Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sport coat and jeans??

Sport coat with jeans

• Looks good.

Votes: 34 63.0%
  • Tacky

Votes: 20 37.0%

• Total voters

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Ok, here are my 3 options if I wear the coat.

Grey shirt
2010-08-21211617.jpg

White shirt
1_Unknown.jpg

Blue shirt
2_Unknown.jpg

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Honda Enoch said:
*sigh* I guess I will just dress how I always do, better to dress in something she has seen and likes, then to risk looking like a dork.

Dress like YOU. If she likes YOU, thats best. Don't be uncomfortable or phoney.
IMHO, I think a sportscoat and jeans can be nice.

White shirt.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Honey Bee said:
Dress like YOU. If she likes YOU, thats best. Don't be uncomfortable or phoney.
IMHO, I think a sportscoat and jeans can be nice.

White shirt.

That's the thing. I like to dress nice. but never have the opportunity. :)

I just sent her a pic and she said I look "HOT" (her words) in the gray shirt. :D

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
I hate to be a negative Ned...

...but you guys realize that wearing a sports coat with jeans it the ANTITHESIS of classic style right? To think otherwise is to buy hook, line, and sinker, into current notions of trendiness. Certain people wear the combo well, yes, but unless you're a Prussian aristocrat, with the body of an ex-male ballet dancer, and you're wearing designer jeans with a made to measure blazer, this look is going to look tacky.

He's not a "Golden Era" civilian re-enactor. [huh] What I mean is: he's going on a date. If this is what the girl is expecting, this is what he's gotta give her. Since he owns trousers de Nime, I suspect he's dressed like this before and will feel "comfortable" in these clothes, and won't have to "be" someone else.

[edit] And since she's already saying he's hot in this combo, I'd say he's onto a winner, date-wise. (This, to my mind, trumps "classic" in this limited situation.)[/edit]

bk

Torpedo

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
He's not a "Golden Era" civilian re-enactor. [huh] What I mean is: he's going on a date.

bk

This is what I understood, too. Of course that look is not Golden Era-vintage correct, but that was not what the discussion was about.[huh]

theinterchange

One Too Many
I just realized I voted yet didn't comment...

I put my vote for "Looks Good" because I personally think it does, so long as the wearer isn't wearing what obviously looks like a suit jacket. In the past I've often worn a blazer with jeans and gotten many compliments.

I don't go in for the indie rocker "my jacket's two sizes too small" look, but a well fitting jacket matched with a nice pair of jeans and color appropriate shoes.

No offense guys, but sometimes folks can get a bit too "Golden Era Nazi". There are folks who can with ease pull off and look good in a full on Golden Era look while others [like myself] prefer to blend old with new. Like I said, no offense, I do realize that look and era are what we're here for, but we live in a modern world and that being the case, I personally feel that there are times when a modern or modern/vintage blend approach is best.

Randy

P.S Again, no offense to anyone, I'm all for folks wearing what they like. ;) But sometimes folks carry things too far in imposing their "fashion rules to live by" on others.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
1961MJS said:
I'd NEVER wear a sport coat with a polo shirt. The whole concept gags me for some strange reason.

Don't ever see IN A LONELY PLACE, then, because you'll be gagging throughout. Bogart wears that very combo quite often in that movie, often with the shirt buttoned to the top.

I swore off polo shirts not long after graduating college, but Bogart almost made me reconsider. Almost, but not quite.

bogartpolo.jpg

On the topic at hand, I don't wear jeans much any more, but I used to wear decent-looking jeans, a vintage sport shirt and a sport coat quite often. It's the fashion of today, as someone pointed out; you didn't ask what a young man in the 1930s or '40s would wear (though many of us do default to that context for virtually all questions).

I would also raise the point that sportscoats were the casual wear of the Golden Era (as even the name suggests), so to mix them with the casual trousers of today, as long those trousers are in presentable condition, doesn't strike me as as problematic.

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
Vintage lover said:
True. But I would wear a belt if I were you.

yes just bout 2 belts today. one black and one brown. The shoes are brown so I'll prob wear the brown belt.

Tiller

Practically Family
I tried it once and hated the look on me. I felt like a used car salesman trying to connect with the local "rural" community. That said you seem to enjoy it, and the woman your going on a date with seems to like it so go for it. ;)

Generally I'd advise against it, but it's all about what your comfortable with.

Blaxican26

New in Town
I wore a similar ensemble on a date. Navy sport coat, sky blue dress shirt (tucked in), FITTED JEANS (this adds class to your look yet keeps it laid back), and the kicker is dark brown or cordovan ankle boots w/ matching belt. You'll get much love from not only your date but other women that walk by....just watch.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Over Kill Alert

Hi

I'm beginning to get concerned that the lady involved in this endeavor can't possibly spend this much time worrying about what she's wearing. Granted, Honda only started this, and we (I posted one too) and we piled on, but jeez, we're guys, we aren't supposed to act like this except over cars, guns, and hats.

lol

later

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko