Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stars And Their Cars

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Joan Crawford...1938 Lincoln model K
JoanCrawford38LincolnModelK.jpg

This is actually a '34 Ford with some kind of aftermarket wheel. The '38 Lincoln Model K is a far more streamlined car with pontoon fenders.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Here is the rarest Cobra in the world. It belongs to legendary jazz musician Herbie Hancock, which he has owned since new. With the passing of Carroll Shelby this is now the oldest one owner Cobra in the world. What's even more amazing, he only bought it through a series of events. His then room mate Donald Byrd told him about a car that was beating Ferrari's, so he went down to the Ford dealer to take a look, he had no desire to buy one. When he got there, the salesman did not even look up at him. Herbie said, "I'm getting a little hot under the collar," he says. "And I said, 'I'd like to buy the Cobra.' He finally looks up. He says, 'Do you know how much that car costs?" He told the salesman, he would be back the next day with cash! He says, that guy did him a real favor, because he loves his car. He almost sold it for $10,000 in the 80s, but decided not to. His car is very rare, 260ci with a two barrel carb, the winged Shelby AC Cobra badge on the nose, and an AC badge on the trunk.
H-hancock_zpsmdslzmui.jpg

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Charles Montgomery "Monty" Burns' 1935 Stutz Bearcat. Unknown gas station attendant checks the oil.

D3.jpg

Just kidding, that's Clark Gable and his 1935 Duesenberg.

Last edited:

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
Hal Roach and his stars in a Kissel Gold Bug sports car. Notice the rumble seat that slides out of the side of the car like a drawer, with footrest on the running board. What a place to sit at 80 miles an hour!

post-58797-143138297638.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I love the "Coffin Nosed" Cord, there were a lot of kit cars around a few years back, based on the Cord body shape
AMT had a model kit in 1/12 scale. That was big (though not as big as Monogram's 1/8 scale Jaguar E-Type 2 + 2!). (Wait, did you mean "kit cars" as in "You provide a chassis, we provide the body and other bits"?)

Seems to me I have a classic car magazine, the "Motor Trend Classic" from a few years ago, with pics of Clark Gable and his Mercedes 300SL Gullwing. I'll look and see.

ETA, 3/10: I do. This was the car he had from 1955 until his death just after the filming of The Misfits in 1960:

Gable_300SL_crop.jpg

And as a treat, Gable, director John Huston, and a lady some of you will recognize:

Gable_Huston_MM.jpg

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Phonograph record star Billy Murray behind the wheel of his 1920 Buick sedan:

locmurray-driving.jpg

Mabel Normand was not at all partisan. Her Mercer:

04 1916 Mercer Mabel.jpg

which she replaced with a Stutz:

e1aca3c31b0890ab01fc203ebd0c0c00.jpg

The "Lone Eagle's" Franklin 11B:

2728397095_ed654669a9_b.jpg

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Garry Cooper with his Duesenberg J. Wm. Powell on the running board.

878c113d11a4e7a786464cd45f2c43c3.jpg

Phonograph record star Ada Jones cranking her Flivver:

Jones, Ada crank starting her Model T Ford, 1919.JPG

Anna Case, Metropolitan Opera Soprano, with her 1930 Packard convertible Coupe:

EB01e702.jpg

Enrico Caruso and entourage in his first machine, a 1909 Rambler:

Enrico_Caruso_seated_in_automobile_with_4_other_men.png

International Opera star Nellie Melba's '09 Renault Tourer (same model as driven by her friend the composer Giaccomo Puccini):

renaultgreysml_cpr.jpg

The above Renault still exists. This 1911 Rolls-Royce Landaulet was another of Dame Nellie's many automobiles:

articleLeadwide-1okco-ImageCut-10-750x422.jpg

She also appreciated fine American iron, as her 1910 Pierce-Arrow (one of several) suggests:

articleLeadwide-1okcr-ImageCut-3-750x422.jpg

niv

Familiar Face
Clark Gable with his Packard

optimized-clark-gable-and-his-1932-packard-car.jpg

Al Jolson with his Mercedes

jolson-car_opt.jpg

Marlene Dietrich with her Cadillac

optimized-marlene-dietrich-and-car.jpg

Jean Harlow with her Cadillac

harlow-car-2_opt.jpg

William Powell admires Gary Cooper's Duesy

powell-cooper-car_opt-1.jpg
For reasons I've never quite understood, my family's business in Corpus Christi, Texas, stored Clark Gable's Packard for the duration of the war. A mechanic drove it up and into the warehouse, where he began the tedious process of "making it ready for storage." Lanolin balm for the leather seats, moth balls spread over the wool carpet, Vaseline for the chrome, and he did something to the clutch plate to make it not freeze up involving a 2×4 he custom cut there. The mechanic drew up a list of everything he'd done to the Packard which he put in the glove box, made a copy to take with him, and left. About three months before the war ended in Europe, he came back, undid everything he'd done (including replacing the tires somehow (they were still rationed, remember), settled the bill, and drove it off. My Dad made a copy of the list (which I saw when I was little; I'd give much to know what happened to it), and remember the lst item on the list: "Don't lose this list!

basbol13

A-List Customer
Garry Cooper with his Duesenberg J. Wm. Powell on the running board.

View attachment 69467

Phonograph record star Ada Jones cranking her Flivver:

View attachment 69468

Anna Case, Metropolitan Opera Soprano, with her 1930 Packard convertible Coupe:

View attachment 69469

Enrico Caruso and entourage in his first machine, a 1909 Rambler:

View attachment 69470

International Opera star Nellie Melba's '09 Renault Tourer (same model as driven by her friend the composer Giaccomo Puccini):

View attachment 69471

The above Renault still exists. This 1911 Rolls-Royce Landaulet was another of Dame Nellie's many automobiles:

View attachment 69473

She also appreciated fine American iron, as her 1910 Pierce-Arrow (one of several) suggests:

View attachment 69474
Gary Coopers "2 of a Kind" SSJ in the background and Clark Gable's other "2 of a Kind" SSJ in the foreground

55ef58bb5453354e2eba0b4bb473abcf.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider