Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Star Sportswear 7823E G1 Bomber

mikejungle

New in Town
Just wondering...is there any way to tell whether this thing is made of goatskin or cow leather?

It seems to be dated 1972.

I have another Star 7823D, which i'm not sure is goatskin either, but the 7823 has a lot more pebbling, and is a bit stiffer to feel. To be fair, the 7823E seems to have seen a bit more use than the D.

Any ideas here?

Also, secondary question, but why does the surface of the leather feel like plastic? I feel like it's impermeable to Lexol, and I haven't tried Neatsfoot oil yet, but i'm going to try that next to get rid of the squeakiness. I don't like the idea of putting talc powder and tumbling it like one other thread suggested...

Tertiary question, but i'm pretty sure both have synthetic fur collars, right?

Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mikejungle,
Both of your Star G-1s are goatskin. I don't believe that cowhide was used until the mid 1970s and by then Star was no longer making them. I know what you mean about the plasticky feeling. I too have a 1972 Star and it is a pretty stiff and uniform hide. My 1969 D series jacket has much nicer goatskin, it is thick and soft and actually shows some grain and wear.
I recommend trying Pecards on both of your jackets. I find that a little Pecards goes a long way towards eliminating the squeaking and creaking, at least for a while.
The collar on your E series jacket is definitely synthetic. The D series jacket should be real mouton but if it looks and feels as fake as the E series jacket then maybe it is. I believe they started using the synthetic Dynal collars on the last of the D jackets as they were transitioning to the E series.
Hope this helps. Post some pictures when you get a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112