Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson/Akubra Open Road

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
According to Akubra's literature, in 1951, Akubra finalized a deal with Stetson to manufacture and distribute Stetson hats in Australia. This 3X Beaver Quality Stetson Open Road is an example of that collaboration. As such, it is a relatively rare piece of Stetson/Akubra history, and provides a perfect example of the official predecessor of Akubra's "Campdraft."

The color of this lid I would characterize as a Willow Green. The open crown stands at 5 1/2", and the brim width is 2 5/8". The original sweat was removed as part of the restoration of this hat, and its width is slightly over 1 1/4" -- thereby mirroring the width of the sweat in today's Akubra Campdraft. The "Open Road" inscription on the sweat is reminiscent of the "Open Road" script found on the original 1937 version of the Stetson Open Road. Under the "3X Beaver Quality" logo on the sweat is printed "Made in Australia Under Licence." The back of the sweat reveals a price tag of $10.95.

The felt has a coarse feel to it -- reminiscent of today's Akubras, and quite different from the hand of a contemporaneous 3X Beaver Quality Stetson made in Philly. That being said, the felt itself is smooth in appearance, and is essentially a dress weight.

As is often the case with green lids, the color is hard to photograph, and changes with the light. The direct sunlight shots are fairly accurate, while the shots taken in a flat light tend to bring out more gray. I have photographed this lid next to its progeny -- a bluegrass green Akubra Campdraft. The 3X is slightly lighter in color, and has a tad more yellow in it (which is common for Willow Green).

So, this is the "missing link", if you will -- reflecting the Stetson hat that would later become Akubra's Campdraft...

AOR-1.jpg

OR-CD-1.jpg

SweatLogo-2.jpg

Sweatband.jpg

OR-Sweat.jpg

PriceTag-1.jpg

Liner-30.jpg

AOR-2.jpg

OR-CD-2.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
It's wonderfull to finally see an example of this hat.Have read much about them but your's is the FIRST example I have seen !! Makes me wish the CD was MORE like the original :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
ANOTHER ONE !!! Where have you guy's been stashing these :) Have you ever creased it and worn it ? I do like that light grey color !! The heck with a CD, I'll just have to search till I find one of the "originals" :)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
How do the dimensions compare? I can see they are close, but with the Campdraft creased, it is hard to tell about the crown.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
My Campdrafts have a higher crown in open crown than 5 1/2 inches that Jimmy is stating for the Akubra made Open Road. The CD brim is 2 7/8 where his OR is 2 5/8. I am assuming the flange is comparable...

Thanks. I think that is a little interesting that the CD is bigger, at least slightly than the comparable Open Road. Did you notice the different ribbon treatment at the bow?

Thanks. I think that is a little interesting that the CD is bigger, at least slightly than the comparable Open Road. Did you notice the different ribbon treatment at the bow?

Yep, the Stetson has the loops boxed against the ribbon where the Akubra has them raised up & against the crown.
I have a vintage OR where the loops are raised. I have a modern Stetson Road Master where the loops are boxed against the ribbon.

Curiosity got the best of me. I finally found a "Stetson" Open Road made in Australia by Akubra under license. Not a bad hat at all. The felt is quite different than modern Campdrafts. Not stiff at all. I like it. Seller's photos below:

Way cool, Rick. Good get. Did you source it from eBay?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Curiosity got the best of me. I finally found a "Stetson" Open Road made in Australia by Akubra under license. Not a bad hat at all. The felt is quite different than modern Campdrafts. Not stiff at all. I like it. Seller's photos below:

Nice find. An Akubra Stetson.

Nice looking OR is it rare to find an Aussie Stetson? Cool find!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana