Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stand up pin-curls and flat pin-curls?

lovegeneva

New in Town
How is the finished look different for each of these?

Is it that stand up curls are wavy, and flat curls aren't?

Yesterday, when I did two stand up curls at the crown of my head, they were wavy, but the other flat ones weren't.

(when I say stand up curls, I mean like this:
christina_aguilera_pin_curls.jpg
)

Can someone explain to me the different types of pin curls to me and how they finished look will be?

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I don't know how much this will help you, but I wanted to add: I recently tried standing pin curls after many flat pin curl failures and I LOVED the result. This might just be down to my own ineptitude, but whenever I've done flat pin curls, the curls are, well, very flat. When I do standing ones I get more volume and bounce from the roots. In fact I think I get more of a curl with standing ones, and it seems to be much easier to get the ends curled that way. I still don't think it's quite as good as setting hair with rollers, but it's less hassle overall, and I think it dries quicker, as well as leaving my hair softer and shinier.

Have you tried Smuterella's tip of rolling standing pin curls round a mascara tube? Sounds crazy but that's what did it for me! I even think I get fewer hook ends than I do using normal rollers!

Last edited:

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I don't know a whole lot about it, but I have heard from various sources that you're exactly right, the stand-up ones do give you more volume.
And a tip for the hook ends is use end papers! It virtually eliminates them, and makes everything way easier as you won't be dropping any strands, and it gives you a little grip too.

Miss Scarlet

One of the Regulars
The stand up pin curls are also known as barrel curls and as Penny and Frenchy said, they generally add more volume and personally I find them easier to do and easier to mould into a hairdo that I like. With flat pincurls you can curl them towards your face or away from your face, which affects the type of wave you'll get, whereas the barrel curls can only be curled under. From my personal experimentation I find barrel curls are good for 50s looks and flat curls are better for 30s/40s looks.

Kiri

One of the Regulars
From my personal experimentation I find barrel curls are good for 50s looks and flat curls are better for 30s/40s looks.

That's interesting Miss Scarlet, I'll have to try it out. :) So far I've just been doing flat pin curls with one barrel curl in front where I need more body. I never thought of doing them all over. Don't they get squished when you tie a scarf over top?

BoPeep

Practically Family
So far I've just been doing flat pin curls with one barrel curl in front where I need more body. I never thought of doing them all over.

This is what I do too. Barrel curls around my face and flat everywhere else (better for sleeping). I don't think a scarf would flatten them too much.

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
Check this blog out:

http://beautyisathingofthepast.blog...hingOfThePast+(Beauty+is+a+thing+of+the+past)

That is the most descriptive I've ever seen when it comes to pin curls, and this from a vintage source.

That's great! Had me stumped though :D I'm probably not doing it right but I seem to be getting an okay result. I've actually not used rollers for the past three or four sets, for some reason the standing pincurls seem so much less hassle. I like being able to just unclip them in the morning, as opposed to unwinding, tugging and wiggling squashed sponge rollers out of tangly hair (not that pincurl clips don't get tangled- just less so than rollers, it would seem :D)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk