Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stauer watch company any good words about them?

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
On the back of Aviation History ( oh no a magazine selling watches, I just answered my own question), Stauer advertises their watches. They have a great vintage look, that appeals to me. I am wondering if the cost of 99-149 is over priced and are worth only 30.00 or if their watches truely are worth cost.
Has anyone ever purchased a Stauer watch?
John

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Stauer seems to be one of the countless made-up brands coming from China. They may be tempting because of what you seem to get for the price, but I wouldn´t recommend buying one if you want to wear it for a longer time. Build quality isn´t up to par and no regular watchmaker will repair such a watch when it´s broken. After all, who want´s to pay a repair charge of maybe $70/hour when the watch is only $149? I don´t say that chinese products are bad in general - quite the opposite, but I wouln´t buy a mechanical watch that nobody will repair in a few years time (if it lasts that long at all). The mechanical watch is the most complicated little machine we have and even buying the cheapest japanese, swiss or german watch is safer than those chinese wannabe´s.

As your Stauer is a present I would recommend wearing it and enjoying it as long as it lasts.

These are of course just my two cents, YMMV.

Frank

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Frank,
Thank you for the input. This was my feeling, just wanted to check in to see if anyone had any real world experiance with them. They will be a pass....
BTW hope to be stopping in Germany for a short time this summer, then to Rome....Space available of course, courtesy of the USAF....
John

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
You´re welcome John! I had the opportunity to own and handle similar watches which were made by Sea Gull, a major chinese watch manufacturer.
I suppose you will visit the southern part of Germany, if the USAF pays for the ticket? ;) If you should make it to Hamburg in the north let me know, I could show you some watches that are made here.

Frank

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd have to agree with Valentine.

These watches are often advertised in the creases of a number of magazines, including Archeology and National Geographic. It's the kind of thing run next to an advert for "Amazing Sapphire Haul Found In The Duke's Crates! They Could Be Yours!".

I wouldn't say they're bogus watches, but you may as well settle for a $30 Timex at Wal-Mart. And at least they take a lickin'. [huh]

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
The main problems with these watches are material quality and that your local watchmaker can´t get any spare parts. A lot of customers are mislead by bogus brand names that suggest a german heritage too. :eusa_doh:

Frank

Undertow

The main problems with these watches are material quality and that your local watchmaker can´t get any spare parts. A lot of customers are mislead by bogus brand names that suggest a german heritage too. :eusa_doh:

Frank

Precisely. Same thing with the "Spirit of St. Louis" turntable pictured below.

Hey - I have one, the sound quality is sub-par but it plays all my old 33's and 45's. Although I won mine in a raffle, you can buy yours straight from the ads of these same magazines. Oh, but just try getting a new needle for one! Good luck. You'll get laughed out of your audio store.
G2SM6e81b768-42ab-4744-984a-6690758cf31b-46984.jpg

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
:eeek: An LCD-display and black plastic buttons, surrounded by a brass panel! Ok, at least it plays your old vinyls... :)

Take a look at this, it´s a real Tourbillion (made in China) which a friend bought for a song. NOBODY will / can repair this when it´s defective![huh]

P1010288.jpg

Last edited:

Undertow

Haha, the panel is made to look like brass - but it's some cheap pot metal "brushed" with an "antique" finish. Still, you're right, plays the old vinyls well enough and that's all I need until I can get a proper players someday.

That is a great looking watch!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The replica looking 1930's watch my wife bought for me, as a gift, from Stauer, has always kept perfect time. But it only comes out of it's box to be worn as an accoutrement with a certain suit. That said, my wife, nor I, would ever trade with them again. Once they have your details you are constantly bombarded with emails and post. The emails were easy to block but the amount of junk mail that arrived in the post, almost weekly, took a long time to stop. I simply returned every package with RTS, return to sender, written across my address. Like I said, it took a while but I think that we are finally off their mailing list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points