treated them with a clear creme and color matched to the old color the edges. Spiffy spectators to wear.

Shown below with a vtg. Adam Executive in silver belly.

i-4bQ5mc5-XL.jpg

Best, Eric -

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I have been enjoying wearing my vtg. Bostonians. I have had protective rubber soles put on the fronts, new heels (old ones starting chipping off in chunks), treated them with a clear creme and color matched to the old color the edges. Spiffy spectators to wear.

i-4bQ5mc5-XL.jpg

Best, Eric -
Those are great looking, I can tell you have some nice shine on them, too! The color combo is really well done by you!

Isshinryu101

One Too Many

i-4bQ5mc5-XL.jpg

Best, Eric -

You have the ULTIMATE vintage shoe size! I almost never see shoes of that style that fit me!

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
You have the ULTIMATE vintage shoe size! I almost never see shoes of that style that fit me!
Thanks sir. It was pics of your shoes that started me down this path several years ago.

I wear this pair at least once a week. I did have new heels and bottom protectors put on. Those additions protect them from my "modern wear." The shoes fit well and are surprising light and comfy. Well designed and executed for not a top of the line model at the time. Indescribable feeling when we are wearing a quality shoe that really fits well. Styl'n in comfort.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I recently picked these up. I can't locate a maker. They look and feel minimally worn. Size 12! It has a Boot & Shoes Worker's Union stamp. Factory 130

I imagine that you can hear my applause for your new Spectators from my Minnesota residence this evening! Cheers! They are magnificent shoes sir.

Wear them proudly as they are a truly gorgeous wearable pair of shoes.

Best, Eric -

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I recently picked these up. I can't locate a maker. They look and feel minimally worn. Size 12! It has a Boot & Shoes Worker's Union stamp. Factory 130

We have a pair of shoes here with that same Union Factory Stamp. I will find them and let you know where the shoes are from.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Eric, that is one beautiful pair of spectators, so well cared for. And gamez32, what a great find those shoes of yours are too. Compliments to both of you. I am ashamed to say, I should put more effort into keeping mine as well as yours. There's no excuse really, not when you have one of these.
We should run a thread in parallel with What Hat Are You Wearing. Which Shoes Are You Wearing.
shoes 007.jpg shoes 008.jpg shoes 009.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The only problem with blue spectators is matching and contrast. Wearing them with any shade of brown, from light sandy beige right through the brown spectrum to chocolate brown, blue shoes just look, at best, out of place. The answer:
shoes 13.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
The only problem with blue spectators is matching and contrast. Wearing them with any shade of brown, from light sandy beige right through the brown spectrum to chocolate brown, blue shoes just look, at best, out of place. The answer:

The blue spectators are sweet. I say make more occasions to wear them.

i-8NBKbqM-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

Edit: Edward Meir spectators (blue and creme)

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Seen today on the: "What Hat?" thread, one of my pairs of Gibsons shoes. They became very popular in the early fifties, perhaps even the late forties, I really should check before posting. Their popularity waned when the famous, or should it be, infamous, Creepers came in? I still have my one and only pair of creepers. 'Hangs head.'
shoes 16.jpg

You can see from the cracked leather that I've had these for decades. They usually have shoe trees keeping their shape, but I just slipped them off, and retied the laces, so that you can see them close up.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
That would be great. Thanks.
Two pair of NOS Weyenberg and one pair of NOS Roblee shoes have that 130 factory stamped into the inside foot bed of the shoes. Now what happens in the shoe industry, one name brand shoe would get more orders then what they could meet, so they would "farm it out" to another approved union shop. I think the Weyenberg shoes were mostly made in Brockton, Mass. and there is a good chance those spectators are Weyenberg. But Roblee also made some spectator shoes that were the mesh and leather like yours. Cookie picked up a pair of Roblee shoes a while back on eBay, we had actually been bidding on the same shoe (I was not aware he was bidding while I was) and I think the shoes sold for a fairly hefty price, I stopped bidding when it was close to $300.00 I think?

gamez32

One of the Regulars
Two pair of NOS Weyenberg and one pair of NOS Roblee shoes have that 130 factory stamped into the inside foot bed of the shoes. Now what happens in the shoe industry, one name brand shoe would get more orders then what they could meet, so they would "farm it out" to another approved union shop. I think the Weyenberg shoes were mostly made in Brockton, Mass. and there is a good chance those spectators are Weyenberg. But Roblee also made some spectator shoes that were the mesh and leather like yours. Cookie picked up a pair of Roblee shoes a while back on eBay, we had actually been bidding on the same shoe (I was not aware he was bidding while I was) and I think the shoes sold for a fairly hefty price, I stopped bidding when it was close to $300.00 I think?

That's great information. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ