Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

STEP BY STEP NAPTHA BATH

barrowjh

One Too Many
I use Lexol on the sweatband, liberally applied to the back 'rough' side of the leather, before using the gasoline.

Heating the gasoline is explained on pages 41 & 42 of the reprint "Scientific Hat Finishing and Renovating" by Henry L. Ermatinger, 1919. To quote " Place the can in a small boiler or tub containing about two gallons of boiling water, which should be carried away from your heating apparatus before placing the can therein."

In more modern language, a pint jar about 2/3rds full of coleman gas, and a pan for boiling the water. There should be a couple of inches (maybe 1 1/2?) between the glass and the sides of the pan all around, and the top of the pan does not need to exceed the height of the jar. Bring the water to a robust boil, move it off the stove, carry it outside. Place the jar in the pan, ok to set it on the bottom of the pan, loosen the lid so that pressure does not build up, let it heat up for a few minutes. The water only needs to come up about 2/3rds of the way up the top of the jar, don't immerse the jar in water, not necessary. I then pour about half of that jar into a plastic butter tub and lower that carefully past the sweatband and into the top of the crown (hat upside down, of course). Pour it out, lift the hat and let that gas drip through the crown into a tub, tip it a bit and rotate to ensure gas goes up the felt toward the brim.

With the remaining gasoline, pour a little directly onto any signficant spots on the brim, and use the paintbrush to spread the remaining gas lightly around any dry felt (preventing the water circle lines, etc.). Continue to spot treat any nasty spot with the last few spoonfuls, dab the gas on the spot, press an old towel on the spot to try and absorb the stain, whatever.

I always do the gas bath last, because you are also removing spots (water circle lines) you created by using the scout's or other cleaners on a nasty area. From this point forward, any further cleaning of the hat has to be the whole hat because those darned water circle lines will always foil any attempt to spot clean. I have some rubber-type chem gloves to keep the gas off of my hands, and they insulate well enough that I can handle the jar. Doing all of this outside helps disperse away the fumes. Pages 38 - 39 contain Ermatinger's section on 'Gasoline Precautions' - the safety briefing.

There really is no substitute for experience. You will teach yourself how much trauma a felt can handle before you are doing more harm than good. I'm probably already into overkill with my cleaning methods, teach ya to appreciate a full-service hatter, for sure.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A couple of days ago (inspired by Short Balding Guys post in the WHAYWT thread) I gave a recent 4X beaver open road a much needed bath with some Crown camp fuel. I am not sure if enough detail is present in the before and after pics but it made a definite difference. The hat was WELL loved and sweat in. There was lots of dirt stuck to it as well.

Before:

After:

Here is the cleaning fluid right after cleaning:

And after the liquid evaporated:

YUKK
I gave the sweat a nice coat of Pecards and it seems to have come through nicely.
I thought this hat was cool because I got the original box with it and the receipt. It was purchased in 1988.

Landman

One Too Many
Rogera,

Looks like it cleaned up nicely. For some reason the ribbons don't clean up as nicely as the felt. At least that has been my experience. On one of my old Open Roads that I gave a naptha bath I took the ribbon off and bathed the hat again and then put a new ribbon on it. A nice horsehair band looks good on an Open Road too.

Rogera

Roger, well done, looks like much dirt. I wonder, why is the ribbon so stained! It doesn't clean the fabric?

Looks much better.

Rogera,

Looks like it cleaned up nicely. For some reason the ribbons don't clean up as nicely as the felt. At least that has been my experience. On one of my old Open Roads that I gave a naptha bath I took the ribbon off and bathed the hat again and then put a new ribbon on it. A nice horsehair band looks good on an Open Road too.

Nice job! I've had great luck doing this.

Roger; Congrats on the outcome. Lots of detritus came out in the bath. Looks good.

Best, Eric -

Thanks everyone! It was my first bath and I have to tell you I was very skeptical. I just couldn't fathom the thought that a fuel could be used to clean felt even though I own a copy of the "Scientific Methods" book and have read this entire thread. I just knew that the fuel smell would be there forever but there is not even the slightest hint of the process ever being performed. It was fun and won't be the last time.

Manfred and Mike the ribbon was clean but the pigment was terribly discolored from all of the persperation and dirt. It was pretty bad. The entire hat had a greasy feel to it. I was going to pass on it. I left it sitting in the room and was trying to leave it there but it kept calling to me. It needed rescue and heck it was only $12.50. :D

Eric it is very good to see you back and posting again and Manfred I really enjoy your vacation pictures.

Rogera

Eric I remember admiring that post a while back. I gotta get me one of those big tubs for next time I do it.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Roger, I understand. The ribbon is faded and bleached, so it can not be cleaned!
Thanks a lot for the kind words about my vacation pics, I hope I can post some new pics the next days!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
The only thing that said naphtha on it at my hardware store was classified as a paint thinner or remover. I bought a couple quarts and a plastic five gallon scalable bucket. Is this the right stuff?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

RBH

Bartender
Yep... you can also use camp fuel. Camp fuel may be a little less pricey than naphtha.
You can find it at Wal Mart, Target ect.

fuel2.jpg

Coleman-fuel-c.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I have seen English texts refere to "Benzine" - not "Benzene", which is something very different! The naptha, you are looking for, is a heptane - if that helps you. It should smell like Zippo lighter fluid

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
Is there away to refresh the images on page 1, so that they may be viewed. I am unable to see them and while i have a good idea of what took place, confirmation would be great.

I am guessing the hat liner was removed prior to soaking. If I can see the photos it may answer a lot of questions that are coming to mind. :)

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
The gas won't hurt the liner and will freshen it up. Alternately, you could hand clean the liner in woolite or some other light cleaner. Amazing how something as strong as gas/naptha doesn't damage anything, even my paper tags survived intact and still printed. I just throw the whole hat in.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I have posted cleaning hats in the past, but I wanted to share how the cleaning of vtg. felted hats is done at my house.

I share below a vtg. Stetson Stratoliner that stands out as arriving whooped, dirty, stained and creased by being stored in a too small box.

i-d3r4Mvv-M.jpg

i-bZMtLrq-S.jpg
i-489gKFW-S.jpg

i-2zfBKk8-S.jpg

I stored the hat in a garage refrigerator until I had a couple of others that would be cleaned at the same time. The hat went into a Naptha bath. The only thing missing from the pic is the rubber glove that I am wearing. I use a vtg. utility pole piece of glass to weight the hats in the naphtha bath.

i-NBjshnK-M.jpg

The naphtha was very dirty and oily after each hat cleaning. I needed to strain and clean the nap that between hats.

i-dSJRjc4-M.jpg

The hats aired for a few hours and the naphtha evaporated. It leaves no smell and does not damage the leather sweatband. The leather got treated with Lexol wipes.

The felts , while on blocks got treated many times with Scout Hat Cleaner (in this case for dark hats). It worked on the stains on felt and brim edge. It was sprayed, almost dried and then vigorously hat brushed off/clean. The hats went back to the garage refrigerator, but this time the freezer overnight.

i-BmWVCcX-M.jpg

The hats cleaning went excellent! Hat pic below (all 3 cleaned with same method and pre- stemming with flange and final creases).

i-9K2DfkR-M.jpg

I hope the above encourages hat folks to confidently address your favorite fedora. Best, Eric -

g.durand

One Too Many
I know this has been mentioned before but bears a repeat for newer members who may be considering doing this for the first time.

Notice how Eric has everything set up out in his yard. Be sure you do this outdoors and far away from any source of flame. Naphtha and camp fuel are not good for you if you inhale the vapors so good ventilation is necessary. The liquid can irritate the skin and can be absorbed through the skin, so as Eric mentioned, wear chemical resistant gloves. And finally, the stuff is extremely flammable, including the vapors. Don't smoke, light a match, or do this anywhere near your live grill or BBQ pit, a water heater, etc. You really wouldn't want to see what would happen if it ignites. Your hat would be the least of your worries at that point. :eeek:

Here's a link to info about naphtha handling and exposure. The same recommendations would be in order for camp fuel as the two are closely related petroleum distillates:

http://www.collectioncare.org/MSDS/naphthamsds.pdf

And finally, a (somewhat) similar process with similar hazards is described here. Listen to the man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t2dwPTnsyA

--The Fedora Lounge Safety Committee

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21