Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steerhide Aero Highwayman Black, Size 40, Like new condition

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
$550.00 Shipped in USA for FL members!

Here's a catch and release, beautiful jacket in amazing condition. Built out of a Steerhide that Aero does not offer anymore, it is either Connolly, or Heavy Alaskan Steerhide. There is currently a Tag-size "42" that looks identical on Aero's sale page, with even the same lining.

Here is the ebay listing:
Men's Black Aero Highwayman Steerhide Leather Jacket 40/M(Item ID: 152874619191

Description
from the listing:
Like New Steerhide Aero Leathers of Scotland Highwayman Jacket in black with a Donegal Fleck Tweed Lining (wool) with cotton drill lining in the sleeves. There are storm cuffs in the sleeves. Has Single Point Western Yoke on back of jacket. No inside pockets, brass zips and hardware. Has side straps for waist adjustment. From smoke and pet free home, as photos show it has had very little wear and is only partially broken in. Still smells new.

Steerhide may be Connelly, or Heavy Alaskan Steerhide. It does not feel, smell or have the finish of Horween CXL Steerhide.

Tagged a size 40, here are the measurements:

- Pit to Pit – 23.5"

- Shoulders – 18.5"

- Waist - 21.5"

- Sleeve – 24.75" (Straight down)

- Sleeve – 26” (Around the arm)

- Torso Length - 20.75"

- Back – 24.5"

Please compare these measurements to your body size closely, I am not able to offer returns for fit issues.
Pay Pal Only, No International Shipping, thanks for looking!

Now to the good stuff:

IMG_5636.JPG
IMG_5641.JPG
IMG_5629.JPG
IMG_5628.JPG IMG_5634.JPG IMG_5633.JPG IMG_5627.JPG
IMG_5637.JPG

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^ MET - just faintly. It has a very light leather smell, (Compared to Horween Steerhide "Heavy" leather smell) but maybe more conclusive is the "hand" of the leather itself. This is a less waxy, softer and more flexible steerhide that does not get as firm in the very cold temperatures as CXL Steer & Horse tend to. Hope that helps... :)

Reactions: MET

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Sure Dan - this is a little "shorter" jacket overall and hence the need for me to pass it along. Re-measured from the Collar Seam to the end of the material straight down it's: 24.5" From the top of the collar to the bottom end of material straight down is 26". So the collar adds 1.5" to the measurement. Please ask any other questions -- no problem!

willv

New in Town
Can you speak to your height/weight, and how this jacket fit? Measurements seem a bit bigger than I'd like, but I'm in the hunt for my first jacket so I'm only semi-confident in that assessment ha..

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I'm 6'1" and about 195 lbs, size 36 waist jeans and typically 42L or 44L suit jacket. Highwayman jackets run large, however this one is tighter than normal, the sleeves are at least 1.5" too short, torso length is also about 1.5" too short.

willv

New in Town
Hmm I'm a hair under 5'10'', ~190lbs, size 33 waist jeans, a 40 suit jacket traditionally but they are fitting tight these days so 42 is probably more accurate.. The shorter sleeves and torso are appealing, I'm just worried the chest will be a bit too large.

How warm would you say the lining is roughly?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Your dimensions sound like they would work pretty well here. I've not worn it outside, however given the material and it's density, I would say it's a little warmer than a standard Aero Wool tartan (plaid) lining. Feel free to PM if you prefer. Thanks for the questions.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Price Lowered: $500 or best offer!
Needs to find it's new home soon...
Just so it's clear this is a Blue-Label jacket, could not have told other than the label itself.

willv

New in Town
Pretty tempted at that price. One last question if you don't mind.

^^ MET - just faintly. It has a very light leather smell, (Compared to Horween Steerhide "Heavy" leather smell) but maybe more conclusive is the "hand" of the leather itself. This is a less waxy, softer and more flexible steerhide that does not get as firm in the very cold temperatures as CXL Steer & Horse tend to. Hope that helps... :)

Given ^ how thick is the leather and how heavy would you say the jacket is approximately and/or compared to CXL steer (if you have weight even better)?

Thanks! My birthday is coming up so already have my justification for my wife's sake ;)

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Nice!

I would say the weight of the leather/jacket are comparable to CXL Steer, (I own several CXL Steer jackets) however it has little if any of the Stiffness of CXL Steer, especially when in cold temps. I just weighed it again and it just a touch over 5.0 lbs. A nice mid-heavy leather for its' size. Hope that helps, thick by overall, softer than CXL Steer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21